Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup

just wondering if any1 here is runing one, i think it is a very good upgrade for safety.

i think its quaife that makes one for the mazda but i can not find it.

any1?

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a 155WHP NA car doesnt really need a LSD, on the other hand a 260+ TC car that get mad wheel spin there i think it needs one.

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i only see them for the mZ6 ?

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got any idea on how many hours of work is it to install?

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
[quote author=eurotuner link=topic=68992.msg1194957#msg1194957 date=1170959754]
got any idea on how many hours of work is it to install?
[/quote]

Not many cause if you are going to drop the tranny to put in an LSD, be ready to regear and add a stronger clutch. No need to stress the rest of the tranny by just adding an LSD, and slipping the clutch.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have to disagree that a 155 whp car doesn't need one. Technically, the Quaife isn't an LSD but an ATB (Automatic Torque Biasing differential), and it's a wonderful thing. I will, if possible, have one in ever car I own from now on. Not only is it a blessing in good weather, it's been fantastic in this Michigan winter. Traction in snow is greatly improved, especially if one wheel is on slippery stuff and the other is on dry pavement.

When I originally called Mazdaspeed to ask about the Quaife, they told me that it was a race only part. Their words when I asked why Corksport was able to sell it were something like, "Yes, Corksport is our 'out' to allow non-racers access to this part." Corksport charges even more money now than when I bought mine, though!

Even at the $1541 I paid for it, it's been worth every penny. Although it doesn't increase torque steer in a straight line (it actually seems to reduce it in that situation), it DOES increase torque steer if you hit the gas while turning the wheel from a stop. Overall, it's highly recommended if you can afford the price. Theoretically, it should also reduce understeer while accelerating around curves, since the outer wheel will tend to get more torque sent to it than with an open diff. It also has by far the best warranty I've ever read for anything. It's warranted for life, even if you race, regardless of how much power you add to your car, as long as it was installed correctly.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
it seems a must to have...I plan buying one in the short future but damn its
expensive!

·
Registered
656 Posts
[quote author=Xenon929 link=topic=68992.msg1196297#msg1196297 date=1170991957]
I had the guys at my dealer install it. it's got a few adjusments that have to be made in order to fit right but nothing that an experienced shop hasn't probably seen yet.
[/quote]

Yes, some gearboxes have the parts already fixed for this and some don't. Mine fitted perfectly with no mods, but my friend's did not. We had to grind off a little on the selector guide.

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[quote author=Chibana link=topic=68992.msg1196128#msg1196128 date=1170987277]
I have to disagree that a 155 whp car doesn't need one. Technically, the Quaife isn't an LSD but an ATB (Automatic Torque Biasing differential), and it's a wonderful thing. I will, if possible, have one in ever car I own from now on. Not only is it a blessing in good weather, it's been fantastic in this Michigan winter. Traction in snow is greatly improved, especially if one wheel is on slippery stuff and the other is on dry pavement.

When I originally called Mazdaspeed to ask about the Quaife, they told me that it was a race only part. Their words when I asked why Corksport was able to sell it were something like, "Yes, Corksport is our 'out' to allow non-racers access to this part." Corksport charges even more money now than when I bought mine, though!

Even at the $1541 I paid for it, it's been worth every penny. Although it doesn't increase torque steer in a straight line (it actually seems to reduce it in that situation), it DOES increase torque steer if you hit the gas while turning the wheel from a stop. Overall, it's highly recommended if you can afford the price. Theoretically, it should also reduce understeer while accelerating around curves, since the outer wheel will tend to get more torque sent to it than with an open diff. It also has by far the best warranty I've ever read for anything. It's warranted for life, even if you race, regardless of how much power you add to your car, as long as it was installed correctly.
[/quote]

hey tell me.

how is ur clutch doing?

what does it feel like compare to stock?

like fox said, while its open, might as well drop in a new clutch.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I had the performance shop that I've been using for my last three cars and trust completely do mine. They have more than 30 years of experience hot rodding (in addition to being a parts store and "normal" mechanic shop). They had no problems with the install.

I have the SPEC Stage 2 clutch. It's OK. I'm not a huge fan, but keep in mind that I've never had an aftermarket clutch on any of my cars. It's never been necessary before, but since I plan on going with HiBoost on this one, I decided to do up the tranny first. The odd thing about the SPEC Stage 2 (which Steve at NSN assures me is normal for this clutch) is that the activation point is at the top quarter or so of the clutch travel, and that has taken some getting used to. There's also a bit less travel for slipping the clutch while starting out in first gear, which results in my spinning the tires a bit sometimes when I don't intend to--a problem that will only get worse with 250+ whp. I'm starting to wish I had just stuck with the OEM clutch until it burned up, and then looked into higher torque clutches when it was truly necessary. I'm not typically hard on clutches.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
^^^ the activation point is totallly normal. I have the stg 3 and is the exact same thing. But I haven't had any issues with jerking or burning rubber when i don't want to. Justtakes a bit getting used to. And when you have the turbo it will be no different, unless you release at high rpms.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
[quote [email protected] link=topic=68992.msg1198211#msg1198211 date=1171064665]
i need one but gears first...then lsd and clutch
[/quote]

But you are going to do it all at the same time right?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
i really wish these were cheaper. the quaife (<sp) is soo expensive unless you are really a serious racer. hopefully another company will come out with one that isnt so high in price...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts