Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was having issues with my fuel trims slowly going negative. So did the usual. Cleaned my MAF and intake, was about time. Next drained the OCC. Went through all my connections and made sure all was tight. So far no luck.

Started going down to a -3.1 then -6.3 and so to -7.8 and -9.4 sometimes.

Codes came across

I suspected my purge solenoid again. O2 sensors replaced not to long ago so did not suspect at the time. Was also thinking my MAF could have an issue.

After doing the usual cleaning and tightening of connections I got rid of the 2188.

Fuel trims seem to come down but went back up to -6.2. Also got a 0104 code. so I went after the MAF.

I pulled the pins from the plug and tightened the clips. Then made sure the MAF and plug were clean. Finally cleaned the pins on the sensor side with small screw driver and then with isopropyl alcohol and q tip ends. The MAF sensor itself I just spray with MAF cleaner.

Did not havea 0104 cod anymore but got the 0441 soon for evap flow issue. So replaced my purge solenoid. That cleared but my trims went negative.

I inspected my MAF wires again and played with the pins on the plug side while running. Observed my fuel trims coming back to 0 after pushing on the wires a bit on the back side of the plug. also observed them going to shit...real negative -12.

Well was going to replace my MAF and decided before doing so to pull the pins on the MAF plug one more time and tighten the clips. This time I made sure the clips were real tight. I depined and then used a close pin needle to bend the clip down.

After my fuel trims came down and now they sit around 0 at idle. My fuel trims stated above were at idle.

Now my fuel trims are back to normal and the car is running really good.

Bottom line
Pull your plug harness for your MAF sensor and depin it. Tighten up the clips inside those pins. Save you from some fun times.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Couldn't hurt to spray them with Deoxit. Those pins run in a harsh environment and are always oxidizing. Deoxit will enhance conductivity and add protection. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Was wondering if there was something I could put on the pins, thanks.

I actually pulled my battery and checked all the wires going to the pcm.

I did not like how the MAF wires were routed even though they had the necessary slack.

So I did reroute them. But it did not fix the issue. Routing looks better now. will need to post a pic.

Only when I tightened up the clips inside the pins more did the numbers come right in and I mean right on.

Just got through running down the freeway a bit and coming back. Ran it pertty hard. Numbers went up to -3.1 then came back to 0 after pulling in to the driveway and sitting for 10.

Those clips being loose can really be misleading.

Oh forgot I have a cobb intake with a JBR TIP.

I was doing all kinds of troubleshooting with this. Intermittent faults are the worst to chase.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The same happened to my 2004 2.0 ATX, but instead I replace the whole connector with a pigtail/connector from ebay...And my fuel trims are now hovering at zero.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff bud. Good you got it fixed.

I was looking at replacing the connector at one point. Was also about to replace the MAF.

But all it needed was a little adjustment.

Would not think this to be normal wear at all. Mine most likely loosened up faster than normal from me yanking crap all the time. I have removed my intake system many times now. But hard to say. Some how the clips got bent further open.

Ride is running real nice so far now with numbers around 0 at idle. Feels good. Was really stressing the issue before.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little update.

Ride running right. Also not having any issues with my battery loosing a charge after 2 to 3 days anymore.

Looks like the loose ground on my MAF was draining the battery. All good now. Did not start the ride for a week. First time started right up. Before I would of been jumping it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts