Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experiencing a "dead spot" and finds it hard to launch off the line quicker then you can? and you need to do some fancy clutch work to work around this dead spot?

Actually..it's not just for the manny tranny...this happened to me when I was driving the activematic in manual mode as well..

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yup

Actually, I've read that's the number one complaint amongst the reviewers. It doesn't launch very smoothly, mine skids more often than not. Oh well, I'm sure with time it'll be learned. I haven't mastered it so far. :(

It's a first model car, they'll probably fix it in 2005.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh...so it's not only my car that does it then. =\

but yea...it's not too hard of a work around tho... keep clutch right below friction point, give a little gas, lift clutch above friction point, push clutch back, gave more gas, and drop clutch =D... haha that's how I am doing it now anyways to get a "smoother" launch.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Bang on

Woah, not that much!

Just bring the clutch up halfway with very littl gas in just as you release it, and then push the gas down just slightly more just before the friction point releases. Then ram it! (Goodyear low-profiles will skid and not go anywhere for about 5 seconds). Hahaha. If this happens, purchase Bridgestones.

This may burn the clutch a little more, but you know what, I did the exact same thing on my 1996 Civic and I traded it in at 230, 000kms with the original clutch still in perfect condition.

Some people will not put gas in at all until the clutch is released. Guaranteed stuttering will occur as the engine is gasping.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I always thought that pressing lightly on the gas while clutching out of first was the way to start. Everytime I've let completely go of the clutch and then hit the gas a split second later the engine had already gone and stalled out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Rev it up to 4K rpms or so and drop the clutch :-D then after you peel your tires off of the pavement go buy some that can hadle it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Some questions about manual tranny on the 3:
1) Since I have only pretty much driven Hondas in past, can anyone tell me how the shifter compares with a Honda's (say Civic or Integra)?
2) How does the clutch feel? Light, heavy, long travel, short travel (before shift point)?
3) Some people here have complained about the brake being too close to the gas pedal, but does this placement make it easier to heel & toe? Has anyone tried this?

Cheers & TIA.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The shifter from the Honda is nothing compare to the one in the 3. I used to drive a Si, it's long and its slow. with the short throw that's on the 3, and doulbe synchro for the first and second gear. it's is silky smooth... (except when you rev too high and there's this "dead spot", but some clutch work will get rid of it =D)

The clutch is heavy imo.. but I like it. It pushes you back but if you do it correctly, you shift much faster. You are suppose to push your whole leg into the clutch anyways, but if you just shift using your ankle, then you might experience "grinding the gear"

Too close? not really...i find it quite comfortable. The brake is a tad too bit sensitive.. heal toe needs a little practice and getting use to, or it might be too jerky..

yep...

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I rev the engine, then drop the clutch, I hear and feel a loud thump in the engine compartment when i start to skid out. does anyone know what that sound is?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
that's the "dead spot" i am talking about.
Do you find that happening in reverse sometimes as well? I hear that loud thump about 40% of the time in reverse there.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Erv187 said:
When I rev the engine, then drop the clutch, I hear and feel a loud thump in the engine compartment when i start to skid out. does anyone know what that sound is?
Wheel hop.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The problem is not with the clutch nor the engine, but the electronic throttle system.

The symptom is the following: to start you tap the gas gently, the revs start to climb and you start easing off the clutch. You time it so that the clutch catches as you press the gas a bit harder. But instead of getting a smooth start, the revs drop below 1K despite the increased throttle input and sometimes almost stalls out before the engine comes back to life.

The cause is the delay in the electronic throttle system. There seems to be about a half second delay from when the throttle input is changed to the engine reacting to that change. So when you are trying to do a smooth launch, even though you've pressed the gas harder, the engine hasn't responded by the time the clutch has started to engage. The throttle is a half second late to the game. Then just as it bogs, the throttle comes on and off you go.

Is there a delay? Yes. Hold the engine rpm at 2K and press the gas - the engine will react about a half second later. This delay is nonexistent in a cable-throttle car, which is what we've all learned to drive with.

Anticipating this half second lag is a pain in the butt and makes the car hard to drive smoothly at any speed. I have no idea why Mazda put the delay in there but it is one of the major complaints with the 6.

I am coming from a Honda Accord and the clutch/throttle is far more precise on that car than the Mazda 3. The difference is startling. The Mazda3 feels numb and disconnected in comparison.

The Mazda3's shifter is adequate, but not great. Honda makes great manual trannies and the one in the current Civic Si is superior to the Mazda3's. The same for the Honda Element ( go test drive one if you don't believe me). Of course, nothing quite matches the S2000...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That would certainly explain why I would get the thunk more often in reverse than in any forward gear. Reverse never pushes my RPMs anywhere near 2-3.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Lets hope for a chip that solves the DBW lag.

My Jetta had DBW. After chipping, it was quick. As quick as a normal DBC engine. Hell.. i used to dump the clutch at 2k, build the rpms to 4k, hit the nitrous and boost right through on up to 7200.

·
Registered
97 Posts
LeeLee said:
I am coming from a Honda Accord and the clutch/throttle is far more precise on that car than the Mazda 3. The difference is startling. The Mazda3 feels numb and disconnected in comparison.

The Mazda3's shifter is adequate, but not great. Honda makes great manual trannies and the one in the current Civic Si is superior to the Mazda3's. The same for the Honda Element ( go test drive one if you don't believe me). Of course, nothing quite matches the S2000...
I test drove both the Honda Si G, and Mazda 3 when I was car shopping a month ago. I have to say, the Mazda 3 kicked its ass in every category (except dash design, I like the cleaner dash). The shifter on the honda is no where near as nice as the mazda, the mazda shifter is in a much better position, as well as being of a shorter, smoother throw. But considering you think nothing matches the S2000 (which is a gutless, boring roadster - yes I have tried it, and many other vehicles in its class are 3X the car), I'll cosider your opinion slightly more then a bit bias.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts