Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to to decide between a 2007 Mazda 3 S grand touring or a 2006 miata sport

can anybody help me decide between the two. Both are around the same price.

I was wondering whats the real difference in how it drives. or any other differences

Practical or Fun.

I'm buying this Saturday.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
I think you could answer that question yourself, by answering a different one: How will you use this car? In fact, you're going to have to answer that question before anyone can offer you a word of advice about which car to get, since they're such different vehicles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've test driven both i rented the mazda 3 for two weeks.

I absolutely love the 3 its so much fun.

I guess i know want to know how much more improved the miata over the 3

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a 1st gen Miata (96 M) and loved it. I would most likely still have it if some kid had not totaled it.

For fun to drive - the Miata definitely wins - rear wheel drive; 50/50 weight ratio; on a curvy 2 lane road it's hard to beat.

I bought my 3 nearly 2 years ago. I picked the 3 mainly because it handled better than the other sedans I test drove (Mini being the exception) It's much more practical - I can take my dogs in the backseat; I don't have to worry about buying too much at Costco; and it will fit our luggage and camera gear when traveling for more than a few days. It's also much quieter (may no longer be an issue with the new fold down hardtop)

It comes down to what you need - if you have another car you can use for the practical things then I definitely recommend the Miata. Not much is better than a "topless" backroad drive on a warm spring day. However, if you need something more practical that is still fun to drive the 3 is a great car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for you reply. I appreciate the info

I just hired with a new company and i'm looking to get a new car.

The younger part of me is telling me to get the miata

but the practical older side is saying the 3.

I'm a salesman and i have to visit my clients sometimes.

I know they would be impressed if i take them out to lunch in the miata,

but run into trouble if there is more than one person i have to take out.

plus i drive over 110 miles back and forth to work everyday.

I guess practicallity prevailes. for now

i'll wait until i make more money until i make a little more money so i could get the

RX 8 then at least it could be semi-practical and fun at the same time.

Thanks again

·
Registered
290 Posts
We have a '94 Miata and an '07 Mazda3. They're so different, it's hard to know where to start, but if you can only have one car, the 3 is obviously the better choice. Outside of hooning around the countryside or jaunts around town, the Miata quickly becomes an experience to be endured. We've taken 5500-mile road trips in ours, but I doubt that will ever happen again. Packing in 5 cubic feet is an exercise in parsimony and deprivation, and the highway noise is an ordeal that requires earplugs.

Buy the 3, and when you can afford it, consider getting an older Miata for a weekend toy.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I just bought a Mazdaspeed3 yesterday after considering the Miata. The Miata was $4000 more (retractable hardtop) and I get employee pricing (S-Plan). I decided on the MS3 because it's more practical and still alot of fun. The test drive sealed the deal! I also considered the 2007 MINI Cooper S, but the MINI dealership is too far (31 miles away from my home). I pick up the car on Saturday and it's Mica Black with the Sport package!

·
Registered
610 Posts
[quote author=mkselecta link=topic=69375.msg1205855#msg1205855 date=1171416290]
Did they give you S-Plan on the MS3?
[/quote]

Yep! They called me the next day and said they wanted my business (my purchase and my wife's lease) so they gave me S-Plan pricing, which is what they had to do get get me to buy the car. I brought the employee pricing with me and it didn't mention anything about this model being exempt (like several other models, like the Shelby Mustang), so I was very disappointed when they first told me "no dice", but they stepped up and treated me well...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got $800 off a mazda speed3 the other week and thats without a plan, plus i had them throw in the alumunum fuel door for free. I got the GT version of it.

But i wouldnt go with a Miata myself... its a car for people who are built like kate moss. If i was picked up in a Miata, i would say hell no.. the car is way too small. Im 6'3" and not scrawny at all... i sat in one once, but that was it.. thank god the top was down or i would have never gotten out of that sardine can of a car.

I would never get a RX8 either... the car is a pain in the ass to upkeep, burns oil faster than a 72 pinto and its not easily done like in a mazda3. Wasnt that impressed with the RX8 compared to the 350Z. I think the 350Z is a better looking and better handling car, plus they have so many aftermarket items for the 350Z that you can really make it scream like a raped ape down the road.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
For performance, id get a miata for the RWD potential and huge aftermarket. (With nimble handling out of the box)

If economy and utility is your preference, get a MZ3. 4 doors, more comfortable.. etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts