Mazda3 Forums banner

mazda b2200 truck

7K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  aca2983 
#1 ·
hey guys i just bought a '90 b2200 mazda truck from my gramps and the car is sooo weak..its a carburetor 2.2 engine but only 95 hp..its really old and i need some advice on what i should replace to make it run better and faster..i know rebuilding the carb will help but do you have some other advice on wat i should replace? fuel filter..spark plug wires..distributor? any thing like that? thanks in advance

#5 ·
replace the air filter and spark plugs and fuel filter, and clean the carbs if you can. Other than that you should be fine.

#6 ·
The carb is probably fine actually.

The n/a 2.3L engines are just pretty gutless. *If* you want to spend the money, a 2.3T swap could be in order, but to do it right would necessitate a conversion to EFI. There are some cams and other parts available for the engine, but none of them will make much difference with that n/a engine.

#7 ·
the good old b2200....flash backs :D

I had one back in high shool. This is what I did....
Rebuilt the engine, replaced piston with aftermarket ones, lightened(spelling?) the flyweel, mashined cam-shaft, bronce clutch, accel coil, accel spark plug wires, bosh +4 spark plugs, modified intake with weber progresive carburator, electric fuel pump with regulator, pace headers, 3 line radiator, electric fans, custom cold air intake. That's all I temember right now. This was highschool project and man it was fast for that time.

As an adult, I got the one on my signature to hit the high 10's on a quater mile on a 12a rotary engine with $5,000 worth of machineshop work done to it, (well build to say the least), b2600i rearend with '91 Mazda rx7 GTU internals, MSD ignition, Turbo II transmission, 650 Holley carburator double pump ect. This one was sick as hell. On the street it was the sweetest thing. I could take some V-8's for lunch.

#8 ·
Sweet.

I had (and am still part owner) of a 93 B2200. Short bed, gray SE-5 package, 5-speed with A/C. This was the last year of the "true" Mazda-made truck.

Sure it's slow, but just deal. They are tough little trucks and will last a long time, and you'd be surprised how much 95hp can haul. Sometimes they smoke in winter on startup. This is almost normal, and don't be alarmed. They are known to do this for literally hundreds of thousands of miles. I switched to a high-mileage oil, and all is well. If the carb is fine, don't mess with it. Don't drive it hard, because it's just not meant for that...

If you keep it stock, spend about $100-150 and get some new shocks. Best investment I ever made in it, and it is very easy to do yourself.

I wish you could still buy a nice little simple no b/s truck like this. I love 'em!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.