Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 mazda 3 sedan and whenever I fill it up i have to press the gas to get it started. I have to keep pressing the gas to keep it going for about 15 seconds or it will stall. Other than refueling the car starts and runs fine. If you have any suggesting or idea that would be great. thanks

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
Have you thought about fuel injector cleaner? Lucas brand is the best.

Also, there should be no reason that you have to give it gas to start. Unless something is clogged somewhere... Thats strange. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes i do turn the gas cap until it clicks a few times. Also I've used the injector cleaner but it doesn't seem to help. Is there anyway that the filter may be clogged in the tank?

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
fuel vapor purge valve solenoid is stuck open. Same thing happened to my 3. At the time mine went out they were on backorder but you may be able to get one now. Somewhere is information on finding and testing the valve, if you can not find it I will try and post a picture and location and the test I did on it. ( I blew threw it BTW) I just unhooked mine and plugged the port going into the solenoid and left the tank vent open. If you run with the valve stuck open it may throw a code since it will run lean, it causes a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like that's exactly what i have wrong. How much are the purge solenoid valve? Is that the solenoid that has the blue and red connections by the brake fluid resevour? What year is your car? I wonder if this is a common problem with the 04. Thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there 2 purge solenoid valves or one? if there are two where is the rear one? I apreciate the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there any method out there in which i can test the purge solenoid valve? Just so i don't spend $130 for nothing.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
10 INSPECT PURGE SOLENOID VALVE STUCK OPEN
• Turn ignition switch to off.
• Disconnect both hoses from purge solenoid valve.
• Blow air through purge solenoid valve.
• Does air blow through? Yes Replace purge solenoid valve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the air did not blow through when I disconnected the hoses and blew on it. Maybe there is a short on the solenoid harness? THis is a pain.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Did you blow in both directions? Hmmm, does your car start hard after every fill up? Maybe it is intermittent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I blew it both directions and no flow. Also it does start hard every fuel up. Other than fueling up it idles fine and there is no problems???

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Try this then. Take the hose that feeds the sensor off and plug the sensor with a cap of some sort but leave the line coming from the firewall open so it can vent. See if it is still hard to start after fueling.
No check engine light?

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
[quote author=nixmak link=topic=135450.msg2939074#msg2939074 date=1234749143]
I will give that a shot and we shall see. Thanks for the help.
[/quote]

Not a problem, just hope we figure it out without costing you a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i plugged it up and refueled and it started right up!!!! So that means it's either the PSV stuck open or there is a short for the switch.. correct? How long can i run it like this? THanks for your help!!

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
[quote author=nixmak link=topic=135450.msg2940190#msg2940190 date=1234802057]
i plugged it up and refueled and it started right up!!!! So that means it's either the PSV stuck open or there is a short for the switch.. correct? How long can i run it like this? THanks for your help!!
[/quote]

Well, I would fix it as soon as you could but I have ran mine for about a year with it blocked off and it has not caused any problems. As long as the sensor is plugged so you will not have a vacuum leak you should be okay. If you leave it open it will cause a lean condition that would lead to problems.

Jason

EDIT: Forgot to answer one of your questions.
Even though the sensor passed the test you gave it I would say it is bad as this is such a common problem with our cars. You could look at the harness for signs of rubbing/wear and look at your connection for corrosion but changing the sensor and clearing the code should make you golden.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts