Mazda3 Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you for all the help in diagnosing. Will report back once the replacement TCM is installed.
It was my pleasure to walk through this with you, even though none of the testing actually identified a problem and led to a solution (aside from ultimately arriving at the 'default' of replacing the TCM). Almost without exception, when someone suggests diagnosis on one of these forums, that will put an end to the conversation. And for the very few who do show a willingness to DIY, virtually no one is capable of carrying on extended diagnosis where multiple tests are suggested. So you have to be at the top of the 1% of those who are willing to roll up their sleeves and keep plugging away at it. Let's hope you're rewarded for all of the work you've done by the TCM eliminating the codes!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Replacement TCM arrives tomorrow. Will come back with a status report on how that goes.
Where did you buy it from? FWIW, I know there are TCM rebuilders who sell on Ebay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I set my multimeter to the pic below, put a needle in the 3rd slot over from the 2 empty slots, connected the black plug to the inserted needle, connected the red plug to the middle (red) on the speed sensor cable, and got a reading of 0.1 on the meter.

Not 100% sure I performed that test correctly.

View attachment 105487
Just to clarify, you said you got .1 ohms. In the picture it shows "OL".
Where your leads hooked up when you took this picture?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Just to clarify, you said you got .1 ohms. In the picture it shows "OL".
Where your leads hooked up when you took this picture?
I did get the 0.1 it's just that the picture was taken to show where I set the dial on the MM.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
UPDATE: SUCCESS

The re-manufactured TCM came this afternoon. I installed it and went for a 5 mile drive and no CEL light and no AT light.

With the old TCM, CEL and AT lights would come on after a mile or less when getting up to around 40.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That's fantastic. Are you sending the old TCM back as a core? Most builders prefer that, and I've been looking for a core in case I endure that again.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Glad to read that it worked as hoped for, and you certainly earned the victory!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
On a side note, the company on ebay that sent me the re-manufactured TCM also included a sheet that talked about one reason the TCMs fail is due to excessive heat. The letter suggests securing the TCM to the brake lines instead.

·
Registered
502 Posts
On a side note, the company on ebay that sent me the re-manufactured TCM also included a sheet that talked about one reason the TCMs fail is due to excessive heat. The letter suggests securing the TCM to the brake lines instead.
I think I posted that in one of my earlier responses. I would not recommend attaching it to the brake lines because vibration and the strain could damage the brake lines. I've seen instances where someone bent some sheet metal in such a way so as to make a mount which would allow airflow between the transmission and the TCM. That would be a better route, IMHO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I think I posted that in one of my earlier responses. I would not recommend attaching it to the brake lines because vibration and the strain could damage the brake lines. I've seen instances where someone bent some sheet metal in such a way so as to make a mount which would allow airflow between the transmission and the TCM. That would be a better route, IMHO.
Good to know. I will see what I can come up with.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts