Mazda3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
743 Posts
Maybe resurrect the Mazda 929.

Mazda9

hmm.

The Millenia was the top line Mazda here in Aus for a while.

· Registered
492 Posts
"Luxury" and "Mazda" don't belong in the same sentence, much less the same topic. Mazda is all about a sporty driving experience...in that way they're a lot like BMW used to be (mostly still are, except for that i-drive monstrosity that keeps infecting everything).

I can see Mazda making upscale versions of their cars (maybe an "L" trim) but leave the luxo-junk to Ford's Lincoln and Mercury divisions...oh, and Volvo, and Jaguar. Mazda doesn't need to get big and marshmallow-ey, which is what many luxury buyers want. Mazda needs to stick with what it knows best: the emotional experience of DRIVING.

Not "driving" but DRIVING. Most people "drive." But we Mazda owners know how to DRIVE, man! :) It's all about the grin when you put your hands on the wheel, and Mazda needs to concentrate on that grin.

· Registered
32 Posts
Maybe Mazda could make a competitor to the Acura TL style sedan. This way they could be in the pseudo-lux market and still go with their zoom-zoom soul of a sports car approach. I realize they have the 6 to run with the TL but i mean more luxurious.

· Registered
492 Posts
Three11 said:
Maybe Mazda could make a competitor to the Acura TL style sedan. This way they could be in the pseudo-lux market and still go with their zoom-zoom soul of a sports car approach. I realize they have the 6 to run with the TL but i mean more luxurious.
And when Honda started putting all of their attention into Acura here, what happened to Honda? ;) Civics that fall apart, an Si that isn't really S or i, and...well...the Element. 'Nuff said. ;) Let Volvo and Jag handle the "sport luxury" bit...that's what those brands are all about after all, and it's better for Mazda to stick with it's identity.

· Registered
859 Posts
The Hondas in australia that are creating excitement are the european or japanese designed/influenced ones... the american designed/influenced ones are regarded as boring and uninspiring by enthusiasts... Accord and MDX to name 2.

sorry to my US neighbours, btw, but its the truth!! :)

· Registered
251 Posts
nouse4aname said:
'Mazda' already has a luxury brand reflected in the Ford luxury brands. For instance the Lincoln based on the 6 and Volvo based on the 3.
Not really... the Lincoln LS (which I assume is what you meant) is in a very round-about way based on the 6. The LS's platform is almost identical to the Jaguar X-Type, which is based on the Mondeo platform, which is where the Mazda6 has its roots. So, they are related but in such a distant manner that I wouldnt call them brothers... more like second cousins.

· Registered
480 Posts
MPower said:
nouse4aname said:
'Mazda' already has a luxury brand reflected in the Ford luxury brands. For instance the Lincoln based on the 6 and Volvo based on the 3.
Not really... the Lincoln LS (which I assume is what you meant) is in a very round-about way based on the 6. The LS's platform is almost identical to the Jaguar X-Type, which is based on the Mondeo platform, which is where the Mazda6 has its roots. So, they are related but in such a distant manner that I wouldnt call them brothers... more like second cousins.
whu?! the Lincoln LS shares its platform with the S-TYPE (and now with the 2005 Mustang)... NOT the X-type... the LS has nothing to do with the Mazda6 either...
the Lincoln based on the 6 that nouse4aname is referring to is the 2006 Zephyr that was shown in concept form at the NY autoshow earlier this year

· Registered
251 Posts
Slalom said:
MPower said:
nouse4aname said:
whu?! the Lincoln LS shares its platform with the S-TYPE (and now with the 2005 Mustang)... NOT the X-type... the LS has nothing to do with the Mazda6 either...
the Lincoln based on the 6 that nouse4aname is referring to is the 2006 Zephyr that was shown in concept form at the NY autoshow earlier this year
Ahh... your right. I have no idea what I was thinking... :oops: For some reason I assosiated LS with Mondeo, dont ask me why.

· Registered
362 Posts
DrewSG said:
Mazda can't finance another luxury flop again, The future of mazda is riding on the rx-8, and 6. I believe mazda should just stick with making fun, affordable, fun to drive sporty cars.
____-

The competition against Toyota, Honda and Infiniti is too stiff. Mazda should just stick to what it does best: design fun-to-drive cars with good mechanical innovation. Put more MazdaSpeed into Mazda, Make the MZ3 with more aftermarket options, like the Toyota Scion tC.

Heck, Mazda can sell all the MZ3s it manufactures.

· Registered
132 Posts
Lux cars suck. Over priced and boring to look at most of the time IMO. I would much prefer their sportier counterparts which is where Mazda's market really lies.

· Registered
208 Posts
as some of you already mentioned mazda does not need a luxury brand because jaguar in the high end and volvo in the mid range compete with other luxury brands. mazda acts as the sporty import devision of ford empire.

Total sale figures of mazda in US is a little bit higher than acura or lexus (number of cars), i am pretty sure the total sale in cash is less than both acura and lexus, so there is no room for a luxury brand here.

currently mazda makes good money on high end 3s, what mazda needs to do is to make 6 and tribute replacements (cx-7?) as competitive as mazda3. the midsize sedan and midsize crossover SUV are the key segments of the market for mazdas future. currently 6 is doing fine but with people getting tired of camry and accord it can do much better. the new CX-7 is a very important car for mazda and i hope it will be a success, however this segment of the market (midsize crossover) is more conservative than compact and probably mazda is going to keep tribute in production as a parallel line (basically a rebadged ford doesn't take much effort to keep it alive) for conservative customer.

· Registered
139 Posts
I think mazda might slowly be trying to re-birth their luxury line take for example the '06 modles now have not just the i and the s with options but the i base, i touring and they have the s base, s touring, & s grand touring so maybe they are slowly bringing it bak but not all at once maybe to see how people react also i think its going pretty good cuz seems like on the forms your seein alot of ppl getting gt's but maybe they wont go as far as bringing bak the Amati line :D

· Registered
29 Posts
I dont know if anyone has been paying attention lately to the vehicles that Mazda is presenting this year and next. Starting with the new CX-7, and CX-9. I took my car into the dealership to get it serviced, and they had the Merlot colored CX-7 showing the dealrs and such. It was very nice, I was lucky to see it, however it looks a lot like the Lexus RX-350 and Murano. In comparission to the Murano it looks better in my mind with as many if not more options for A LOT less. Over all it looks like a great SUV. I would strongly consider it. As well, the CX-9 which is more like the RX-350, in overall size and content. I think they look like 2 very exceptional SUV's to replace the MPV and Tribute. I think it has taken Mazda several years, but they are certianly doing well now.

I just received the new Motor Trend, they seem to really love Mazda. The 3 wagon has been #1 in all comps. The new CX-7 got an excellent review... "Mazda channels Porsche..." in the words of a writer at MT.

"Prepare yourself for a vehicle that’s 50% SUV, 50% sports car and 100% Mazda. Be seen in its bold design and be moved by its sports car inspired performance"

I think the coming years are going to be great for Mazda. My 2004 has its first year quirks, but the 3s seem to be getting better!

· Registered
504 Posts
Why Mazda doesn't have Luxury name such as Lexus, Acura or Infinity? Than asnwer these questions for me,

1. Do they really need to have one? If Toyota already got Scion too, does it mean Mazda has to do the same?

2. As we all know, any Luxury car has very expensive parts, how much will it cost to repair one? MAzda parts are not cheap compare to Toyota or Honda parts

3. Evey LUXURY car has to have big or very powerfull engine to carry their REALLY heavy load of those features which are included, so do you need to make a car just for that?

4. Most of the Luxury cars, do have big engines, suck on gas, require Premium fuel only, Too much electronics involved, where if you have a problem to your car and the only way to fix it or work on it is to give it to a mechanic.

Well, It does sounds nice idea for Mazda to have another Luxury type of the car, BUT in the class where they are, with all the features, and looks they already beat Civics and Toyotas, not Cobalt which is I call a plain looking car with nothing to be excited about. Plus, now Mazda builds MAZDASPEED versions of 3, where they had PretegeSPEED, which has more power, more luxurious and etc, and still not expensive compare to other car makers. I think Mercedes, Porsha, Audi, Ferrari, and Lambo can take care of their own name and their class. IF you are one of those who wants a luxurious Mazda car, then i would reccomend for you to buy the one you like, color you want, Grand Touring version, so you will have HID's, LEather, Sun-roof, 6-Disck changer, navigation and etc. And for you to get to more luxury stage, just swap to MAZDASPEED engine or more powerfull one, reupholter front dash to leather material, place really nice Alarm, apply Sound Deadening material for a quieter ride, and at the end replace all MAzda emblem to your own custom made onw, and now YOU GOT YOUSELF a LUXURY Mazda only with your own emblem on it. Does it worth it spending up to 20k to get your mazda to that stage when MAzda already includes lots of features, much more than any corolla or civic. If you think it all worth it, than i would recommend you to wait till MAzdaSPEED comes out, trade in, or just sell your ride and buy yourself BMW, Audi, or Mercedes, which ever you like. If you have lots of money, and only going for a reputation, than do so. Anyways, I think Mazda can start their LUXURY type cars, but do they have to? Can't they just stick to their name, and make what they have even better to make all those BMW's feel bad, that some MAzda just owned them in every way.

· Registered
651 Posts
The Azera isn't luxury. Its the same class as an Accord (25K).

But a good example is VW and the Phaeton.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.