9,518 Posts
since this is a mazda forum... id say...... Acura. :p

nah, Rabbit: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/volkswagen/rabbit/index.html
150 hp @ 5000 rpm
170 ft-lbs. @ 3750 rpm

Suspension
four-wheel independent suspension front and rear stabilizer bar
MacPherson strut front suspension multi-link rear suspension

doesnt seem all that different. 10 less horsepower, 20 more torque i think.
I think youd have to drive one. the features seem almost the same as mazda3 too. idk for sure.
except VW gets daytime running lights.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Ok, looks aside, I personally could not tell people I drive a car called a rabbit, an animal known to fuck too damn fast.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I've read and heard that the mileage for the rabbit isn't that great. The 3 is a more dynamic vehicle to drive as well.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'd say 3, since this is the first year of Rabbits in the US.

Then again, if you live elsewhere, take both out for a drive.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
technically it's not the first year of the rabbit... it's basically the golf sold in europe, and it's been out now for a little over a year now.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for.

I would say that the 3 is more of a drivers car where the rabbit is more of a commuter around town kind of car.

My brother owns an 06 Rabbit and it is a pretty sweet little ride. Having wrote that, he now wants a Mazda 3 after driving mine. The VW Rabbit has a solid ride, many more *features and an upscale interior. The 3 is a bit more practical (a real trunk), feels more sporty when driven aggressively and the interior is just as nice. I would propose that you drive both.

*: Dual one touch power windows with pinch protection
Ability to roll up windows when key is removed
Ability to roll up/down windows using key outside the vehicle
Cool blue instrument gauges
(check out the http://rabbitownersclub.com/vw-rabbit/index.php forum)

Both cars feature an extensive upgrade catelogue.

·
Registered
822 Posts
My wife just got rid of her 2003 Jetta, persistent electrical problems. There was no way we could keep putting up with the constant check engine light and rough running. From what I hear this is a common problem with new VWs. My car before I got my 3 was a 95 Jetta GLX VR6, I loved the car but I sure wouldn't call it reliable. So it's a roll of the dice, do you want to take the chance of having these types of problems or do you want to go with something a little more reliable.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
[quote author=mica3speedy link=topic=69133.msg1199116#msg1199116 date=1171120684]
technically it's not the first year of the rabbit... it's basically the golf sold in europe, and it's been out now for a little over a year now.
[/quote]

Yeah, but things here and there get changed because of emissions and whatnot.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
considering VW's famous for breaking and being pos' a lot of the time, i'd say mazda.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
i heard that the suspension and way the rabbit drives isnt the best... that is, compared to the mazda3 "s" though so i think it depends on which mazda3 model you would be getting too. personally if you like hatch's, i think the hatch of the mazda is nicer than that of the vw... but thats just me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the reason i posted this was to find out from people who have the mazda 3, what is better about the 3

obviously you are going to say get the mazda 3 cause that is what you got

everyone has different criteria and i want to know why you chose the 3
i just want to make sure i buy the right car

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
well, i have the 2.3l hatch. its got a lot of room for one thing, thats what first got my attention cause i have alot of band stuff to get from here to there. its a 4 door, easier to get people in and out of. Even stock its got a little bit of power. And i havent had any problems with it. So id say go with the 3

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I did get to see both when I was car shopping. The Rabbit seems to have a lot less room to me, also not as comfortable a driving position. That's basically why I chose the 3, and also the 3 was rated with better gas mileage.

·
Registered
470 Posts
[quote author=erz5005 link=topic=69133.msg1200218#msg1200218 date=1171167170]
everyone has different criteria and i want to know why you chose the 3[/quote]
I chose the 3 because of the acceleration and size that it provided as well as staying within my price range. Additionally, I like how the Pearl White looks in the 3s Sedan that I chose.

I test drove a Scion Tc, Civic EX, Wolfsburg Jetta, my brothers 2dr. VW Rabbit, Pontiac G5, Nissan Sentra S and the Mazda 3s Touring before choosing the vehicle right for me. I ended up with a Mazda 3s Sport (Touring was out of my price range) because it offered the best price, ride, performance and (a BIG deal to me) a good looking interior. The others all had their strengths and my 3 is no Blue Ribbon baby (lack of power reserve for the windows, integrated stereo/LED) but I decided on the 3 because of the "Zoom-Zoom" factor. I simply liked the driveability of the car over the others.

While test driving the others (I drove the Jetta, G5 and Civic twice) they simply did not deliver the response I liked. The Jetta felt heavy (but it had a nice package and I tried to buy one), the G5 coarse with an engine that sounded overwhelmed and the Civic just felt "neutral". I really like the Civic Si but that was out of my range and there is too big a gap from the Si to the EX that I just couldn't get over. I drove the Mazda 3 one time and I knew that this was the car that I could drive for the next 5 years. I never thought that I would drive a Mazda.

[quote author=erz5005 link=topic=69133.msg1200218#msg1200218 date=1171167170]
i just want to make sure i buy the right car
[/quote]
The best thing to do is figure what you want to pay, what you wish to put down and where your priorities are with your vehicle. Don't listen to the dealer. It took me over 2 months to decide on my vehicle. Do research, test drive and go over the numbers. The right car for you will fit your priorities and budget. You DO NOT want to settle and regret you investment/purchase. I made that mistake when I bought my 2002 Mitsubishi OZ Lancer.

Good Luck buddy.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts