Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealership advised me to bring my new 3S back for service every six months regardless of mileage, however Mazda's first recommended service interval is 7500 miles. I've had the car for six months now but only have 1200 miles on it. Has anyone had the experience where their dealership claimed that they voided the warranty by not having their 3 serviced according to their dealership's recommended schedule, and not Mazda's own? Just curious. TIA.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
As long as you follow Mazda's schedule you will be fine. That being said, a dealer could possibly try to void your warranty if you followed the "normal" service schedule, and they believe you should have followed the "severe" schedule based on where you live.

When I bought my Dakota R/T, the sales manager high-lighted and then signed the severe schedule on my manual, and he flat out told me since my truck would be driven in the hot, dusty desert (where I live) I had to follow the severe schedule or they wouldn't honor my warranty. I was going to follow the severe schedule anyway, but that was a first for me.

Darryl

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Honestly, if your dealer is trying to screw you over like that, I'd just go to another dealer. Your 3 does not need maintenance every 6 months, except for oil changes based on mileage. Chances are if you were to bring it in when they want you to, they'd "find" all sorts of things that need to be replaced that really don't. You'd just be wasting your money. Follow the manual (you can follow the severe schedule if you want) and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a rule of thumb, regardless of mileage you should not exceed 6 months between oil changes. Oil also degrades over time in addition to usage. This is what the oil industry is talking about when they refer to bitter or sweet crude. Basically how long the refined product will "hold" its refined state changes based on what type of crude it is refined from.

Other than the oil though short of leaving your car just sitting for extended periods (3+ months), it shouldn't require any actual service. If you are leaving your car sitting for months on end without even starting it up, you should look into how to prepare it for those periods (putting it on blocks, fogging the engine, etc).

The dealership can't mess with the "Mazda" warranty on the vehicle as long as you follow the schedule in the manual. However if you purchased a dealer policy (extended/bumper to bumper warranty) then they can screw you out of that by not following their schedule.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Its usually

xxxx miles or 3/6 months "whichever comes first"

same with coolent or something
xxxxx miles or 24/36/48months "whichever comes first"

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=tksugita link=topic=65817.msg1160100#msg1160100 date=1169338989]
As a rule of thumb, regardless of mileage you should not exceed 6 months between oil changes. Oil also degrades over time in addition to usage. This is what the oil industry is talking about when they refer to bitter or sweet crude. Basically how long the refined product will "hold" its refined state changes based on what type of crude it is refined from.
[/quote]

Where did you get this information from? You do realize that ATF , Power Steering Fluid and other lubricants are also derived from crude base stocks, right? Using your logic, they should all be replaced every six months.
Bitter or Sweet?? roflmfao! I don't know about you but I think I'll pass on tasting my engine oil.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Coming from a non-expert with some information under his belt, I'd say it all depends how often you drive. 1200 miles in 6 months is not a lot by any means. But, if you drive about 50 miles/week moreover than 1200/half-year (think weekly trips moreso than 2 or 3 really long, sporadic trips), I don't think you should be pressed to get an oil change after 6 months (esp. the case if you are using full synthetic). But, if you want to air on the side of caution, then it couldn't hurt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts