Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 HB is about 3 months old and I notice that at the end of both side sill entension there are major rock chips. It is right beloe the rear passenger doors. I believe they came from the front wheels. Mazda should have put some clear protective film there by default. Has anyone discovered this?

·
Registered
254 Posts
actually it's unfortunate but the paint on most new cars is pretty prone to any kind of scratching... my car is about 3 weeks old and i definitely have a few scratches on my hood/headlights/front bumper/ and side sills caused by rocks and sand kicked up off the road.. it's bound to happen unless you want to drop hundreds of bucks on clear protective film

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
3guy said:
My 3 HB is about 3 months old and I notice that at the end of both side sill entension there are major rock chips. It is right beloe the rear passenger doors. I believe they came from the front wheels. Mazda should have put some clear protective film there by default. Has anyone discovered this?
I noticed this to my car months ago, it sucks dont it? And you probably got some rock chips on the body of the car right above the rear of the side sill extension dont you?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
its bond to happen if you live in an area where they put sand/rock on the road. It's expected.. even with clear protection, it will happen to the rest of the body. The only way to prevent this from happening is, don't drive in winter months.

but in Calgary.. that's like 8 out of the 12 months. so =P

·
Registered
154 Posts
Its strange that I found a rock chip on top of my spoiler!!!! and it's bigger than the ones on the hood and front bumper area!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have some small scratches along my doors, probably rocks being picked up by the front wheels. I think that the ground effects/ side sill extensions should stick out a little farther to prevent the rocks from being thrown against the side of the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got stonechips on the hood & windshield and two scratches on the front and rear roof all from one stone bouncing along the length of the car :-( From the noise it made when it hit (I was doing 80mph) I thought the windshield had cracked but luckily it's only a small mark.

I've got the Winning blue touch up paint just waiting for a warm day to apply it.

aDe

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Just washed/waxed my car today since its the first time we broke 40F in a while. There's a 2 inch GOUGE in my rear extension looks like rock kickup. In the front I have scraping as well (have no idea where that came from). Needless to say, I'm pretty bummed. My baby's got about 10 rock chip marks overall :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
I also have noticed rock chips below the rear doors on the ground effects(5-door), and i know that chips can occur anywhere and for any reason but the way they are forming almost seems like a design flaw of some sort with the amount of chipping going on in such a small concentrated area, maybe its just me though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Me too. A stupid big truck was way ahead of me, but the rocks it kicked up put a big paint chip and some small ones on my front bumper, then there was a rock hitting the roof. Have been trying to find Mothers paint chip repair kit around here in Vancouver, but cannot find any. Seems like I have to order it online, or use my airbrush to re-paint it. >( @#$$^#%%$^

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I made a post about it in "Things I hate about the 3" or one of those such threads about 2 months ago.

I think the paint might be curing? However, the worst damage appears to be on the ground fx parts, which are plastic ... I dunno.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i havent had any bad luck with the side sills, but i have about 4 paint chips on the hood, a tiny white scratch on lower part of the passenger door...and two scratches on the upper most left hand tip of the trunk *weird place puzzles me*...im trying to get that california gold mothers paint chip repair thing....but i dunno where to find it lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hrm, I have the same problem as well and I was wondering what could be done to fix it? I'm thinking that the problem is that there are no front mudguards with the GFX package... If the side sill extension was cut a little in the front, would a front mudguard be able to fit? Dunno if it would look weird or not. The only other solution I can think of is to put some decals down on where the paint is chipping to protect the bodywork. Oh, BTW, what part of Calgary do you live in Fobby_Monkey? Haven't seen too many 3's around here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
dinu01 said:
Moved to Maintenance/Care

Question: This seems like a lot of chips in very little time. How good is the pain on this car? Is it perhaps too thin???
I think the paint is quite thin when I look at the paint chips. Maybe just primer+Paint+Clear coat. Today, it is sunny in Vancouver. I washed my car, and found that there were actually lots of rock chips on the bumper. Fortunately only the clear coat and the sealant are damaged. I am going to use Mothers 3 steps to redo the front bumper and the hood. Hopefully this will help a bit in the future. :....(

·
Registered
185 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
i havent had any bad luck with the side sills, but i have about 4 paint chips on the hood, a tiny white scratch on lower part of the passenger door...and two scratches on the upper most left hand tip of the trunk *weird place puzzles me*...im trying to get that california gold mothers paint chip repair thing....but i dunno where to find it lol
Funky, let me know if you find that it is sold in Canada. I have been looking for it in Vancouver but couldn't find any. The only places I can find are the websites in U.S. Meanwhile, I am thinking of using airbrush to repaint the chips on my car. Hopefully it works.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a scratch, paint/ repairing kit i got from the mazda mechanics that detail your car when you are about to buy it. This guy hooked me up with everything to clean and detail you car including the inside (cheap interior). Its is a 3 step process after you wash your car. You use the clay to smear over the scratch and add something onto it, i forget, and the last step is to wax it. If anyone lives near pomona or LA i can certainly hook them up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts