Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Theres no hatch in canada ... is there a hatch availble in the US?

I think they're available or going to be available in the UK and it was nice from what i can remember :love:

well if the sales in the US are anywhere near the increase in canada then the 3 has really put mazda back on the map . . . i'd really wish they'd take this into consideration and be true to their customers and issue a recall on the door locks! its really too bad they're not taking more responsibility in this issue!

·
Registered
135 Posts
i came pretty close to the civic....

then i saw a mazda 3, and i came to my senses.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I personally don't like the look of the new Civic either (esp. the split level interior gauges), although I think the sedan does look better than the coupe.

But since I'm a MZ3 owner and not a Mazda salesman, I definitely don't want to see 3 sales overtake Civic sales. I for one would prefer not to see a MZ3 at every intersection, the way we see Civics, especially here in So Cal.

Here in the States, Mazda sold a record 7650 3s in the month of January (link), while Honda sold almost 18,380 Civics (add another 1780 if you count hybrids) (link).

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whoa . . . that is a lot of civics! :shock:

ya actually i know what you mean! i dont want a 3 on every corner here either . . . but at the same time i hate looking at the ugly civic design!

but if we had the type r i would probably have gotten it instead of the 3 . . . it looks sick! split level gauges and all!

·
Registered
82 Posts
When i was thinking about buying a new car it was down to the 3 which i had liked since they came out... and the new Civics which i also liked.... though not as much as the 3.

I seriously considered getting the Civic for the gas mileage alone but my heart was with the 3 and i had wanted one for so long that i thought i would regret it if i didn't follow through and finally get one..
To equip the Civic the way i wanted it [Sun roof , alloy wheels, side sills , stock body kit etc etc basically looking like the SI] it would have cost me quite a bit more than it would've to get the 3 the way i wanted it.

So anyways.. I went with the 3 and i love it so far. There aren't a ton of 3's where i live and the ones i do see are usually "I" models.... there aren't many S-tourings or Grand Tourings that i see often. There are TONS of Civics everywhere. I can tell you that my car turns alot more heads than it would had i been driving a new Civic which is nice looking... but common. People areound here don't recognize the 3 immediatly... but they like it and they always comment or ask about it. The moment where all doubt was erased from my mind about if i chose the right car was the other night when i went to pick up some things from Wal-Mart. I intentionally parked beside a silver Civic so i could look at both cars side by side. The 3 smoked it in my opinion. I took a picture. [Not completly fair because the front of the civic is obscured but here it is]

Overall , i think the 3 is a better car , especially in the looks dept. The only thing the civic has on the 3 is the awesome gas mileage . I have two extra doors and my car still looks better than the Civic coupe. =)

**jm_fadd , I love way the Civic SI and the Type R look. Very nice.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya no doubt your 3 is killin' that civic . . . i used to be the biggest Honda fan but not so much anymore . . . there quality and styling i feel has gone down. if i want quality and reliability i would go for toyota and i would take lexus over acura anyday. Even my brother who has drivin honda's exclusively for almost 20 years just sold his accord s coupe and went to a Maxima. He said himself that he finds the honda's boring and wanted to go with something different, not everone likes the looks of nissan's but who can complain about the 255hp and 252 lbs of torgue the maxima has :shock:

i always thought at some point i would own a honda . . . but when the time came for me to actually get a car the civic was never even a consideration, the 3's styling inside and out beat it hands down IMO.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I actually like the new Civics, but my experience at the local dealers turned me off of them immediately. They weren't helpful at all when I was looking to test drive ("sorry, we don't have any available to test drive" "do you know when you will?" "no." "...um..."), tried to pressure me into buying even though I stated at the beginning that I was not buying today, and in general were jerks. The Mazda dealer on the other hand, didn't have one to test drive, but told me when to come back, let me take it out by myself for as long as I'd like, and was totally no pressure. I have to be honest and say that the no pressure approach made me buy earlier than I was planning on. Dealers could learn a lot from that.

Anyway, I do like that I don't see the 3 everywhere. Especially the hatch. I took a road trip last week - about 600 miles total, and in all that driving I only saw one other 3, but I probably saw at least 25 new Civics. I like that ratio.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I looked, barely, at the Civic before I bought my 3. I stopped considering it quite quickly when I noticed on the spec sheets that I needed to purchase the EX trim (MSRP $19,500 with auto transmission) to get variable speed intermittent wipers... About the only thing going for the Civic from my point of view are slightly better fuel economy statistics when compared with the 3.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
[quote author=jm_fadd link=topic=72176.msg1272118#msg1272118 date=1174086548]

I think they're available or going to be available in the UK and it was nice from what i can remember :love:

well if the sales in the US are anywhere near the increase in canada then the 3 has really put mazda back on the map . . . i'd really wish they'd take this into consideration and be true to their customers and issue a recall on the door locks! its really too bad they're not taking more responsibility in this issue!
[/quote]

What are you talking about? There are hatches in Canada, and we've had hatches in the US since the car debuted in 2004

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote author=oneill8769 link=topic=72176.msg1276993#msg1276993 date=1174336993]

[/quote]

What are you talking about? There are hatches in Canada, and we've had hatches in the US since the car debuted in 2004
[/quote]

ya i know . . . thats what i mean . . . i think the civic looks best as a hatch . . . i wish they'd bring it to north america . . .

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
[quote author=jm_fadd link=topic=72176.msg1277007#msg1277007 date=1174337345]
[quote author=oneill8769 link=topic=72176.msg1276993#msg1276993 date=1174336993]

[/quote]

[/quote]

ya i know . . . thats what i mean . . . i think the civic looks best as a hatch . . . i wish they'd bring it to north america . . .
[/quote]

Ah, gotcha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My mom got an '06 civic (one reason I didn't get one). It's a smooth and perky ride, and the MPG is better than the 3, but the one time she left the lights on and battery crapped out, she had to have the whole stereo system set again at the dealer. They said they usually charge $75 to do it. Also, if someone other than dealer changes the oil, her expired oil indicator is always lit until a dealer resets it. Kind of obnoxious. Though I just got my 3, so maybe the same holds true with the Mazdas. Hopefully not.

I considered the 4 door Si for about two seconds. I really wanted a hatch, and didn't want to shell out the extra duckets on premium fuel. Plus my tendency to drive like a jackass would have been encouraged. Didn't even test drive the speed3 for that same reason.

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
In this case, let's not pair the civic si or 2-door with the m3. instead, let's compare the 4-door civic with the mazda 3. Um, let me barf first before saying that the 4-door civic actually looks good this year *bullsh*t* ahem excuse me.. awful cough comin. It can't compare neck and neck with the Mazda 3 on it's looks. It's design is just all over the place, the tails are ugly, and so are the wheels. I would have to agree though that the Type-R 2-door civic is absolute sex. I think looks and similar reliability (as mentioned in the article) can win it for mazda 3 this year.. at least in Canada :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
[quote author=adamp88 link=topic=72176.msg1276902#msg1276902 date=1174334733]
It's actually got considerably better fuel economy than the 3. But that's not nearly enough to pull me away from my 3. :D
[/quote]

The EPA says it's about 15-20% better. So that means if you're driving 10,000mi a year you're probably saving about $100-200 a year on fuel costs with the Civic, depending on gas prices. Offsetting that is the higher MSRP of the Civic, the ugly styling, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bad enuf about the looks which arent up to par vs. the 3 IMO and which seems to be the general concensus . . . i dont trust 'em as much . . . i've heard a lot of talk about tranny issues . . . but if the model was nicer i still would have considered it, the resale value on the civics are great. i know thats not a problem with the 3 either . . . practically the same price new 07 vs. used here

1 - 20 of 25 Posts