Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 mazda 3, 2.3L. Automatic tranny. I drained the tranny, removed the pan, and changed the filter. Only about 4 litres came out, but the manual says the capacity is 7.2 litres. After filling it with around 4 litres (and also double checking afterwards with the car getting to normal temp) the dipstick shows it is full for the hot range. Is there a bunch of fluid that just doesn't come out? Just a bit confused here. Thanks.

sam

· Registered
88 Posts
[quote author=Undertoww_00 link=topic=193618.msg4073001#msg4073001 date=1310972514]
2004 mazda 3, 2.3L. Automatic tranny. I drained the tranny, removed the pan, and changed the filter. Only about 4 litres came out, but the manual says the capacity is 7.2 litres. After filling it with around 4 litres (and also double checking afterwards with the car getting to normal temp) the dipstick shows it is full for the hot range. Is there a bunch of fluid that just doesn't come out? Just a bit confused here. Thanks.

sam
[/quote]

The rest is in the torque convertor & lines.

The drain and fill is about 4L

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh OK. I just saw the post with pics on how to get rid of the rest through the pump. It's not too late to do that is it (will most of the new fluid still be sitting up front and the old still in the back?). It'd be nice to flush it all out.

· Registered
88 Posts
[quote author=Undertoww_00 link=topic=193618.msg4073341#msg4073341 date=1311013488]
Oh OK. I just saw the post with pics on how to get rid of the rest through the pump. It's not too late to do that is it (will most of the new fluid still be sitting up front and the old still in the back?). It'd be nice to flush it all out.
[/quote]

Its not a good idea...

I ran it by all the techs on my shift and they all said unless u have a machine dont risk letting the tranny get dry or it'll damage stuff..

Just do a drain and fill at your next oil change and then again a few later, then you know your fluid is fine and your tranny hasnt been run dry

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, interesting. Thanks for the advice. It's not my car and I wouldn't want to be responsible for that if it happened. But there's a ton of ppl on this forum who have done it by taking out 3 quarts at a time, then topping it up. Got me thinkin. but I'll probably err on the side of caution.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello ..
I have 04 Mazda 3 2.3L I bought it 5 months ago.my AT light came on and engine light
I went to AutoZone and the told me that shifting selenoid and insufficient coolant temperature for stable operation.
I replaced selenoid transmission oil filter and oil then sensor and thermostat.
Once I finish that the car drove for 3 days and after that only the reverse work when I put it on drive it doesn't move.also I've been told
To put only type m oil by Mazda mechanic
I bought it from Mazda and put it in 4.5 quarts of oil.now only reverse work what could be it be
Green Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Vehicle

· Registered
128 Posts
How far into the transmission did you get? Did you drop the valve body? Did the springs come out? Are you sure you put it back together right? What all exactly inside the transmission did you do?

· Registered
2 Posts
How far into the transmission did you get? Did you drop the valve body? Did the springs come out? Are you sure you put it back together right? What all exactly inside the transmission did you do?
Hello thanks for the response.
I only open the pan and replaced the two shifting solenoid and oil filter and oil.
But my motor jerk back and force and when I replaced my spark plugs there is a lot of oil on it.
I cleaned it and changed the oil.i also hear my passenger side cv axel making noise when I hit small pot holes..I replaced the driver side before the engine sounds good... please help me out

· Registered
2006 Mazda 3 GT Hatch with 2014 Fusion 2.5 swap :)
671 Posts
Oil in the spark plugs sounds like the valve cover gasket is leaking. You should be getting codes with no forward drive, do you have any codes? If the trans had too many miles with no trans fluid change the new fluid may have caused particulate to get loosened up and plug ports in the trans. I would find a trans shop and have it reverse flushed, they may have other tricks if you get a good shop that is familiar with these transmissions. I do know that a gen 2 transmission with work in a gen 1. You can source a used unit 2010-2013. I put a 2010 in my 2008 years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts