Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so we've gone round about the auto-climate in Japan, and the DVD/Glove box issue on top. Here's my new question:

Can you hack into the computer for the amber console display?

You know, it shows you the time, it shows you the radio, the right side should show you the temperature. Well, what if it did? What if you were to get some kind of digital read thermometer (say, Brookstone and Sharper Image, even Radio Shack carry those!) and somehow you should be able to output it to the display on the right. Just so much as to say what the temp inside is (screw outside - you don't really want to leave the car anyway).

Just a thought for the techno dork inside me.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gee... if it had a third number, you could post engine temp too!

And yes, I know I just replied to myself. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
Gee... if it had a third number, you could post engine temp too!

And yes, I know I just replied to myself. :)
I totally agreed. That was one of my complaints about the Mazda 3 is that the right column on the display is blank and seems useless. If you figure out a way, please share the info...I would love to have the outside temp or something there other than empty space.

Spencer

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it should be a number that counts down. When people get in the car, you can say that it will reach zero at the end of the world.

Then just keep REM's "It's The End of The World As We Know It (and I feel fine)..." in disc six to screw with their heads....

·
Registered
168 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
I think it should be a number that counts down. When people get in the car, you can say that it will reach zero at the end of the world.

Then just keep REM's "It's The End of The World As We Know It (and I feel fine)..." in disc six to screw with their heads....
LMAO!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Temperature Gauge in on the Display

I noticed that too. While I was out of town last week, I had the choice of a Ford Taurus or Mazda 6 for a rental car...Easy decision. The 6 has the same display with an outside temperature gauge. I will stop by the Mazda dealer tomorrow to see if I can buy the module used in the 6.

Ken

·
Registered
168 Posts
Re: Temperature Gauge in on the Display

SoCalMZ3 said:
I noticed that too. While I was out of town last week, I had the choice of a Ford Taurus or Mazda 6 for a rental car...Easy decision. The 6 has the same display with an outside temperature gauge. I will stop by the Mazda dealer tomorrow to see if I can buy the module used in the 6.

Ken
Please let us know and the cost of installation.

Thanks,
Spencer

·
Registered
35 Posts
ok i dont know if i understood this thread ( and we havent received our 3's here in oz yet ) but....

if you could control what was displayed, could you say display your speed or rpm there?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
askew, we are discussing the center console where the time, radio, and auto a/c contol is found. In the US and CAN we don't get the a/c portion, so the right side of the display (about 2 inches) is blank.

The LED template exists in the back for a temperature to be shown, but I haven't looked close enough to see if it allows for a 1 or 8 in front of the other two digits (8 covering all numbers). It would be nice for an outside temp, but I wouldn't even mind the inside temp - not what the a/c is set at, just what the temp is.

If the 6 comes with that gauge as the outside temp, it can't be that hard to tweak, especially it it's just some kind of modular unit controlling each of the three items (i.e. clock built in, radio input, temp input). Do we know how it receives the data?

·
Registered
35 Posts
oh i see thanks dj

i so cant wait until they arrive here and i can have a look for myself. next week i think.

dont feel bad about not getting the ac option, our base model 3 doesn't have alloy/mag wheels ( just hubcap ones ) doesnt have audio controls on wheel, doesnt have power windows/mirrors, doesnt have abs etc etc :(

good think i can stretch to the maxx ( 2nd one up ) :)

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think with enough time, an aftermarket automatic climate control system fully utilizing the display and the existing knobs/buttons can be built for about $100 in parts. I thought through it the other day and am sort of interested in trying it out.

But I have no desire to rip apart my own car to do it. Yea, I know...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup Lee.... Same here. I thought about it, and figure there's not much too it.

I think that I'm going to go and look for a demo'ed Mazda6 (just have to find that yard, I know where the Honda yard is!). Then I'll just buy the console, then tinker away with it. It could be as simple as buying the sensor for the 6 and plugging it in!

·
Registered
211 Posts
My 2006 3s Touring hatch has outside temp displayed in the right portion of this display, so I imagine it's just a sensor to buy and hook up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
It is more beneficial for me to know the temp. of outside than inside.

Its not a bad idea to have the inside temp, but having a auto climate syste, I just personally don't need the inside temp. :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
In Australia they left the sensor plug for the ambient temperature sensor in so all I did was buy the sensor and plugged it in. Easy as :p

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
[quote author=blam link=topic=1301.msg733872#msg733872 date=1148406730]
how much was the sensor? and where is it mounted?
[/quote]

when I was poking around in the engine bay on my 3 I noticed that there was a plug down in front of the radiator with nothing in it, I am guessing that would be for it, the only reason I think that is becuase I owned a jeep before my three and I did the same thing, I pluged in a sensor in and the ext. temp poped up on the computer... I know the MZ3 is different from the Jeep but just thought I would share my findings...

·
Registered
748 Posts
[quote author=bzdel2441 link=topic=1301.msg734530#msg734530 date=1148427085]
[quote author=blam link=topic=1301.msg733872#msg733872 date=1148406730]
how much was the sensor? and where is it mounted?
[/quote]

when I was poking around in the engine bay on my 3 I noticed that there was a plug down in front of the radiator with nothing in it, I am guessing that would be for it, the only reason I think that is becuase I owned a jeep before my three and I did the same thing, I pluged in a sensor in and the ext. temp poped up on the computer... I know the MZ3 is different from the Jeep but just thought I would share my findings...
[/quote]

there are a bunch of these mysterious empty plugs in my engine bay. There's one in a well by the power steering pump, one above the radiator, one at the rear of the bay, and probably more I haven't found yet. I assumed they were for diagnostic hookups, but maybe they ARE for sensors!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Also. isn't ambient temperature displayed on everyone's mirror? This would be a redundant mod.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts