Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a recurring problem with my mass air flow sensor. I use the car for autocross and under high load at low rpm (in second gear) the check engine light will come on. When I plug in the OBD and look at the freeze frame data, I can see that there was a moment where the sensor was reading zero input and throwing the code. However, the reading always comes back afterwards. I have already tried replacing the sensor and cleaning the contacts with electrical cleaner but that didn't stop the problem from happening. Annoyingly, after the last time I cleared the code (at an autocross event) I haven't been able to re-trigger it.

Has anybody seen anything like this with momentary sensor drop-outs before? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A visual inspection didn't show anything obviously wrong, but it was hard to really know what I was looking for. The issue relatively consistently came up out of slow corners so not a lot of g force at that moment, but maybe it was "triggered" under braking and then the light came on the next time I hit the throttle? Either way this seems like it would be very difficult to troubleshoot...

As a side note, is lout a bot?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was having a similar issue. look closely at the picture. See the middle wire has a cut. You could not see the cut in the wire until you peeled back the factory protection. I corrected the issue by wireing in a MAF plug. You can pick them up through amazon. Here is a link to the one I used. >> MAF Connector <<
Hand Light Bicycle part Automotive tire Finger

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! I had a look under the insulation and (un?)fortunately it looks like none of the wires had any cuts in them. I cut up to where the wires go into the tube behind them but didn't feel comfortable going any further.

When you had the issue, were there any troubleshooting steps that you were able to take that helped to isolate the issue/give you an idea where to look?

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
First thing I cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the CAI and filter. Put it back together and waited to see if the CEL came back. Sure enough it did. From there i figured its either the sensor is bad or the wiring was likely jacked up. I also read a bunch of posts on this forum. Seems the wiring issue is pretty typical with a CAI on a 2006 MZ3.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've also read how some of the pins can become loose which can also cause the same sort of issues. I'm told a few people have re-pined the connector. I didn't' feel comfortable re-pinning so i just wired in a new plug which added about 3 inches of additional wire to keep from pulling on the connector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts