Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know?

Also, doesn't 5th gear seem a bit short? I am crusing at 70mph and the needle is around 3K.

·
Registered
103 Posts
if i remember right i think i seen somewhere in here that 3k at 70 mph is about right till you get through the breaking in period. not 100% positive though.
LeeLee said:
Anyone know?

Also, doesn't 5th gear seem a bit short? I am crusing at 70mph and the needle is around 3K.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh? Why the change after break-in? How is this done, by changing the actual ratios in the gear box? Doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
No, your right Leelee. The rpms are about 3k @ 70mph.

They may change ever so slightly, but you will never notice it on the needle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, 3000 rom @ 70 mph is about what my 2.0L Jetta (115hp) was pushing. Why does the 2.3L 160hp Mz3 engine need to run so high? Then again, I was getting 18mpg in my Jetta @ 70mph, can any Mz3 owners tel me about what kinda mpg I can expect at 70mph?

·
Registered
290 Posts
LeeLee said:
Anyone know?

5th is short on this car and I like it :D
It's more an extension of 4th than a gutless overdrive like most of the 4 cyl cars. I can see where you may be concerned about gas milage but i think Mazda was trying to keep the "spirit" in this car throughout the gear range. An extra gear may have been a option that would have delivered that cruising gear at about 2.5 k

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree about the idea of keeping the 5th gear more "spirited" but I also think that the VVT that mazda uses is a lot different then say.....Honda's VTEC....so that might have something to do with it

·
Registered
272 Posts
Speed (5spd, N/A spec, 17") @ red line (6500)

1st: 35 mph
2rd: 64 mph
3th: 90 mph

after that it's electronically limited at 118 mph.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet! Thanks Bruno!

Good for us forum-racers to know I don't need two shifts to reach 60. My break-in period will be for another 250 miles...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey LeeLee,

I live in the Northern VA area as well bud, I plan on getting my maz3 sedan......(dunno on which color, titanium silver, sunlight silver, or black) Once I get the car I know a bunch of Mazda6 folks that go autocrossing and go to numerous other mazda events. I will let you know when I get the car!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya... ever since I got the 3, I've been itching to go cruise around in Rockville on a Friday or Saturday night, especially around the parking lot in front of Sports Authority, where the local riceboys congregate and compare wing size and decal acreage.

I be like, yo peeps, check my HID projectors.

Sigh, I am getting too old for "the scene".

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Heh...

Ha-ha!! Peeps....

Wait.. I'm too old too... Dammit.

So we got the redline specs, but what are the 0-45 and 0-60 specs?

And to answer the mileage question - the manual says break-in period is 600 miles (NA). I'm at 850, and I still am only pushing about 270 miles with Chevron 92 Octane.

Of course, I also discovered that my gas light comes on at about the 11 Gallon mark (or 3.5 gallons remaining). So who knows...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yeah, I get the low fuel light at about 3.5 gallons remaining as well. I think that's really high, I would rather had it at 1 or 1/2 gallons (theoretically that's still ~11 miles which should be far enough to find a gas station).

·
Registered
744 Posts
I find it odd that the gas gauge only shows 100% full when the tank is 100% full. I never top off my tank and after I drive my car 15 miles my gauge always shows just below the full mark. I find it odd because I have never seen the gas gauge work like that on other cars.

I have driven about 315 miles on one tank of gas so far without getting a low fuel light. Actually, I have never seen the low fuel light... maybe I should make sure it works. Does a chime go off or anything?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I agree, even 1.5 gallons would have been nice. I actually freaked the first time I saw it beacuse I didn't know how far the needle would go before I officially was empty. It was well above the 'E' but I still wasn't sure.

I would ask how you made it 315 miles, but I see you have a sedan. Small weight difference - plus I lug DJ gear around 1-2 days on my tank, so that adds another 350-450 lbs.

One day.... The new Hybrid Highlander goes 600 miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts