Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I brought mazda3 from a dealer in NJ and I live in CT, and the dealer took the money for registration and issued me temp. plates which are expiring today 9th Jan. The dealer says he will issue me the permanent plates only on wednesday, what should I do, I still do not believe that he will be able to issue them on wednesday as he was saying till now that he will get them in next 1-2 days.

Any suggestions ??

Regards
Shravan

EDIT: Topic heading :twisted:

·
Registered
267 Posts
WTF? Here in BC Canada, we get NEW licence plates on the day we buy our car. No waiting... no temp plates... just brand spanking new, nice, shiny plates with a 30 minute wait.

One more case of the USA being stuck in the dark ages. lol TERROR ALERT!! My licence plates haven't come in! Sorry... had to do that.

·
Registered
947 Posts
He bought a car from a state different from the one he is registering the car in. New Jersey dealers most likely do not carry CT permanent plates.

Many states offer same-day plates on new-car purchases, but not for cars regiestered in another state.

It's rare to see temporary plates these days. My car still carry temporary plates because I bought it in Maryland and lives in Virginia.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it that much. As long as you get them within a week of the expiration date, you should be ok. At least, that's how it works here in AZ. My friend just got their plates, 5 days after their temps expired and was never hassled by the police. Just wondering, why does the dealer issue you your plates? We receive ours in the mail from the DMV (or MVD here in AZ).

·
Registered
36 Posts
dja0323 said:
Just wondering, why does the dealer issue you your plates? We receive ours in the mail from the DMV (or MVD here in AZ).
The NJ DMV is in the Dark Ages... We get temp plates at the dealer, and pay a fee to the dealer (part of the title/licensing fees) to have them go to the DMV & get our plates for us. They actually have to send someone to do this in person at the DMV. In NJ, this is a nightmare, so is worth every penny of the fees. I would guess that because his car is being registered in CT, they are sending someone to the CT DMV... and it's conceivable that they would only do this say, every other week as opposed to maybe twice a week in NJ.

To quote Les Claypool of Primus, "I've been to Hell, I spell it, spell it D-M-V. Anyone who's been there knows precisely what I mean."

·
Registered
245 Posts
I guess you could go to the dealer and tell them you want temporary plates extended until they get you the real ones... its not fair to make you risk the ticket.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Here in Indiana we have to go to the BMV ourselves. Hours:

Mon: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Tues: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Wed: 8:30am - 12:30pm
Thurs: 8:30am - 6:30pm
Fri: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Sat and Sun: Not OPEN

I would love for someone else to get my plates so I don't have to miss an hour and a half of work at my 8 to 5 job that is 40 minutes from my license branch to get my plates. I might get lucky on Thursday if the line isn't insanely long with people wanting to renew their plates or their licenses and they decided to go in after work too.

My dealership is also giving me ten days after I get my registration to get my permanant plate (10 regular days = 8 or less BMV days). Oh yeah and don't forget to count about 30 holidays into that too. Government jobs are the friggin' laziest jobs and most of the people that work at the BMV are foreigners anyway! What the hell is that. Want the easy life? Move to the US and work for the US Government. You'll make more than the average citizen and you'll work a hell of a lot less!!!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
mnemonicj said:
Here in Indiana we have to go to the BMV ourselves. Hours:

Mon: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Tues: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Wed: 8:30am - 12:30pm
Thurs: 8:30am - 6:30pm
Fri: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Sat and Sun: Not OPEN

I would love for someone else to get my plates so I don't have to miss an hour and a half of work at my 8 to 5 job that is 40 minutes from my license branch to get my plates. I might get lucky on Thursday if the line isn't insanely long with people wanting to renew their plates or their licenses and they decided to go in after work too.

My dealership is also giving me ten days after I get my registration to get my permanant plate (10 regular days = 8 or less BMV days). Oh yeah and don't forget to count about 30 holidays into that too. Government jobs are the friggin' laziest jobs and most of the people that work at the BMV are foreigners anyway! What the hell is that. Want the easy life? Move to the US and work for the US Government. You'll make more than the average citizen and you'll work a hell of a lot less!!!
Tell us how you really feel :) I agree that paying $50-100 to get plates for you may be worth it to people who work 9-5 type jobs, like myself (8-4:30). It looks like the only time to get them in your area is on Thursday, if you are lucky.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Weird... In Colorado, all dealers give out temp plates (of course we pay the $2.50 for it) and they are good for 45 days. Usually, within a few weeks, the little card comes back saying the title is in the DMV system and we can pick up plates.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The Mazda dealer in Maryland wanted to charge me $10 for handling the application for new plates with Virginia DMV. But they took it off.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
LeeLee said:
The Mazda dealer in Maryland wanted to charge me $10 for handling the application for new plates with Virginia DMV. But they took it off.
talk about fine combing your paperwork 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts