Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mazda 3- 2.3 s 2004, 2005 and 2006 have 160 hp,
2007, 2008 and 2009 have 156 hp,

what gets me is that the new 2010 3s will have 2.5 L @ 167 hp. I was hoping for more hp for a 2.5L.

What are your thoughts?
Ja rasta

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
the later years were not less powerful, i think they simply corrected the figure.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Correct. 160 was an over calculate on Mazda's part.

We all wish for more power on the 10's but what can you do, it is what it is.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Weren't all cars subject to newer EPA engine power and fuel economy re-rates a few years back? I know a ton of cars that weren't refreshed had dips in power rating around the 2007 time period (Matrix, Civic, and RSX all come to mind).

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
It was EPA rating for fuel efficiency, not for power.

Mazda has a history of misstating their cars actual output, then correcting. So significantly in fact that several years ago, Mazda offered an incentive to those who purchased Miata's with the misstated power output.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Although the 2010 mazda 3 only got a modest increase in HP I think it got something like a 20ft/lb increase in TQ :shock: Also acceleration and how the power is put down cannot be deciphered from the peak numbers, we need to see the gearing and the power curves in a graph.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=134566.msg2892774#msg2892774 date=1233033582]

Mazda has a history of misstating their cars actual output, then correcting. So significantly in fact that several years ago, Mazda offered an incentive to those who purchased Miata's with the misstated power output.
[/quote]

Yeah, IIRC the same thing happened when the RX8 came out. Mazda even gave people the option of returning their car if they were that unsatisfied.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

[/quote]

Daniel, I hate to correct you a little. You are correct on the revised EPA standards. Yes, Mazda did mistate the power rating on the Miata (I believe just the Mazdaspeed version though).

There was a revision in SAE ratings of power as well...around 2005, SAE International's J1349 Certified Power Standard. This affected other vehicles, not just the Mazdas. Several Japanese brands were rated lower than previously stated...while not actually losing power. Several domestic motors, especially large-displacements, had a higher rating! Great article, albeit biased coming from Detriot News: http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0508/17/A01-283759.htm

2/10s of a liter aren't going to yield a much higher PEAK horsepower rating, but a more useable powerband. People need to get over just looking at PEAK horsepower ratings, they only tell a fraction of what the car is capable of.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
No problem TEX. I was referring to the EPA and the point they do not set power ratings.

It was the 2001 Miata model revision, non speed version. Mazda stated the Miata put out 155hp when it was actually 142.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Okay, I misread what you had stated, I guess I should have aimed my correction elsewhere...sorry.
Yes, the EPA did not change HP rating standards, the SAE did. And is the reason why the 3's motor is rated 4hp lower.
I was under the impression that the Mazdaspeed Miata had a rating issue as well.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
No worries, my post was poorly worded.

[quote author=TEXNTHREE link=topic=134566.msg2893759#msg2893759 date=1233080647]
I was under the impression that the Mazdaspeed Miata had a rating issue as well.
[/quote]

Very possible. I just happend to recall the issue with the 01.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey Reza, I see you live in California. Like NJ, that means your car must meet a stricter EPA standard than the federal standard. As an ULEV, our cars have a little more pollution equipment on them. Consequently, your 2.3-liter produces only 151 hp, not 156 hp. (This is different than the “SAE certified” horsepower figures that began in 2007.)

That might sound terrible but as others wrote, torque accelerates the car and not horsepower. Your CA engine produces 149 lb-ft of torque compared with 150 lb-ft of torque for the federal engine. Therefore, there is no noticeable difference in acceleration.

·
Registered
77 Posts
[quote author=TEXNTHREE link=topic=134566.msg2893656#msg2893656 date=1233077880]

[/quote]

Daniel, I hate to correct you a little. You are correct on the revised EPA standards. Yes, Mazda did mistate the power rating on the Miata (I believe just the Mazdaspeed version though).

There was a revision in SAE ratings of power as well...around 2005, SAE International's J1349 Certified Power Standard. This affected other vehicles, not just the Mazdas. Several Japanese brands were rated lower than previously stated...while not actually losing power. Several domestic motors, especially large-displacements, had a higher rating! Great article, albeit biased coming from Detriot News: http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0508/17/A01-283759.htm

2/10s of a liter aren't going to yield a much higher PEAK horsepower rating, but a more useable powerband. People need to get over just looking at PEAK horsepower ratings, they only tell a fraction of what the car is capable of.
[/quote]

Okay, that explains why so many Japanese cars "lost" HP sometime around then. I noticed several RSX, Camry, Matrix, Corolla models all "lost" HP. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
833 Posts
yea they just refigured it.. the older models dont have more power...its the same engine lol. But I agree about the 2.5L. 170hp would have sounded so much better lol. you add the intake and exhuast to ours and were probably about the same lol.

plus that new 3 is gross. I like the smart keyless enrty tho

1 - 15 of 15 Posts