Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local dealer today to check out the 3's for the first time. I was so excited I didn't even park my car properly at the carpark (crappy Lancer). I saw a 3 on the road last Sat on its first day release and I was so jealous of whoever was behind the wheel. It was on the Sydney M4 and it was going twice the speed limit. Some serious test drive going on.

As the subject suggests, I found out something new from the dealer dude. He said the reason why the just released Neo/Maxx models don't have audio-controls on the steering wheels is coz they're a 2003 release. He said all 2004 releases should have the controls. He said this new batch might come around Feb (which I think is an overestimate). Nevertheless, it appears an enhanced breed arriving soon might be worth waiting for. There could be other surprises. :D

To save writing an essay, here are my other notes:
- The Sedan boot is deeper than the Hatch, but missing the Hatch's bigger opening and boot underfloor storage tray.
- The interior isn't as roomy as suggested, but quite comfy. No need to worry about your personal space being intruded upon.
- The interior plastics aren't sophisticated - they can look cheap depending on how fussy you are.
- Clear-tail lights can be purchased as Options for the Neo and Maxx/Sport, that's what I was told anyway.
- The front cargo box is huge coz its deep. Put a bag of ice in there and it becomes an instant mini fridge.
- The drink holders next to the gear knob are misplaced, but then where else might they have put them...
- The bum panel of the Sedan looked a bit empty, like a blank face... and the Hatch looks sissy without a spoiler.
- LED brake lights are only available on the SP23
- Brochures and Spec Guides are now available.
- I told the dealer about this forum, he might join us soon and give us a better wrap.

I've written a lil too much. In conclusion, I say go for the SP23, priced at $33,081.00 on road by the dealer, coz with the 2.3L engine and other enhancements, it's better than a Maxx Sport valued at $29,152.00 on road. Unless there's a better car at that price out there, I don't know. I been watching the 3 for months upon months, to the point where I'm jus sick of it now.

Not. :wink:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Exciting news, but im taking it cautiously.

I just find it strange that mazda would bother making a 2003 MZ3 (thats released in 04) .. unless they just wanted an excuse to have a 2003 mazda3 run out sale :?

In addition, I believe (someone correct me if im wrong) that in the US, even though the mazda3 was released in 2003, it was still the 2004 model (no such thing as 03 mazda3 in the US).

Just sounds a bit suspicious.. but would be good news if its true.
(p.s. i would be interested to see if someone could post the options\accessories on this fourm.. that would be really useful considering that mazda has been lazy updating the website, and i have been lazy contacting my dealer to find out any new information :D )

·
Registered
372 Posts
I find it hard to believe that Mazda would do a "limited" edition for Australia. The vehicles are build at the factory to Aussie spec, and adding audio controls would not be a big deal (considering that they are std or optional for NA models). But since I'm still saving up, and actually preferring a 04 build model, if that is true then Oh Yeah!!

Re the storage bin in lieu of Sat Nav on the MZ6, I've also noticed that the MZ2 has that as well. Maybe some of you prefer the clean lines on the dash, but I'd prefer to have a storage area on the MZ3 too - good for keeping stuff.

I believe the the MZ3 is a 2004 model worldwide.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Spook my sisters Daihatsu Sirion even has one of those storage bins on the dash :?

I would have liked it on the MZ3, really great for keeping CDs in.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Supernova3: Were there any other details given by your dealer?

If there is going to be an updated model they might have those colour coded door parts which I am so fussy about. :twisted:

·
Registered
372 Posts
There's no reason why your dealer can't get colour coded door handles and side protection mouldings for you. These will be standard parts, and the service dept should be able to fix them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Arghh i saw on the Mazda site the 3 has an unpainted grille top!! You have to pay extra as well to get it done which is in the accessories.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Supernova3 said:
He said the reason why the just released Neo/Maxx models don't have audio-controls on the steering wheels is coz they're a 2003 release. He said all 2004 releases should have the controls. He said this new batch might come around Feb (which I think is an overestimate).
i dont think this is true because just today i was at my local dealer and checked out five models, all were badged 01/04 and were spec'd the same as what we are hearing.

neo > black handles etc. steering wheel audio is only on sp23 etc etc

·
Registered
126 Posts
they are badged 2004. but the build date is 2003 (boot under carpet).

like who cares! there is no model changes for five years. thats in the factory handbook... which is good for the buyer better re-sale values.

i really think they will not change much specs in all models.. they get more $ from add on accessory sales.... 'come on.. really do you think those silver surrounds around the side indicators are really worth $150!

i have been so reserved when im talking to the sales people.. i have to admit that we 'researchers' have more general knowledge than they do..

IMO, do your own running around b4 putting your deposit down.

-=Black Mica SP23
-=18in RX8 Wheels

·
Registered
35 Posts
shaund said:
they are badged 2004. but the build date is 2003 (boot under carpet).

i have been so reserved when im talking to the sales people.. i have to admit that we 'researchers' have more general knowledge than they do..
oh! i thought the build date was on the metal badge under the bonnet! thanks for the tip :)

and yeah, i'm reserved too. i just want to be left alone to look and feel, the car salesmen ive spoken to have no idea! im not even a car enthusiast, i just read some forums, check out the net and i know more than they do!

this one sales guy actually walked away saying "we've only just got the car, i don't know, too hard" when i asked about replacing rear tail lights!? what a boof head, the girl in spare parts was happy to help me and it only took her five minutes ( at the same dealership!! )

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yep, Neo models get the black strip above the grille. Better than the chrome on the MZ6 IMO. The build plate on the 3 is on the body below the driver's seat. Just open the door and you'll see the plate (it's black).

I've posted a reply on this topic on "Audio Controls for the Maxx", and basically, my dealer has also told me that 2004 built Maxx will have them. So if you're after Maxx, best to wait.

·
Registered
176 Posts
comebacktomorrow said:
In addition, I believe (someone correct me if im wrong) that in the US, even though the mazda3 was released in 2003, it was still the 2004 model (no such thing as 03 mazda3 in the US).

[\quote]

I think when Americans quote Model years it runs from financial year,not calendar year. I remeber there was a lot of talk in the MZ6 forums around June/July about the '2004 Model Options' for the 6.

Nope It does'nt really make sense when the car is built in XX/03 to say that it is an 04 Model but that is how I think they do it.

I'm sure if I am wrong I will be crispy burnt by the end of this thread :(

·
Registered
308 Posts
Keep in mind an 03 build is worth a lot less than an 04 build in resale value, the calendar year difference is like a race horse, the December 03 build is in reality considered to be a year older than its January 04 twin, I know it sounds illogical but thats just the way things are.

Dealers have runout pricing on 03 builds about now, of course with the high demand for the 3 and the number of people ignorant about the above means there will be no runout deals on the Mazda 3.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Supernova3 said:
As the subject suggests, I found out something new from the dealer dude. He said the reason why the just released Neo/Maxx models don't have audio-controls on the steering wheels is coz they're a 2003 release. He said all 2004 releases should have the controls.
From what you have said here neo gets audio controls?

·
Registered
519 Posts
fiordland said:
Keep in mind an 03 build is worth a lot less than an 04 build in resale value, the calendar year difference is like a race horse
haha! i'd like to see the dealer that retakes back a car because of the false advertisement of a "2004" model with a 2003 build date - or alternatively the lawsuit for misrepresentation of goods! :twisted:

altho really, who here in australia has a 03 build date? mine is 01/04, having arrived here from japan on Jan 30th...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts