Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm just curious if I was able to take all the turbo goodies off a stock ms3 would I be able to fit everything into my 05 Mazda 3 sedan? And would I need a custom ecu or could I somehow use or wire in a stick ecu from a ms3? Also curious how much hp the 2.0 can handle fully stock before I need to start building the motor, if you have any answers please let me know thanks!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Mazda30599,

The Mazda 3 engine 2.3l and Mazdaspeed 3 are almost same engine.

The Mazdaspeed 3 has a MZR 2.3l engine with 263 HP at stock.

The Mazda 3 2.3l S has about 144 HP Stock.

There a lot that will have to be done if you what to boot your 05 Mazda 3 the right way with out blowing it you can't just put on turbo everything works out.

Note: For every auto part you put on your Mazda 3 your ECU computer has to count for this. That why you have the Cobb Access Port device which you will need in your case.

Normally you would want have a good engine build to support the add parts and power that stock Mazda 3 engine want last as long to much power will blow that motor.

Also the timing chain + VVT are bad on these engines so a keyed crankshaft will be a MUST HAVE ON ANY BUILD EVEN ON STOCK ENGINES.

Below I have a list that I recommend.

Mazda OEM Cylinder Block ONLY Mazdaspeed 3

Massive Speed Keyed Crankshaft Mazdaspeed 3

Manley Platinum Series Extreme Duty Pistons 87.5mm STD Bore Mazdaspeed 3 2007-2013

Manley H-Beam H-Tuff Rods Mazdaspeed 3

Mazda OEM Valve Cover (Gen2 Style) Mazdaspeed

Cometic Head Gasket Mazdaspeed 3 2007-2013

Supertech Valve Spring and Retainer Kit DUAL SPRING 70LB Ford/Mazda Duratec 2.0L/2.3L inc. Mazdaspeed 3 2007-2013 /

Mazda OEM Cylinder Head Mazdaspeed 3

OEM Camshaft Mazdaspeed 3

ARP Head Stud Kit Mazdaspeed 3 2007-2013

Cobb Tuning AccessPort V3 Mazdaspeed 3

Damond Motorsports EGR Delete Kit Mazdaspeed 3

Damond Motorsports PCV Plate Kit Mazdaspeed 3

ATP Turbo 10mm (1.5 pitch) Nut Locking Head

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
110 Posts
Under 300whp no internals upgrades needed (cams upgraded if you consider cams an internal part) . Check Xero Limit :Kraftwerks MX5 Supercharger. They added a supercharger to a MZR 2.0L non sky NC Miata with cat back exhaust, larger injectors and fuel pump & ECUTEK tuned. No intervals upgraded.

·
Super Moderator
1,293 Posts
I have the 2.0 motor and I was hoping to do just a simple set up like 250-270hp
It will cost you a fraction of the money and time to simply sell your car and buy a MazdaSpeed3 to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
1,293 Posts
Probably not reliably.

Are you saying the difference between what you can sell your current car for and a MazdaSpeed3 is $7,000 CDN?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably not reliably.

Are you saying the difference between what you can sell your current car for and a MazdaSpeed3 is $7,000 CDN?
I got my car for a steal at only 190k km for $400, the guy thought the motor was gone because the starter had went and was grinding when he would try to start it, I could buy an older ms3 for 5-7k or for a newer one more like 10-12k, I figure since I can do all the work myself besides the tuning portion, and I'm a welder/ fabricator I should be able to build it fairly cheap myself like 2k or less before I get it tuned. At that cost of say it's more worth to turbo my current unit because I won't be able to spend 7k or more anytime soon

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
110 Posts
I got my car for a steal at only 190k km for $400, the guy thought the motor was gone because the starter had went and was grinding when he would try to start it, I could buy an older ms3 for 5-7k or for a newer one more like 10-12k, I figure since I can do all the work myself besides the tuning portion, and I'm a welder/ fabricator I should be able to build it fairly cheap myself like 2k or less before I get it tuned. At that cost of say it's more worth to turbo my current unit because I won't be able to spend 7k or more anytime soon
Dont turbo the 2.0L unless you want to swap out the mazdaedit epifan softwarenecu for a haltech 1500 (or AEM) and build in a turbo /intercooler and all other parts needed. Not many mazdaedit tuners out there.
If you want a turbo car get a speed 3. Everything is already in place and and can easily swap in upgrades , cobb tune , etc
If you want to play with your 2.0L non sky , you can probably max out HP at about 250 (190-200 whp) and work on leaning out the cars weight. The 2.0L has been turboed and supercharged in the RWD configuration with ECUtek tunes.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,293 Posts
To say I'm skeptical is a gross understatement; good luck with your build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts