Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this goes out to those of you with the mazda3 but also have owned mazdas in the past...

what is your opinion of them? i honestly don't know much about mazdas in general. i know i've heard a lot about honda and toyota's reliability.. as well as nissan nowadays.. but i've heard nothing, good or bad, about mazdas... i.e. engine longevity, build quality, problems here and there, etc.. thanks for the info!

EDIT: Thread title

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well I just bought my second Mazda in a row so I really like them. They have good reliability and a certain flair that other manufacturers lack.

For the kind of info your looking for though, your probably best to look at edmunds or consumer reports on older models to get a better idea but by and large Mazda is a pretty reliable brand.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I'm not stupidly blind like some H/T folks, but like Mazdas for making sporty, stylish, reliable cars that the avg (see not loaded) person can afford.

Best small car: 3
Best midsize: 6
Best Minivan: tough call - Ody, MPV, Quest, Sienna are all good
Best Sports car: tough call again, albeit they're all VERY different - RX-8, 350Z, S2000, Miata
Best SUV: NOT the Tribute, although it's fast and "sporty" (for an SUV)

Reliability: As long as you knwo what you're getting, Mazdas are fine. Don't think all Hondas and Toyotas are bulletproof - do some research before.

As for the 3 - it's THE small car to get in NA w/out a doubt.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought my first Mazda in 1978, a Mazda GLC. Extremely underpowered but tremendous handling car. I did a lot of autocross back then and routinely beat many cars in my class that had superior straight line speed. Mazdas in general handle better than any other car in their respective class.

I have owned many Mazdas since the GLC; B2000 truck, 323, MPV, several 626's, and currently own a 6s, and a 3s. I have never had do anything other than routine maintenance on any of my Mazdas and drove most to close to or over 100,000 miles.

Since I purchased my 3s a couple of weeks ago, I have decided to sell my 6, just not nearly as fun to drive as the 3.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First truck was a 87 Mazda B2000. That was also the truck that my Dad taught me how to drive a manuel transmission on. Learned to drive a manuel before an auto. Had manuels ever since.
The truck was very reliable. Never had to have a service done that other than the normal stuff, but I did that myself. I will be excited to get another Mazda but cautious on the Ford influence since I am not a Ford man.

Jim

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My family currently owns a 2000 Mazda MPV.

There has been no problems to speak of as of yet. And its out of its warranty period too :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your replies.. i checked out edmunds.. seems mazda's get pretty high consumer ratings.. and they just get better with the later years than in the past.. i can tell mazda's really going to reshape its name.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Here's something that should tip ya off:

Mazda is the only japanese car company (That I know of, someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that has 4-wheel disk brakes on their base base model car. The Canadian GX trim gets 4-wheel disk brakes, unheard of on any other base model car that I know of.

Well, there's Subaru too ;)

Anyways, Mazda is on a roll. They're really putting "zoom-zoom" into their cars now. Problems have been very few, especially compared to the list of recalls with Nissan's lineup.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
This is my first mazda (my MZ6) and it convinced me to change from being a Chrysler loyalist. My family now owns 3 Ford's out of 4 cars (the 4th being my brothers 98 Jetta GL).

·
Registered
947 Posts
I never really liked Mazdas. Honda was my top choice, followed by Toyota. Mazda just didn't do anything special. Their cars weren't in the same league as Honda or Toyota in terms of reliability or quality. Their main-stream cars weren't that great. Even the Miata suffered from a weak engine and mid-life-crisis image.

Overall, I found little reason to ever look at a mazda seriously.

The 6 was the first car to change all that, but after a test drive I quickly decided that it just didn't bring everything together the way I expected. The interior didn't feel upscale enough, the center stack looks cheap, and the engine felt weak below 3K.

The 3, however, is a very tightly put-together package. The exterior looks awesome, the interior is upscale, and the hatchback is very practical. The reliability should not be noticeably worse than a Honda/Toyota and build quality appears to be excellent.

That's why I bought one - it's the first Mazda where everything fits.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Loyal Mazda owner

I have a 91 Protege with 190,000 miles on it, purchased new, that will probably get replaced by a Mazda 3 once the Winter is over. The old first generation Protege is a great car, probably one of the most underrated cars ever. Mine still has the original clutch and the engine is going strong. The only thing replaced beyond tires, brakes, exhaust, etc. were a front wheel bearing and a brake cylinder. Also, despite the age of the car there are no annoying squeaks and rattles. The new 3 appears to be even tighter and have better build quality, so I am hoping for a minimum of squeaks and rattles as times passes.

I also had a Miata, which was also a great car, but got smaller and buzzier as I got older and fatter amd got replaced by something bigger and more comfortable.

From my experience with Mazdas I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. There was a problem with the early 90s 626 and the automatic transmission in that car, but who wants an auto anyway? There was also a problem with the earliest 1990 Miata and the first of the second generation Miatas with the engine, but certainly not as bad as Toyota's sludge problem with their V6 or Honda's problem with the automatic transmission in the Odyssey and everybody talks about how Honda and Toyota have such good reliability and build quality.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah I think anyone citing that Mazda has a legacy of any type for unreliablity is kidding themselves or grossly mis-informed. Every manufacturer (yes even Honda) has issues with their cars time to time. It can't be said that Mazda has multiple regular issues with all their cars, one problem here or there with different models over 10 years is proof enough that they build good quality cars.

Heck just check the body panel and interior fit and finish, if you've had a North American car in the past 10 years you'll gasp in amazement that they can get those panels that close! ;)

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
This is my 3rd mazda-I've had a protege, a 626, and now my 6. No problems, in fact my 12 yr old 626 had fewer problems than my 3 yr old elantra.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mazda reliability

My family has had a multitude of Mazda automobiles. All of which have been extremely reliable. My first car was a handed down 626 which went 215,000 miles. I'm on the verge of replacing my 93 protege with a 3. The protege has done 243,000 miles on one clutch and had little to no problems outside of regular maintenance. We've also had an MPV, a glc, a 1984 626 which also went over 200,000 miles in our posession.

No need to worry Mazda's reliability is on par with Toyota and Honda, they also have a longer warranty. Also, final assembly of the 3 is in Japan. Definitely a good thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i trying to get my family into mazda. right now i have a 6 and i'm thinking of trading it cause i want a small and a more fuel efficient car however my dad wants it LOL and i will probably get his car a 98 honda accord and thinking of trading it in to get a 3 :twisted:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm essentially a Honda guy who's slowly converting to Mazda. Like LeeLee, most of the cars we've owned has been either H or T & they have been very reliable. The one thing that has kept us from considering a Mazda during the 90's was the supposedly high cost of replacement parts (those who have owned Mazdas during this period please let me know if this is true or not). According to my mechanic it was 2-3 times the cost of a comparable Honda/Toyota part, & for some components, no aftermarket parts are available. But when we were shopping for a minivan a couple of years ago, we decided to take the plunge & pick the MPV; it was an obvious choice for us since it had the best features at the time & we didn't need the extra space of the Odyssey, & like the 3, it was also assembled in Japan. So far, we've been very happy with the MPV, which is one of the reasons I'm now considering the 3. Some people have concerns that Mazda is essentially Ford, but I think you really need to examine the particular vehicle carefully, for example, the MPV is a Mazda designed vechicle with a Ford engine (& a reliable one too), & the 3 is also a Mazda but with a Ford/Volvo/Mazda chassis. The Tribute, I'm not too sure about, but just from sitting in it, it looks more like a Ford with Mazda clothes (those who know please correct me if I'm wrong).

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ya know, so what if it is a Ford. The reason we dispise Ford is because they build lousy cars. But if Ford built nice cars like the Mazda3, I wouldn't have a problem with owning one.

Heck, I don't mind owning a Corvette, or recommending Cadillac to someone who is in that target market. Certainly the Oldsmobile Intrigue was one of my favorite rental cars to get. And I did conteplate the possibility of finding a mid 90's Impalla SS...

There is nothing inherently wrong with Ford, GM or DiamlerChrylser that couldn't be fixed by producing high quality automobiles that people want to buy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
LeeLee said:
Ya know, so what if it is a Ford. The reason we dispise Ford is because they build lousy cars. But if Ford built nice cars like the Mazda3, I wouldn't have a problem with owning one.
I agree, but like you said, Ford has a reputation for building/assembling cars with less than stellar craftsmanship compared to the imports. And if the Tribute is essentially an Escape, than that's what you are getting. Btw, I not saying that the Tribute/Escape is poor quality either, because I really have no info on that.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well lets not pick on Ford here, pretty much any North American manufacturer has a bevy of piss poorly built cars and trucks under their belt.

I've owned many Fords (I'm a Ford guy through and through so going to Mazda wasn't a concern for me) and never had what I thought was out of the ordinary problems with those cars that wasn't brought on by my or a previous owners stupidity. I had an issue with my 89 GT back in the day that took forever to work out but other than that the rest of my Ford ownership has been quite happy. I will admit though that most of those 80's and 90's vehicles by and large weren't built as well as my Mazda is but I like to think that everyone, even the Japanese builders has gotten better and better over the past two decades. I do know for sure that Ford has a pretty kick ass lineup of cars coming for the 05 model year. I'm eyeing up my fourth Mustang for a 2005/2006 purchase now. ;D

·
Registered
481 Posts
i've always been a VW guy... im now on my 3rd Mazda (2001 Protege ES, 2002 Protege5, 2004 Mazda3 Sport GT) after getting rid of my lemon 99 Golf GLS TDI. I still love VWs but unfortunately I do not wish to deal with either dealership in this city in any way shape or form. So i turned to Mazda, the dealership has been great, my salesman has been the same guy since the first car and well Mazdas are fun to drive and they appeal to my fringe/sporty side. I don't like everyday bland cars, something unique (even slightly) is where i look and I love what Mazda is doing with themselves now, definitely the right direction. Keep it up Mazda and you will keep me as a customer!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts