Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my girl over to Winthrop the first weekend in March, big Hot Air Balloon festival thing going on, got a whole weekend planned. However, I'm not 100% sure what the road conditions are like that time of year out that way.

I'll either be taking Hwy 2 or 90, neither of which are probably an issue, then up north through Chelan, seeing as Hwy 20 is closed this time of year. My hope is the roads are going to be plowed and no problem, however seeing as our winter has been "great" so far... I want to make sure everything is OK.

I was just reading that we can't put chains on our 3's due to the low tire profile - and if you do it scratches the hell out of rims. I saw a few other options folks posted, claw things, etc but for $400... wondering if it's worth it/necessary. How are the stock all seasons for drives like that? Anyone had experience that time of year in that area?

I guess if I had to I'd look at buying a set of steel rims (what do they run?) and snow tires, but have never bought them for any of my vehicles so don't know much about them. In our area I try not to drive often when there is ice/snow so I can't see them as being a commonly used item - part of why I don't want to spend much $$ on them.

In the past few storms I've driven my 3 out of necessity - got stuck and pulled out once, but that was due to my bumping the car into manual when I really shouldnt have, learned that lesson! And drove in the crazy ice mess out in Woodinville this last storm - it wasn't fun but had no problems to speak of. I don't have a ton of experience in the ice/snow but I'm not an idiot when it comes to those driving conditions. I've done it enough to know what to do and what not to do.

Any advice? (Sorry for being long winded!)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts