Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago i finally got my car lowered on mazdaspeed accessory springs, installation went smooth but my concern is that the car seems way too low for mazdaspeed springs... I bought the springs pre-owned could that be why?

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
They look right to me, but pre-owned springs are usually already broken in/compressed more than brand new.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
[quote author=skHTE link=topic=134697.msg2896211#msg2896211 date=1233169111]
Two days ago i finally got my car lowered on mazdaspeed accessory springs, installation went smooth but my concern is that the car seems way too low for mazdaspeed springs... I bought the springs pre-owned could that be why?

[/quote]

I believe the drop for accessory mazdaspeed springs is about 1.2 or 1.5 drop. Nice drop but way too low for me especially when snow starts coming down.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh ok thank you for the quick responce everyone. I was a bit worried because people have been telling me its only about an inch and a quater drop so when i finally put my springs on i was a bit worried. But its good to know thats how its suppose to be.

Now I did this install with two of my friends and they keep telling me that I do not need an allignment.... but from the numerous threads that I have read here everyone says that an allignment has to be done once the suspension is played with. They tell me that my car doent pull to the right or left, my wheel is centered etc... I dunno I think I will get an allignment for the peace of mind.

My last concern is of course the factory shock absorbers, now I know many people have ran factory shocks for 3 years or so on the pro kit springs or mazdaspeed. I am curious if I will have such luck lol, I don't drive my car hard at all, I never really have passengers in the car and if I do its just one. My car is an 08 and has 24k miles.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
You DO need an alignment anytime you disturb the suspension. It may track straight but your toe may be off etc. In an effort to have even tire wear, get an alignment.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
If you drive like you claim they will last a while. As for your alignment, I'd do for the sake of conserving tire tread. Even if your car doesn't pull, it wouldn't hurt to get an alignment done. If you didn't get camber links installed (imo not that important for pro-kit/ms springs) you should definitely get an alignment.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Im not an expert but everyone that I have encountered say you must get an alignment once you drop below 1in. Camber links are definitely +1.

But the ride looks great...More pics please :)

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
looks normal. i have the same springs with the mazdaspeed shocks too. it is really low. i cant fit my floor jack under the car... have to drive on a block of wood or something. never had any problems with speed bumps though, just drive slow.

also +1 on alignment.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok will get the alignment done tomorrow also no i dont have the camber links installed. Wish I did but the guy that i bought the springs wasnt selling them. Tomorrow is going to be a nice day so after a car wash i will take some pictures.

·
Registered
435 Posts
[quote author=skHTE link=topic=134697.msg2896370#msg2896370 date=1233172730]

Now I did this install with two of my friends and they keep telling me that I do not need an allignment.... but from the numerous threads that I have read here everyone says that an allignment has to be done once the suspension is played with. They tell me that my car doent pull to the right or left, my wheel is centered etc... I dunno I think I will get an allignment for the peace of mind.

[/quote]

that is ill advised. when a car is lowered it causes toe in. your car may not pull and the wheel may be centered but why would you lower a car with the intent to have raised levels of handling then not have a simply alignment performed..........seems counter productive and cheap.

·
Registered
739 Posts
[quote author=classicaddict link=topic=134697.msg2899456#msg2899456 date=1233282291]

[/quote]

that is ill advised. when a car is lowered it causes toe in. your car may not pull and the wheel may be centered but why would you lower a car with the intent to have raised levels of handling then not have a simply alignment performed..........seems counter productive and cheap.
[/quote]Thats funny my car went toe out when I lowered it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote author=classicaddict link=topic=134697.msg2899456#msg2899456 date=1233282291]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I never said that I would not get an alignment, i just wanted some opinions from other members. Car is getting aligned tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ya, your toe is most likely out of whack, happens with the 3 when they're lowered, and toe is what eats tires.

As for camber, the allowed negative camber on the 3 is pretty generous, most likely you'll still be within spec.

TIM

·
Registered
435 Posts
[quote author=Candy Blue link=topic=134697.msg2899611#msg2899611 date=1233285688]

[/quote]

[/quote]Thats funny my car went toe out when I lowered it.
[/quote]

i don't see how that's possible.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today i had the intentions of getting my car aligned, so i went to a number of shops (mavis, firestone, monroe, and meinekee) and all of them told me that either my car is too low to get up on the ramp or I need the rear camber links..... Ugh.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts