Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, all 3 production will take place in Japan. I find this interesting considering that a car with less volume - the 6 - is produced in the states. Producing a low cost / high volume car like the 3 in Japan seems like a weird move to me - but I guess that's why I'm not an industry exec :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well the Mazda6 replaced the 626, so they continued production at the same plant in the US. I imagine the 3 will be produced at the same place the Protege/Protege 5 was.

Building the Mazda3 in the US would mean either building it alongside the Focus (which a lot of people wouldn't like), or building a new plant.

They couldn't build it alongside the 6 at AutoAlliance Int'l, there's just not enogh room. Along with the 6 hatch and wagon, the 2005 Ford Mustang is scheduled to be built there soon.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I never expected it would be built at the same plant. I didn't know the Mustang was going to be built at that plant though. That's interesting news.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
As far as I'm concerned that's great news!

My 01 Pro ES has about 66.000kms (or so) on it right now and it's tight as ever - VERY well put together!!!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Yeah, I remember the news letter on the Ford Motor Co. site annouced it. I bet the workers at that plant were happy. Talk about the overtime and PHAT paychecks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Although it will be built at the one Plant...

the benefit here is that the quality levels should be high and consistent to all customers around the world :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts