Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an interesting cross-post from the Edmunds forum:

I get a daily fax from mazda with specific mazda news for dealers....today's fax had a juicy tid bit that is good news for current and future MZ3 owners. Mazda is sold out of production for the MZ3 world wide. This does not mean you can not order a car, but it does mean that they have so many orders that dealers will not be getting "extra" cars beyond normal allocation.

The Tribute had this happen during the intro year...we had people waiting months for Tributes. Luckily MZ3 production will well exceed intro Tribute numbers.

Link: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/[email protected]@.ef130a7/5024

In essence I think it means that if you want a particular setup then you better hope your dealer or one close by has already ordered one or has space left to order one.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Remember, Mazda does not specially build cars for you when you order them - you just get the car you want when one of those is produced.

So even if you can order one, this still may cause problems.

·
Registered
314 Posts
:shock:

Hot damn! I hope my dealer got my order in on time! This means one thing though... if you don't value your prized Mazda3, you can sell it quick at a profit on eBay... but who would want to do that?!?!

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
No you couldn't, bob... sold out of production is not the same as sold out of cars. There's still plenty of cars sitting in Japan and dealerships and such, and they're still being produced - just all the ones being produced are intended for a certain area, not certain people.

·
Registered
272 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Remember, Mazda does not specially build cars for you when you order them - you just get the car you want when one of those is produced.

My Mazda dealer told me they can order a car for me from the factory... :?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, what MZ6ZoomZoom said. If your dealership hasn't already put in all its orders, then they can still get some in as well -- for example, if they've been allocated 70 units but have only ordered 40 so far then they still have space to order 30 more. If they have 35 people wanting to order, though, then 5 people aren't going to be able to do so (i.e. they can't order any more/"extra" above what they've been allocated). There's also the possibility that your dealership can trade for the car you want if another dealership close by has one or is getting one.

·
Registered
272 Posts
DrewSG said:
Does this mean dealers are gonna be less likely to sell at a lower price for some cars?
This is probably all part of a typical conspiracy designed to keep prices (and hype) up for a hot, recently-introduced car. We saw it with the Mitsubishi Evolution. People were terrified at the low number Mitsu said they were going to import. Well, the same 4 Evos have been sitting on my local dealer's lot since they arrived months and months and months ago. Same thing with the new Z. When introduced, there was price gouging like no other. Now, there's stock-a-plenty and discounts to be had.

All this will go away in 6 months. Either way, my dealer assured me, in writing, that they can do a special order from the factory, so I'm not worrying one bit.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Concur

Yup,

They see demand; they'll meet it in 6 months. Yeah, for now it's hyped. In 6 months you'll see the 3's everywhere and maybe you won't be too compelled to buy one.

Great car, maybe too great :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think it's hype. According to the original poster of the information, the notice was just part of a daily fax that is sent to Mazda dealerships. It was probably just intended to let dealers know that they won't be able to order any more than they've been allocated. It makes sense for Mazda to let the members of their dealer network know that kind of information. Whether or not it was intended that the information in the bulletin be shared with the general public is questionable.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Yeah, guys, this means absolutely NOTHING, for the most part.

USCMazda3 said:
MZ6ZoomZoom said:

You can... but they don't custom build it for you, you just go into the order queue and whenever one is produced that matches your specs, and you're the next in line, you get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Econ 101 - Supply/Demand.

If you want it NOW, you PAY. If you can wait a few months, you can SAVE. Most new cars enjoy a post-launch "bump"...until the next new car comes along. Although for an economy car it is a bit unusual.

Free enterprise and a sensationalist media, perfect together! Happy holidays!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Yeah, guys, this means absolutely NOTHING, for the most part.

USCMazda3 said:
MZ6ZoomZoom said:

You can... but they don't custom build it for you, you just go into the order queue and whenever one is produced that matches your specs, and you're the next in line, you get it.
So you're saying the options/color combo is already predetermined and all you can do is sit around and hope that the car you want will roll off the line?

·
Registered
272 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Well they won't let you order one that won't be built, but essentially... yes.
This frustrates me. What's the point of having an online configurator if I can't order a car exactly the way I configure it (provided that the options/color combo I want is allowed)?

In Japan, it is possible to order a Miata (forget the JDM name), Axela, or Familia online exactly the way the customer wants it...Over 3,000,000 possible combos, not including color. Why isn't this system avaliable to US dealers/customers? Grrrr...:evil:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts