Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consider this post as a 'visually informative only' and for those that are simply mechanically inquisitive like I am. I don't want to be responsible for any damages you guys do to your turbo if you decide you want to teardown yours. ;)

I managed to get a trio of used Mazda turbos for rather cheap, two from a speed6 and one from a cx7. Since I haven't seen any detailed teardowns of this particular turbo, I decided to perform a tear down on one of the three that was in the worst condition. I was just interested in the inner workings of the turbo and also wanted to see if I could at least diagnose the problem w/ seals and such on the older K04 turbos. I'm going to send one of them to PG for a rework and may sell off the remaining one.

I botched the teardown and failed to notice the nut on the exhaust turbine wheel/shaft was left-hand threaded. So I stripped both the threads on the aluminum compressor wheel and also on the nut. I now have a nifty paper weight to put on my desk at work. Otherwise, the teardown was pretty easy. Only two parts needed the help of a torch and a puller for separation. Those parts that required added effort were separating the CHRA from the exhaust turbine housing and also separating the compressor backplate from the compressor housing. CHRA/exhaust turbine housing is just friction fitted. The backplate and compressor housing had a combination of sealant and friction fitted. Anyhow, there is only one true o-ring/gasket throughout entire assembly and it is on the compressor side. All it does is seal off the compressor backplate from the CHRA. As for the exhaust turbine side, there is not true 'seal' per se....there is only one metal ring/clip that rotates rather freely on the exhaust turbine shaft, isolating the turbine wheel from the oiled CHRA. I'm not sure how other turbos isolate the exhaust turbine from the CHRA, so I'll have to do some research into how they seal that part of the turbo assembly off.

The condition of the shaft that rotates within the journal bearing in the CHRA is in good condition, still polished and the serial number printed on the shaft is still legible. Also, I was surprised to see the lack of ball-bearings pressed within the CHRA...only a twin oil feed journal bearing.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Agreed, thanks for sharing. Please keep us updated with more pics and detailed information. I am very curious to know more about this turbo.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whoops. Played around with the folder name on the server and forgot to update the link. Fixed now.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you guys want....I can do a little how-to on tearing down the stock K04 turbo. I've taken the part and put the thing back together a few times and it's not too hard to do.

In fact, I think I can rebuild this thing w/ new seals and bearings. I've compared the internals of the rotating assembly and it looks like the rebuild kits (journal bearings, clips, oil seal, etc) for the audi/vw K04 turbo will be compatible with our turbo.

·
Registered
90 Posts
[quote author=sok07 link=topic=140545.msg3041650#msg3041650 date=1239024721]
If you guys want....I can do a little how-to on tearing down the stock K04 turbo. I've taken the part and put the thing back together a few times and it's not too hard to do.

In fact, I think I can rebuild this thing w/ new seals and bearings. I've compared the internals of the rotating assembly and it looks like the rebuild kits (journal bearings, clips, oil seal, etc) for the audi/vw K04 turbo will be compatible with our turbo.
[/quote]

that would be pretty cool..you already helped me with your walkthru of the DP, this would be another one added to the list.

·
Registered
130 Posts
great write up. I also snapped the nut on the turbine shaft.....who uses reverse threads!!!!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
[quote author=sok07 link=topic=140545.msg3041650#msg3041650 date=1239024721]

[/quote]
Did you ever do this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts