Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanna buy a new car and I have been searching for a long time. After narrowing, I focus on these two cars. I really like both of them and It is very hard for me to make a decision. Can anyone give me a suggestion? Thanks in advance all.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
after being an owner of a mazda3 and wanting to be in car shows... and a lover of big wings, i think id like a TC instead of a 3... plus the stock rims pwn. and to be the TC just looks more sporty, or elegant. the 3i looks kinda cheap. and i think the TC would have better options than a 3i. and more power.

the tc has that cool sun or moon roof!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I considered both of the same cars too and haven't regretted my decision. The 3i with a manual will provide similar performance but better fuel economy vs a TC based on my own experiences vs mileage info I've seen posted by TC owners. Performance wise the TC probably has a torque advantage over the 3i (2.4 L Scion vs 2.0 L MZ3i), but real-world acceleration wise I doubt if there's much difference. Very few tC owners seem to average better than mid to upper 20's with their cars where I've averaged better than the car's EPA highway rating (35 mpg) with my 3i over nearly 30k miles. With gas prices averaging well over $2/gal a 5-8 mpg advantage can add quickly add up. As far at a 3i looking cheap vs a tC that's not true-at least in my opinion.

While the TC's sunroof maybe a plus, from what I've read a fair number of owners have experienced problems with them (including broken glass). Also I like the advantage of the 3i's 4-doors vs the tc's two, and the fact that you can get a discount off MSRP with the 3i (I got around $1k off)...there's no room for negotiation under Scion's "pure pricing" policy. Lastly, when I was shopping I found very few TC's available to choose from but plenty of Mazda 3's on local dealers lots. Although Scion's website and dealers indicate only takes a week or to for them to get one in once it's been ordered, based on complaints I've read at some Scion web forums owners seem to have discovered such claims were not true in mnay cases.

Note that I'm not knocking the TC for I've owned several Toyotas over the years and feel their vehicles tend to be be among the most reliable and well built of any I've owned (including my MZ3). But based on what you'll pay and fuel-efficiency IMO a 3i touring will save you both ways vs a tc.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
yeah, he could have a point if your worried about gas mileage. i aint, im just into how the car looks/performance/aftermarket support.

but ive also heard the scions plastic CD cover breaks, but eh, every car has its problems and it doesnt happen to everyone, just be careful.

I paid a little more for a 3S and am happy i did, rather than 3i. but i didnt get the gas milage bonus that 3i's did. but i wanted performance.

what is your "stance" in buying a car? Both the Scion TC and Mazda3 won top10 car awards and all sorts of stuff. seems like the Scion TC and mazda3 and honda civic are the top 3 cars. (Honda Civic is over priced in my opinion tho, 140hp for 18,000? no..)

but are you into:
Economy wise?
Show wise?
Performance wise?

All around?

Im just one buyer, I totally like my car, its quick and can handle the local competition and anything i throw at it, but ehh, I guess im not totally satisfied, but everyone likes it

i got a lip kit on my car and I recieve looks and complements from ppl.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think The 3i is not ugly or cheap looking...Okay the standard hubcaps are kinda ugly but if you get the touring version then it looks like a little BMW; It screams zoom-zoom. I like the solid red tails...They make the rear look really clean. The mesh grill looks more sporty IMO then the painted grill. I would think that the grill's would be switched...Painted bars for i and mesh for s. :) I say get the 3!!!

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
07 2.0 > 04-06 2.0

the 07's definitley don't look as "cheap" as the 04-06's. every time i see an 07 2.0 i have to do a double take because i'm so used to the tails being red.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I really don't understand the importance that some people seem to place on the clear tail lenses.

Perhaps if my car wasn't painted polar white I'd feel differently, but I greatly prefer the contrast created by the red ones against my i's white paint vs how the clear lenses looked on the polar white s model I also considered. I assume there are people who must feel the clear lenses make the cars look more up-market because they were until recently fairly uncommon except on relatively high price vehicles. But clears are pretty common on cars now so I simply don't understand what's the big deal.

Different strokes I guess.... :dunno:

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
HKSpeed's scion TC and mazda3

to me the Scion TC looks more sporty. and thats a mazda3 S with an I to the very right.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
[quote author=CDTMAZDA3 link=topic=65658.msg1128043#msg1128043 date=1167670806]
I really don't understand the importance that some people seem to place on the clear tail lenses.

Perhaps if my car wasn't painted polar white I'd feel differently, but I greatly prefer the contrast created by the red ones against my i's white paint vs how the clear lenses looked on the polar white s model I also considered. I assume there are people who must feel the clear lenses make the cars look more up-market because they were until recently fairly uncommon except on relatively high price vehicles. But clears are pretty common on cars now so I simply don't understand what's the big deal.

Different strokes I guess.... :dunno:

[/quote]

you said it yourself.

i like the way both tails look personally. on the right color of course. i think darker colors look good with the clear tails while the brighter colors look good with the red tails. it also kind of depends on what you're trying to make your car look like (if you're modding). if you want the euro look, red tails ftw. clear tails are more jdm imo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pretty different cars to compare, but ohh well.

With the tC, I test drove it about 2 or 3 times before nixing it. It has a lot of interior room, especially for a coupe, solid pulling power (it outguns the 3i IMO), and the price is decent. Interior quality is also respectable, although not great for the price. The main things that turned me off though were brake pedal feel (a bit too squishy for my tastes) and a jumpy gas pedal (again for my tastes). When I actually bought a car that time around, I ended up with a bit of a compromise in the 06 Civic EX (I didn't test drive a Mazda at that time), which made up for the flaws, had comparable handling, better interior quality, but had less zoom zoom.

With the Mazda, I have superior zoom zoom (although not as good as the Scion still), significantly better handling than either, as good or better interior quality IMO than either, a non-jumpy gas pedal, and a only slightly squishy brake pedal (which was acceptable to me).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts