Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shifting into first, second and third, its feels like it doesn't want to just slide into gear, not so much that i have to force it, but it feels like its bumping or tapping as im shifting. first gear is the most noticeable... and i only shift into first at a complete stop. sometimes i put it back in neutral and try again just because it doesnt feel right. second and third usually go away after a while but its still there. and sometimes everything seems perfectly smooth which is why its so weird to be, but at the same time i'm guessing its normal because the car has only 2000 miles on it?

anyone have an easy explanation? sry if its been explained somewhere else. i read somewhat into other M/T problems and didn't really find what i was looking for.

I'm not just drinking that n00b juice... this really is my first M/T... :p

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
the car has triple cone synchros in the lower gears. sometimes one or more of the synchros will not be lined up properly, causing difficulty getting into gear. it should go away after the car warms up a little and the things glide better in the warm fluid.
first will block me out sometimes too.. i just pull out and re-pump the clutch and it goes in.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
[quote author=PJ 3i07 link=topic=74932.msg1342279#msg1342279 date=1176777685]
appreciate the reply...

if i have to somewhat force it into first, while stopped, i'm not hurting anything right?
[/quote]

It's not good to force anything. Like tru-boost said, just clutch in and try again. Bending a shift fork isn't a good thing. This happens to me sometimes especially if I'm in neutral and about to go into first. I just clutch in and start over.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=74932.msg1342564#msg1342564 date=1176782601]
[quote author=PJ 3i07 link=topic=74932.msg1342279#msg1342279 date=1176777685]
appreciate the reply...

if i have to somewhat force it into first, while stopped, i'm not hurting anything right?
[/quote]

It's not good to force anything. Like tru-boost said, just clutch in and try again. Bending a shift fork isn't a good thing. This happens to me sometimes especially if I'm in neutral and about to go into first. I just clutch in and start over.
[/quote]

alright thanks, and the bumping/tapping is ok right as long as im not forcing it real hard?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
[quote author=jcrystal link=topic=74932.msg1342961#msg1342961 date=1176813072]
Sometimes it helps to put it into second and then shift up to first......
[/quote]

+100

You come to a stop - clutch in - put in 2nd then slide up to first. - Big difference

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.