Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mazda Sales For January 2004

http://www.triplezoom.com/news/publish/article_118.shtml

Mazda has their own write-up on these figures, but here's my reaction.

Protege - Remaining stock is dwindling. I expect another 1500 proteges to be sold in February as the sales taper off.

Mazda3 - The big story here is two folds: one is that sales of 4426 units is more than double the sales in December of 1921 units. I guess people are beginning to take notice. The Mazda3 is now the best-selling car in their line-up. Keep in mind that many Proteges were sold in place of the Mazda3, so take those two figures and extrapolate what Mazda3 sales would have been...

626 - believe it or not, there are still some out there. The Mazda dealer in Tysons Corner VA has five or six that I saw, maybe more in the back lot. All "brand new".

Mazda6 - I am a bit worried about the Mazda6. Maybe they pushed it too hard as a sporty family sedan. I think maybe the advertising should have spent a bit more time with the underlying goodness of this car. Still sales that nearly doubles last year's figures is pretty good.

Millenia - Never sat in one or looked at one.

Miata - I can't help but wonder if the Miata is still profitable for Mazda. I know Mazda wants to cater to the existing customer base, but 142HP is just too few. Maybe offer a more powerful Miata with 180HP, and also a ultra-lightweight Miata "Type-X" with the 142HP engine?

RX8 - Weeeeee!

MPV - Bring over the Mazda6 Wagon, and make the MPV larger. Forget about making it a driver's car. Minivan drivers have already decided to drive a boring car. Otherwise they would have bought a wagon. Make it large, make it powerful, and make it pretty.

Mazda Truck - Why even bother. Despite similarities with the Ranger, is this even 1/10th the sales volume?

Tribute - Maybe next time they redesign it, Mazda can have more of a say about the vehicle.

Overall, I am a bit surprised at how few vehicles Mazda sell. I've always regarded them as one of the bigger manufacturers in the US. On well, they are at least in a good position in terms of the compact and mid-size vehicles.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
On the MPV, I think that the "sporty" angle is Mazda's best Niche.

The MPV is a decent choice and is sortier than everthing else except the new Quest. I can't speak for all minivan buyers but if I "decided" to drive a boring car I would have bought an SUV, or a sedan.

Mazda is suppsed to replace the MPV with a new minivan based on the Mazda6 platform. The Mazda6 wagon wouldn't cut it, not being 7 passenger and having less than half the useful cargo are.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. Maybe it's not as bad as we thought earlier. Nearly 5000/mo is almost right in line with their target of 70000/year.

I read on Bruno's site that Mazda will start a big ad push next month and also significantly increase avaliability and supply during March, April, and May.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Stop making MPV bigger! I bought a 03' MPV last week because it's the smallest in it's class and handles way better than other (Sienna, Quest, Odessy...).

·
Registered
526 Posts
USCMazda3 said:
I read on Bruno's site that Mazda will start a big ad push next month and also significantly increase avaliability and supply during March, April, and May.
Can you post a link to Bruno's site? I'd like to check it out.

I also got the same message from my dealer this weekend. He said the next major shipment is expected in April.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice link. Being a numbers guy, enjoyed the sales #s. I did not realize the Mazda 6 had been out over a year so surprised to see the Jan 03 numbers.

Kevin

·
Registered
272 Posts
neoriffic said:
USCMazda3 said:
Can you post a link to Bruno's site? I'd like to check it out.

I also got the same message from my dealer this weekend. He said the next major shipment is expected in April.
Sure. His site has more info than you could possibly know what to do with.

http://groups.msn.com/BrunoLuong/

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Great to see the Mazda3's sales picking up so quickly! Unfortunately I still haven't seen any on the roads in my area since its Nov/Dec launch.

The Mazda6's sales are pretty astonishing, given that it was selling nearly 6000-7000 units/month towards the end of the year (with incentives). It could be that the reduced sales are due to the anticipated release of the 6wagon and 6hatch.

Overall, Mazda's off to a slow start for 2004. They sell about 250k units per year (which is pretty small considering Honda/Toyotas ~1 million each) and are on track to sell 225k right now. Luckily, the beginning of the year, sales are pretty slow and will pick up as soon as Winter's over.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
zaimon said:
It could be that the reduced sales are due to the anticipated release of the 6wagon and 6hatch.
I think this is what it is. Tons of people are waiting for the hatch over on mazda6club.

·
Registered
86 Posts
As far as the Miata being profitable I believe the answer is yes. In fact until very recently Mazda sold the Miata at a very high price for the content. Although US volume on the Miata has trended down strongly since the 2001 hp debacle, the other export markets are doing very well. In fact the 2003 sales figures for the UK alone were basically identical to the entire US volume in '03. The announcment of the 2004 Madzaspeed Miata means any current product will need to be discounted like crazy. Who would pay 25k for a Miata LS when the Turbo model is priced the same.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I read in a recent announcement from Ford that Mazda worldwide sales in 2003 were 1.04 million vehicles.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Oops, I was a little off. Mazda global sales in 2003 were 1.068 million vehicles. Up 14.1% from 2002.

Not a shabby little company.

Sales were up 25.8% in Europe, 5.6% in Japan, flat in the USA (small increase in retail sales, significant drop in lease sales), -7.9% in Canada, 250% in China (starting from a very low number) and +35.9% in Australia.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The size & sporty handling of the MPV is what separates it from all of the other minivans. If Mazda makes it bigger, it would have to be much, much better (ie. more power, more room, higher feature content, better styling, lower/competitive price) than everyone else just to compete (witness the transformation of the Quest). But the Sienna, Quest, & the to-be-released Odyssey has been pushing the size & feature limits of the minivan market to astronomical heights, so competing with these giants on their own turf would be a major challenge. There is a niche for a small minivan, & the MPV fits the bill perfectly.

LeeLee said:
Minivan drivers have already decided to drive a boring car. Otherwise they would have bought a wagon.
There are other reasons why someone would buy a minivan over a wagon, like seating for 7? And no, I would not settle for a boring vehicle, even if it is a minivan.

·
Registered
28 Posts
LeeLee

I wish we could get are Bravo's down here in 6cyl form as we only have the choice of 2.6i 4cyl or a 2.5 Turbo 4 diesel. :cry:

I would have a Orange 4x4 if I could get one. :D

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
jintegra said:
...the Sienna, Quest, & the to-be-released Odyssey has been pushing the size & feature limits of the minivan market to astronomical heights, so competing with these giants on their own turf would be a major challenge.
US models of these minivans were developed due to US demands, large and powerful. I highly doubt that they'd make as big a splash in the international market.

Mazda, fortunately, designs its cars based on a world market, so with their larger vehicles (Mz6, MPV) we get cars that are smaller than their competitors. I don't consider it a shortcoming, since I don't like larger vehicles, but the trend in the Mazda lineup reflects their limited financial capabilities in developing model lines targeted specifically for US demands. Fortunately, for us, we get very innovative and enticing Mazdas while American Hondas and Toyotas stay boring and mundane. I say keep it up Mazda!

On a related note, The MPV works as the only import with a short wheelbase, unfortunately it also competes with the Chrysler trio (Caravan, Town and Country, Voyager), which offer both short and long wheelbase designs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts