Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. Bought a 04 mazda 3 with an auto trans. When I went to buy it the guy said it had a leak but was drivable as long as you kept fluid in it. It was not, but I still ended up picking it up for $600 after haggling about how I had to get it towed back to base. (Army) I'm confident in my skills mechanically, but have never dealt with pulling a trans which is what I'm thinking I might have to do. I lifted it hoping that it as a drain plug or a trans pan hole but its coming from where the engine meets the trans. What could it be? A seal? Please help, thank you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Regardless of what it is you're going to have to pull it to investigate. If it were me I would be budgeting for a decent used transmission. Also, in pulling it you will need some special tools. In particular you need an engine support bar to hold the engine in place as the transmission is removed. You also need a method to pull the axles. I have found that a slide hammer with an axle puller attachment works great for this. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regardless of what it is you're going to have to pull it to investigate. If it were me I would be budgeting for a decent used transmission. Also, in pulling it you will need some special tools. In particular you need an engine support bar to hold the engine in place as the transmission is removed. You also need a method to pull the axles. I have found that a slide hammer with an axle puller attachment works great for this. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Upon further investigation this morning it appears there is some sort of large hole in the trans housing, it appears to be too clean to have just somehow broken. Thoughts?

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's not the source of the leak so much as it's an outlet for what leaks. Those port holes seem to be on all the automatics; I haven't spoken with a Mazda engineer, and I've seen no reference to it in the factory service manual, but it seems like some kind of vent, inspection port, or access hole for the flex plate. I think it doesn't have a rubber grommet because it's sufficiently shielded by the splash guard.

If you've got a LED-lit borehole camera, or even a small inspection mirror (though that'll be more tedious), you may be able to peer in there and more clearly see the source of the leak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That "hole" is supposed to be there.

Based on how much oil is coming out, you have a serious leak on the transmission side. Inside the transmission bell housing are the torque converter, which is filled with fluid, and the transmission oil pump is there also and the input shaft, which has a seal.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It's most likely the torque converter seal. In any case, the trans will need to come out to verify the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts