Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of us here test drive mazda 6 V6? I would like to know how strong it is compare to m3 2.3 (same year - 2007) in term of acceleration from a stop. A lot stronger? or just a bit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
The V6 is a strong engine, my wifes wagon, as heavy as it is and being an ATX, has great acceleration, it definetely feels strong, especially after we installed the CPe intake :) Once it hits about 5000rpm, it really screams to redline!!!

(Both our cars are 2004 models)

·
Registered
315 Posts
My friend has an '06 V6 with the atx. Everything about his car feels powerful. I haven't gotten to drive it yet but even from the back seat I can tell it's got some balls (and he drives like a grandma).

·
Registered
782 Posts
The new M3 would totally rip the Mazda 6 V6 apart, since it's actually a 4.0 L V8. But I think you're actually talking about the MZ3 2.3? Just an FYI for future reference when you get the two mixed up... :)

I test drove a MTX V6 before I got the 3 and it really has a strong, smooth power delivery, not to mention a really nice deep growl from the exhaust. Mazda tuned the 6 very well in that regard. Makes a big difference when it comes to straight-line acceleration, and also when you are carrying a heavy load.

But because of the heavier weight, it does make the car feel nose heavy in turns compared to the 3. And for me, coming from a V6 in my previous car, I realized how rarely I actually use the extra power and grunt, and the lighter weight and better fuel economy of the 4 cyl. became more important to me. If acceleration is all that matters to you, get the V6.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it just me or the Mazda6 V6 really sluggish? Test drove last Saturday. It doesn't want to move when I press the gas. Have to hit it hard to move.
The maxima is quite different. You just hit it slightly and it jumps.

Just sold my mazda3 and since Mazda6 is below my expectation I will switch to a different market.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I dunno man, my wifes ATX wagon moves quite swiftly.

Well, to each his own... but consider this...

3 different Mz6 models to choose from between $4-6k less... then the fact you can get the Speed6 for the price of the low end SE Maxima... I'll take the AWD turbo thank you :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=AutoXer link=topic=72094.msg1292459#msg1292459 date=1174941550]

3 different Mz6 models to choose from between $4-6k less... then the fact you can get the Speed6 for the price of the low end SE Maxima... I'll take the AWD turbo thank you :)
[/quote]

umm ... not quite sure why we compare the price here. Just wonder the sluggish at startup or from stop. Even Honda Accord or Toyota Camry 4 banger have a better jumps.

·
Registered
782 Posts
[quote author=07m3guy link=topic=72094.msg1292469#msg1292469 date=1174941812]
Just wonder the sluggish at startup or from stop. Even Honda Accord or Toyota Camry 4 banger have a better jumps.
[/quote]

Maybe the 6 you drove wasn't running properly? My wife's Camry certainly doesn't jump off the line like the V6 MZ6 that I drove!

You mentioned in your earlier post that you had to hit the gas hard on the MZ6 for it to move, compared to the Maxima. Perhaps it isn't so much a difference in power (though the Maxima certainly does have more) that you're perceiving, but the difference in the throttle response. The Maxima throttle may open up more at smaller angles of the gas pedal compared to the MZ6, hence the feeling of being more jumpy off the line. But if you do WOT on the MZ6, it does indeed move, esp. with its lighter weight compared to the Maxima.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
[quote author=07m3guy link=topic=72094.msg1292469#msg1292469 date=1174941812]
[quote author=AutoXer link=topic=72094.msg1292459#msg1292459 date=1174941550]

[/quote]

umm ... not quite sure why we compare the price here. Just wonder the sluggish at startup or from stop. Even Honda Accord or Toyota Camry 4 banger have a better jumps.
[/quote]

you mentioned the Maxima and the fact you're looking to other markets...i just went with it...

and going on what kendalf was saying, gearing could have the off the line difference you may be feeling...power curve, torque curve...many things could account for it. I don't see it as an issue to seek other markets, but like i said, to each his own and you need to get what suits you best.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you mentioned the Maxima and the fact you're looking to other markets...i just went with it...

and going on what kendalf was saying, gearing could have the off the line difference you may be feeling...power curve, torque curve...many things could account for it. I don't see it as an issue to seek other markets, but like i said, to each his own and you need to get what suits you best.
What? Maxima? too expensive. Mazda3 is still a bit beyond me. I think I get 07 Infiniti G35. That suites me more.

·
Registered
782 Posts
[quote author=07m3guy link=topic=72094.msg1303952#msg1303952 date=1175393891]
What? Maxima? too expensive. Mazda3 is still a bit beyond me. I think I get 07 Infiniti G35. That suites me more.
[/quote]

:thinking: Last time I checked, the G35 cost more than the Maxima...

And I'm not sure what you meant by the Mazda3 still a bit beyond you. If you were referring to the Speed3, that's still several thousand below the Maxima and G35.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Used to have an 04 Mazda6 V6 auto including all options except navi. b4 i traded it in for an 06 MZ3 5 door S touring MT. Lot of people might say its a downgrade :?, but for me its not. :D My good ol' M6 V6 does feel a little sluggish dont know why.. discussed this to my service manager a lot of time, gave me a pcm, tcm update and everything, doesnt work at all! So after gas prices soared-up high like #@#%$.. i finally decided to trade it in. From stop(0-40) my mz3 do feel stronger than the m6 v6 i had, well maybe because i have manual tranny now, but from highway speeds (60-100..110..etc) V6 is very sweet cannot complain about that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
[quote author=leechigrey2 link=topic=72094.msg1304766#msg1304766 date=1175448716]
Used to have an 04 Mazda6 V6 auto including all options except navi. b4 i traded it in for an 06 MZ3 5 door S touring MT. Lot of people might say its a downgrade :?, but for me its not. :D My good ol' M6 V6 does feel a little sluggish dont know why.. discussed this to my service manager a lot of time, gave me a pcm, tcm update and everything, doesnt work at all! So after gas prices soared-up high like #@#%$.. i finally decided to trade it in. From stop(0-40) my mz3 do feel stronger than the m6 v6 i had, well maybe because i have manual tranny now, but from highway speeds (60-100..110..etc) V6 is very sweet cannot complain about that.
[/quote]

i agree...i have a 2002 maxima right now with the 3.5L engine and it's eating gas like crazy. gas prices are up to $3.499 now and i hope to get a mazda3 very soon. i wanted to trade in my maxima but they only offer me $4,000 for it =/ mine is fully loaded except for navi but almost 90K right now hah so i don't know. but ya i test drove the mazda3 the other week and driving around from stop light to stop light the mazda3 feels stronger than my maxima for some reason...but once i got onto the fwy my maxima will pull like crazy while the mazda3 just pulls. i'm surprise the mazda3 felt so good lol handles a lot better than my current car too!

·
Registered
665 Posts
[quote author=lowincash link=topic=72094.msg1315792#msg1315792 date=1175835962]
[quote author=leechigrey2 link=topic=72094.msg1304766#msg1304766 date=1175448716]
[/quote]

i agree...i have a 2002 maxima right now with the 3.5L engine and it's eating gas like crazy. gas prices are up to $3.499 now and i hope to get a mazda3 very soon. i wanted to trade in my maxima but they only offer me $4,000 for it =/ mine is fully loaded except for navi but almost 90K right now hah so i don't know. but ya i test drove the mazda3 the other week and driving around from stop light to stop light the mazda3 feels stronger than my maxima for some reason...but once i got onto the fwy my maxima will pull like crazy while the mazda3 just pulls. i'm surprise the mazda3 felt so good lol handles a lot better than my current car too!
[/quote]

yeah the nissan 3.5L V6 is known to have not-so-good gas mileage. In some cases, like in the G35, consumer reports got only 13 mpg in city driving (26 for highway). It's a good engine but eats a lot of gas. he new V6 engines from Honda, Toyota and even BMW are much more fuel efficient. I'm still hoping the upcoming G37 with the new nissan 3.7L engine will have better gas mileage (despite having larger displacement).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts