Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Just dropped off my Mazda 3 (2020) for service - this is the 6th service so basically an inspection/brake pads/fluids top up etc.
The dealership just reached out and asked if I would like to add on some additional services that they 'recommend' - looking for advice on this as I don't know much technical details about cars (this is my first car) and the vehicle only has 48,000km driven.
On top of the regular service, they suggested:
  • Air Filter
  • Cabin Air Filter
  • HVAC Cleaning
  • Fuel Injector Flush
  • Fuel Induction Flush
Can someone please advise whether these are necessary at this point as it definitely adds up to the cost? Don't want them to take me for a ride (no pun intended haha)

· Registered
388 Posts
  • Air Filter DO IT YOURSELF OR YES This service is likely in your range of required.
  • Cabin Air Filter DO IT YOURSELF OR YES This one is important to your health.
  • HVAC Cleaning DO IT YOURSELF OR YES This one is important to your health.
  • Fuel Injector Flush NO at your miles not needed unless indication of issues.
  • Fuel Induction Flush NO at your miles not needed unless indication of issues.

· Registered
1,645 Posts
The cabin air filter change used to be a nightmare on the first gen. Now it takes someone who's never done it before about 30 seconds! And you can get the filters from any parts store.

The engine air filter is almost as easy. It's super easy to spot under the hood, undo two clips with your fingers, and out it comes. Takes 2 minutes, tops.

· Registered
128 Posts
I know...my friend's wife has a 2006...we did some light maintenance...I told him I wasn't going to do the cabin air filter for him and that he had to do it. I said, first thing, set the passenger seat all the way back and and get in upside down with your head on the floor :) He was like WHAT?

· Registered
1,645 Posts
And don't forget to disconnect the battery so you can safely remove the Passenger Junction Box!

Eventually I got good enough I could do it in a blistering 15 minutes. First time I did it, took me 45!

· Registered
226 Posts
wow, in who knows how many hundreds of thousands of miles in various fuel injected cars that I and car buddies have owned. I have never had to have or heard of anyone having the fuel injection system or injectors flushed/cleaned.

Do the recommended maintenance, change filters when recommended by the manufacturer owners manual, not the dealer. If you drive in severe conditions, gravel road, very dusty areas, etc. then consider changing the air and cabin filter more frequently.

Since you have a cabin filter, little crappola should be in the HVAC system.

OTOH, the air filter takes like 15 mins to change and maybe the cabin filter is not easy also (not so on a 2008), so change yourself if so inclined. The rest of the add on is a scam in my opinion, save your money.

· Registered
388 Posts
wow, in who knows how many hundreds of thousands of miles in various fuel injected cars that I and car buddies have owned. I have never had to have or heard of anyone having the fuel injection system or injectors flushed/cleaned.

Do the recommended maintenance, change filters when recommended by the manufacturer owners manual, not the dealer. If you drive in severe conditions, gravel road, very dusty areas, etc. then consider changing the air and cabin filter more frequently.

Since you have a cabin filter, little crappola should be in the HVAC system.

OTOH, the air filter takes like 15 mins to change and maybe the cabin filter is not easy also (not so on a 2008), so change yourself if so inclined. The rest of the add on is a scam in my opinion, save your money.
Fuel injector full service:
It is a necessary service unless you like to replace fuel injectors. Generally, fuel injectors do start to wear at about the 100k-150k but most just keep driving with them being less efficient.
But not doing it generates revenue for the parts store when you need to start replacing them. All forums have threads about fuel injector problems, and most are because of lack of servicing them!
However, for those that like to roll the dice on fuel injector serving the use of Shell or Cheron fuels religiously does effectively reduce problems having to do with fuel injector operation.

The dealer goes by the service scheduling the same one that when you buy a new Mazda you get in the owners information packet. Sure, dealerships often promote some services that may not really be immediately needed but this is NOT a SCAM! They are still a business and as such like any other business will try to sell products and services. I have never understood why that is such a hard concept to understand?

That "crappola" HVAC filter not only helps filter air you breath but also reduces the dirt and dust build up on the internal parts that can lead to less than effect cold air in the summer and warm air in the winter. Cabin filters should be IMHO change more frequently that even the service scheduling and dependent on where you operate your car.

· Registered
226 Posts
FWIW, I say nope on the fuel injector service. Today's fuels keep things clean. In many years I have never had to purchase a fuel injector.

Correct, I indicated that little "crappola" should be in the HVAC system since there is a filter before the HVAC box.

· Registered
128 Posts
The dealer goes by the service scheduling the same one that when you buy a new Mazda you get in the owners information packet. Sure, dealerships often promote some services that may not really be immediately needed but this is NOT a SCAM! They are still a business and as such like any other business will try to sell products and services. I have never understood why that is such a hard concept to understand?
For fuel injectors anyway, I have never seen a manufacturer's maintenance chart that included anything to do with fuel injectors. Not Mazda, not Toyota, not BMW (all currently maintained by myself).

That "crappola" HVAC filter not only helps filter air you breath but also reduces the dirt and dust build up on the internal parts that can lead to less than effect cold air in the summer and warm air in the winter. Cabin filters should be IMHO change more frequently that even the service scheduling and dependent on where you operate your car.
Fully agree cabin air filters are neglected by many.

· Registered
388 Posts
For fuel injectors anyway, I have never seen a manufacturer's maintenance chart that included anything to do with fuel injectors. Not Mazda, not Toyota, not BMW (all currently maintained by myself).
Fully agree cabin air filters are neglected by many.
I never said anything about dealer and auto manufactures having a service schedule for them only experience with changing customers fuel injectors for not ever servicing the fuel injection system.
I also referenced how many members on forum frequently have issue that when you follow the thread are directly related to little to no servicing the F/I system.

· Registered
388 Posts
FWIW, I say nope on the fuel injector service. Today's fuels keep things clean. In many years I have never had to purchase a fuel injector.
Well I understand your thoughts and theories.....
Not all gas providers use the same formulas, and many do not use formulas that keep the fuel system as clean as you are concluding. Only a few actually use formulas that do have properties and ingredient's that will help keep the fuel systems clean. This information about formulas can be verified through several a couple of US Government regulatory agencies.
Fuel injector and servicing:
I am sure you are happy that you have never had a fuel injector that failed on you. But I assure you that if you had a high mileage engine you injectors were not in as good a shape as you are guessing they are/were. You can do a couple of things to check this out. Using a scope do a run and compare the cylinders. Or pull them have a basic look at them and or have them rebuilt at a shop that will flow test them before and after. Otherwise based on me personally servicing customer for years replacing fuel injectors you statement is very limited to the ecception of the rule. And again on this forum I found severl threads that members had to replace on or all fuel injectors becise of various problems and most you can see that they had never had any service done which may have prevented or at least found a posible start of a problem.
I do this for a living and have for so many years now I should write a book! :cool:

· Registered
388 Posts
said while looking in the mirror
oh that hurts .... :rolleyes: not! Do lines like that work well for you in the real world?
see my last response was not quoting you but look at the fish I caught!:LOL: Honestly while some of the things you post in a few threads help members is not bad information, the rest is written more DIY showing no real training or education in the field of auto mechanics or Automotive Technician certification which since about 1995 you really need to be fundamentally good at working on most vehicles.

I understand now as we have crossed sword on threads before but next time sharpen your knowledge of facts and empirical information that can be confirmed by anyone. ;)
I think that the OP has gotten most of the answers to make an informed choice. As always people will get and believe the advice that they feel is the best from those that give it! ;)

Attachments

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
Just dropped off my Mazda 3 (2020) for service - this is the 6th service so basically an inspection/brake pads/fluids top up etc.
The dealership just reached out and asked if I would like to add on some additional services that they 'recommend' - looking for advice on this as I don't know much technical details about cars (this is my first car) and the vehicle only has 48,000km driven.
  • Air Filter
  • Cabin Air Filter
  • HVAC Cleaning
  • Fuel Injector Flush
  • Fuel Induction Flush
Can someone please advise whether these are necessary at this point as it definitely adds up to the cost? Don't want them to take me for a ride (no pun intended haha)
Sounds right for the milage.

· Registered
2022 Mazda 3 Premium 2.5 NA
9 Posts
Hello,
  • Air Filter
  • Cabin Air Filter
  • HVAC Cleaning
  • Fuel Injector Flush
  • Fuel Induction Flush
I’m not sure about DI engines, but ford didn’t bring up injectors until 50k miles but this was a multi port. If the engine is running smooth no issues, and no warranties are at risk. I wouldn’t say they need tending to. Ask another dealer in the area what they think too, and ask a 3rd party if possible mechanic who knows Mazdas. Could be the dealer wants to make easy bucks. Buuuuuut I’m new to Mazda, I’m not sure how their engines are, and what they need.

· Registered
2009 Mazda 3i Touring 2L 4 Speed Auto Transaxle
1 Posts
Hello,
  • Air Filter
  • Cabin Air Filter
  • HVAC Cleaning
  • Fuel Injector Flush
  • Fuel Induction Flush
I absolutely agree with Grendel65: both air filters for sure. HVAC cleaning particularly if someone in your family has allergies. The other fuel stuff is fluff.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts