Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, nice to meet all the Alexa's out there. Will you help me?

heard a little ticking noise idling the other day progress from when I parked after a run, then seems now to a constant and when I rev as seen in the video you can hear the ticks at low RPM

any ideas would be highly appreciated

Idling noise
With low RPM

·
Registered
140 Posts
Best guesses in no particular order, rattling timing chain due to stretched chain or bad (or going bad) tensioner, exhaust leak, valve clatter. guessing timing chain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing of the particular, only one I had recent around the time was one of a purge value leak but im pretty sure it was bc my gf didn't tighten my gas cap. I just don't understand how that'd apply but I'll take the cover and take a look at the chain and tensioner. I got a scope but it's just hard to tell when I'm listening for. Wouldn't the ticks be very distinct since they're so distinct by ear

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Idk it's very difficult to comprehend. I've put some heavier oil and that helped with the loudness of the tick, though I deliver pizza so the girl gets hot one way. The ticking/tapping noise happens if I'm giving it very gentle acceleration, like my foot is 1/3 way down, or if I'm coming off an acceleration but my foot is still slightly tapping it, you'll hear it fast.

Example, I'm coasting down slope \___/ hill, I get to the bottom, before the incline, I give it a little gas and it will tick fast, until I'm locked in gear. Now if going from 0-60 foot on the pedal, down to the floor, straight 1-2-3-4 gears you won't hear a single tick but if I'm coasting the highway at 70 and i give it a little more pressure than that slightly, you hear the ticking very rapidly until I press further into acceleration.

Hope that wasn't confusing ugh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts