Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote from Motor Trend Magazine

As the auto industry turns its attention to hydrogen fuel as a gasoline alternative, the RX-8 Hydrogen RE offers a hydrogen-powered version of RENESIS--Mazda's next-generation rotary engine introduced last year in the all-new RX-8, and winner of the 2003 International Engine of the Year award. Due to its unique nature, the rotary engine can run on hydrogen with very little modification. The RENESIS engine has the injection, compression, ignition, and exhaust areas separated from each other so no pre-ignition of the gas occurs, whereas the more common reciprocating gasoline engine needs substantial development to run on hydrogen to avoid pre-ignition on the intake cycle. This rotary engine has been developed with a dual-fuel system, allowing it to run on either gasoline or hydrogen, offering flexibility to promote the usage of hydrogen fuel and the development of a supporting infrastructure. Mazda is still several years off producing a hydrogen car for customer use, but it is actively pursuing this alternative fuel system with the RX-8.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It's not even just the hydrogen- it's the Renesis as well. I absolutely love that engine. It seems so much more sophisticated compared to a conventional engine.

Honestly, I'm disappointed with car engines, in terms of advancement. It seems extremely feeble to me that they're all controlled by intricate timing mechanism. While simple machines are great and all, I think there's a limit to how many you should be allowed to use in any given system. I blame the lack of advancement on the petrol industry, although I have nothing to back that up but my own suspicions.

That being said, the Renesis is really the only engine I've ever seen to re-invent the combustion engine. Combining all strokes of a piston into a single stroke of a rotor is ingenious. Add hydrogen capabilities to that engine makes it that much more appealing.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Kazbaeden said:
That being said, the Renesis is really the only engine I've ever seen to re-invent the combustion engine. Combining all strokes of a piston into a single stroke of a rotor is ingenious. Add hydrogen capabilities to that engine makes it that much more appealing.
Werd :)

1.3L and tons of displacement!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts