Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an auto to manual swap possible, and how much does it cost? Im just gathering ideas, I just paid my car off today, and Im gathering ideas.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
why wouldn't a conversion be reliable? all you're doing is changing the tranny and the ecu. i had everything to do one on my focus but i blew the engine before i could start.

parts cost me 2k and that's with some hook ups on lsd and race clutch. oem would have been a bit cheaper.

in time, parts for our car will become cheaper and a swap will be more affordable.

mr. tea has done/is undergoing an atx to mtx swap on his 6 right now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=onetwo3 link=topic=68348.msg1180409#msg1180409 date=1170314282]
trade in for a manual cost way less and more reliable than a conversion.
[/quote]

I suppose, If selling my car or trading it in was an option I would go for something that has a little more performance like an RX-8 or 350Z. I had mustangs and a 300zx a few years back, and there is just something about doing unorthodox mods that is rewarding. I am looking into a hiboost turbo kit, but have heard some not so good things about using it with the stock internals and an auto transmission. I have not found any parts to beef up the auto, and if there is, it usually sacrifices drivability. There is always the question, why didnt I just buy a manual in the first place. I bought the car for my wife, and now that she has started her in real estate is becoming successful she is getting her own vehicle, and I can have my mazda back.(she could not drive manual, nor wanted to learn.) so thats where I am :)

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
lentech makes atx upgrades

a valvebody should be your first upgrade

turbo + stock internals is just fine straight out of the box running 8lbs. read the turbo section more. you will be just fine. several people have turbo'd their atx.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
where are people hearing the turbo doesn't work on stock block and atx???? i really wanna know!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
[quote author=Fissiongrid link=topic=68348.msg1180711#msg1180711 date=1170346249]
How will you get the clutch pedal in there?
[/quote]

Drill a hole? If you are willing to do the tranny swap, why would putting a hole in the floor board stop you? :p

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
i havent checked on the 3, no reason to, but my focus had a hole already punched for the clutch pedal. all i had to do was knock out the plate and mount the pedal. same thing on my friends protege5.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts