Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone my name is Tom and this is my first time on your forum. I am actually a member of the torontomazda3 forum, because it is close to Buffalo, NY where I reside. This past Thursday, January 18th I had the engine in my 3 seize up because the plastic oil filter housing had cracked and sprayed out all the oil on the expressway. When the dealership had investigated they claimed it was my fault, because in changing my own oil and using an oil filter adjustable band wrench the wrench had supposedly weakened the housing causing it to crack. Then they proceeded to tell me they had a bulletin at the dealership explaining this issue. So I asked why I hadn't received this info when I always come in there for my filters. They said it was just sent to the dealerships. So to make a long story short, I have followed all the quidelines and paperwork for the warranty and never had a problem. Now something happens and they want me to pay about $9,000.00 to have a new engine put in, that's not right. So I am in early discussions with Mazda to get the issue resolved, but if these discussions fall through I might need help from anyone that this housing problem has happened to. I have been informed through some of the forums that this has occured in several cases. If these others wouldn't mind giving out their names and cities of location for a sort of petition showing that I am not the only one this has happened to, would be greatly appreciated. I want to express to Mazda that they have an issue with this part and their communication methods so that they may understand our concern.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Tom Was
Buffalo, NY

·
Registered
753 Posts
Mazda's engineers should be ashamed of this design.

·
Registered
305 Posts
woooow! Real sorry to hear about this.

I'd get a good attorney if Mazda doesn't warranty this.

Also, very very interested in this bulletin, as i (along with many others i'm sure) do oil changes with a strap wrench.

Good luck, keep us informed.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
What a nightmare..

Don't give in without the best fight you can give. Take it to Mazda HQ, and email as many people, including media... heh

For those reading, use the mazda filter socket ($14) and attach it to a torque wrench and use the right amount of torque when tightening.

You'd be suprised how little torque you need to fasten it... It has O-rings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I did get word from Mazda today, they are going to cover everything except $500.00. They want me to take some responsibility for the problem and I don't mind. That is much better than $9,000.00 any time. So everything is going to work out after all, thanks anyways everyone.....

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've heard a mazda tech say you shouldn't use a strap wrench for that reason. As far as I know, the best tool to use is the oil filter cap wrench directly from mazda, since it fits the best.

I'm surprised they aren't endorsing the spin on filter conversion by now with the amount of engines they're paying to replace.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=wolfe link=topic=67599.msg1168151#msg1168151 date=1169729429]
As far as I know, the best tool to use is the oil filter cap wrench directly from mazda, since it fits the best.
[/quote]

When I ordered one through my dealership they made it seem like the wrench wasn't a Mazda thing. They added it to an order from their tools supplier but it didn't have a Mazda part number or anything. You shouldn't have to get it direct from Mazda; the dealers don't.

You're right about it being the best tool for the job, though. That, and a torque wrench (overtightening can be just as bad).

Andrew Beard

·
Registered
724 Posts
Oh that's good to know, thanks :) I've read on here that some brands of cap wrench don't fit quite tightly enough despite saying they were the correct size, so I just assumed mazda made the ones that did. I'll do some searching and see which ones people had the best luck with, and save a bit over the dealer price I'm sure. Thanks again :D

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I'll take a look at the one I ordered through my dealer and see if it has any part numbers or identifiers on it when I get home. There are a couple sponsors here that sell them at a decent rate, though.

Andrew Beard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts