Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I'm just as surprised as you are.

I read it in a review from someone's Mazda 3 website (it's the person who managed to get the ride in a red Mazda 3.)

Anyways, the review said something like the Mazda 3 was meant to handle LIKE a rear-wheel drive car. (They were talking about the suspension system)... is there a way to tweak the suspension of a FWD car so that it acts like an RWD car?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
edit: here's the link.
http://roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=11&article_id=841&page_number=1

and here's what it said:
"Both sedan and hatchback have an attractive, aggressive look, and both have the same rigid unit-body chassis and the same sporty suspension: large-diameter MacPherson struts (with built-in rebound springs) in front, teamed with a multilink rear end. Mazda says the 3 has been tuned to have the feel of a rear-drive car, and if it feels like last year's Protegé it will be comfortably firm and responsive to steering inputs."

·
Registered
984 Posts
The only RWD vehicle I've driven is a Crown Vic and a Grand Marquis. I don't think those count though. lol

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
dugrant153 said:
Anyways, the review said something like the Mazda 3 was meant to handle LIKE a rear-wheel drive car. (They were talking about the suspension system)... is there a way to tweak the suspension of a FWD car so that it acts like an RWD car?
Isn't every car meant to handle like a RWD car? The thing is, that's hard/impossible to do. It may corner as well (the 6 certainly comes close), but transfer of motion during accelleration means it will never be able to put as much power to the ground.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Won't know till we test drive it, if it handles anything like the Focus or better I'll be impressed. But I'm not expecting Miata/MX-5 handling haha. As long as the Mazda 3 is fun to drive I think they've hit the mark.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i doubt the 3 will be able to live up to that statement, but i'm sure that it will handle well in its own respects. i'm keeping my hopes up..but coming from a 300zx and mr2, both very respectable cars in the turns, it's going to be a pretty high bar for the 3 to reach.

·
Registered
172 Posts
3 will probably handle one of the best in FWD class, but no way will it be close to RWD. Especially RX8, RX7, miata, elise, etc.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps it'll have some slight oversteer?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, what I'm thinking is that it won't handle like a true RWD car in terms of RWD dynamics, but more along the lines of handling wise. Like, perhaps it'll dive into corners better instead of understeering to the outside of the corner?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whoa! Even Mazda says so:
"Mazda3 has been turned for a forward-inclined roll-center axis to achieve exceptional road-holding and straight-line stability, similar to a rear-drive car."

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm certainly intrigued to find out whther the car can live up to the statement. I went to the dealer in hopes they would have a brochure, but no :(

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We'll soon see. I'm hoping that it WILL live up to that statement. I'm not expecting full RWD handling... probably a combo of the two (FWD and RWD antics)?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts