Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know how many people have had the opportunity to drive both a mazda 3 and a mazda6 at night but the cut off difference is vastly different. I am currently driving a mazda6 as a rental car while my 3 is in the shop. I noticed at night the mazda6 has almost a perfect cut off line with no bleeding and nice clean flares at the right side of each projectors output on the wall.

Im actually curious if anyone has tried to fab a mazda6 projector to a mazda3 headlight or if the lens size is diff? The lens seems to be clear and not frosted like the mazda3 lens. Also, you can clearly see the reflection sheild on the inside when looking into the light. I know some people will say just do the evo lens swap but im looking at other alternatives and am highly impressed with the halogen cutoff on the mazda6.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
im assuming most projectors are the same size. i have heard of people changing out the lens or projector to everything from evo's to tsx's.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No they are not all the same size...they all vary in diameter and depth of the focal point of the lens.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think the mazda 6's are 2.5" and our 3's are 3". The best alternative is the do the lens swap otherwise I would fab some real HID projectors in the 3 rather than the mazda 6's halogen.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I wanted to know lol. I plan to do a retro fit one day when I have time...have a buddy that works for bmw and can get his hands on some salvaged projectors possibly.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Best BMW projectors are in the 2002-04 325xi and 330xi, they come with clear lens. I see them at work from time to time and they're sexy :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
there's a few mazda3's in my area and i'm not too fond of the cutoff from either the halogen or xenon setup. the cutoff is pretty fuzzy compared. if you're going to spend the time and effort changing the projectors you might as well go all the way and use oem xenon projectors. changing to another halogen projector just isn't worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
83 Posts
[quote author=lowincash link=topic=138373.msg2983029#msg2983029 date=1236608404]
there's a few mazda3's in my area and i'm not too fond of the cutoff from either the halogen or xenon setup. the cutoff is pretty fuzzy compared. if you're going to spend the time and effort changing the projectors you might as well go all the way and use oem xenon projectors. changing to another halogen projector just isn't worth it in my opinion.
[/quote]
I have experienced this between different lot of OEM HID's. Sorry that I'm going off topic here. Due to a fender bender, my left headlight assembly had to be replaced in the past. The first set was just awful in terms of cutoff and intensity. Cutoff was fuzzy and intensity was not as bright compared to the original assembly. Dealership tried to tweak it. Didn't work so they decided to replace it again. Cutoff now is better but still isn't as sharp as the original left assembly. Intensity is also better but the hot spot is not spread out evenly when examined closely. I'm annoyed at the level of quality control as I'm on the 3rd left headlight assembly and it's still not as good as the one it replaced. Bottom line is it's not guaranteed that you'll get the same clean cutoffs going from one projector to the next.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have the same experience with my OEM Speed3 HIDs. I've had scuff marks on the projector lense, dust, and different cutoffs on my original lights and the replacements I've gotten. Chalk it up to poor quality control at whichever plant Mazda is having their lights made.

·
Registered
864 Posts
[quote author=astrob0y link=topic=138373.msg2983133#msg2983133 date=1236612017]
or just modify it. :bigsmile:

[/quote]
im really curious, your cut off line at the top is blue,
how is it liek that?
i have 6000k 35w and its green up top did i do something wrong?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been lurking, searching for better projection for M3, but I can't seem to find a solution to my problem. I hope this is not going to be a problem by bumping few months old thread with my own question, which kind of fits here.

Anyway here goes.

I have owned my 3 2.0 GT for almost 3 years now (face lifted). Compared to my dads 6 2.3 GT almost 4 year old car (face lifted already).

I have seen comments everywhere, where people like nice straight cuts, but to be honest I do not like those straight ones, because they do not light right side at all (I drive right side of the road here). They are nice to look at, but I like performance...

M3 is like:

M6 is like:
          _________
          /
        /
____/

Plus on top of that I have complained M3 being very low on left side to the store I bought the car, where they say, that it is fine on the stand when car is at complete stop. I still think they go down little too fast... So by going down very fast, then the right side with " _/ " is going to be kind of low too (it should go upwards, but it goes downward slowly).
Additionally I have found out that M3 changes heights on the go while driving - for example when you accelerate hard, the lights will be toned down, even though I did not add any weight... So after acceleration they will stay down and will not get adjusted up afterward. I have noticed it when stopping behind some other car and I see lights getting adjusted up quite a bit (like inch or even more...). If I notice that right behind other car, then you can imagine what the light will be further away - projection is crap...
Compared to M6 I like those ten times more, because they project really nice light to the right side.

I would like to get something like that to the right side:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/slowe21/IMG_9657.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/slowe21/IMG_9653.jpg
This is M3 left side in Australia.
Right side is good and left side is perfect on those pics (I need mirrored).

Reason why I am asking this because I was driving at 02:00 am few days ago in heavy rain and there were bicyclists on the right and a car coming right at me. So I switched off my full lights (those are awesome on M3) and after that cyclists almost disappeared (almost meaning I would not have noticed them if I was driving on half lights all time), because the cut is too straight...

So here is the question how can I get my lights look like on the picture - mirrored to the right of course. Yes I am willing to pay nice bucks for it, but I need any kind of reference or suggestions and the job has to be done in the store (most probably).

·
Registered
801 Posts
Adjust cutoff shield will be cheap and easy way.

For minimum effort mod, shave this part as you want(blue lined part) to adjust cutoff line. Do not shave other side of elbow point!!
*pic is paint edited just to explain, NOT actual mod-TSX projector

For reference, here is JPN Axela projector cutoff shield look like.

Of course, shield design is fliped since they drive other side of street

·
Registered
197 Posts
[quote author=astrob0y link=topic=138373.msg2983133#msg2983133 date=1236612017]
or just modify it. :bigsmile:

[/quote]

I find it to be fucking ridiculous how good this retro is... If I didn't know any better I would have guessed that you put TSX projectors in the car, or EVO lenses... You did a really good job man! Awesome picture too! May wanna add it to your how to modify the stock halogen projectors!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
[quote author=Llory link=topic=138373.msg3212640#msg3212640 date=1246898430]
I find it to be fucking ridiculous how good this retro is... If I didn't know any better I would have guessed that you put TSX projectors in the car, or EVO lenses... You did a really good job man! Awesome picture too! May wanna add it to your how to modify the stock halogen projectors!
[/quote]

[quote author=astrob0y link=topic=138373.msg2993847#msg2993847 date=1237030025]
If you check out this thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=132434.0 it talks about how i modified it. There's nothing wrong with yours, that's how stock is suppose to look
[/quote]

:)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Good write-up. Looking forward to the pics. Maybe note in the results what method was used to help us determine which mod path to take.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts