Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the main difference?

i have a rear upper strut in my VR6 in combination with my front strut it really helped me turn flat.

but what is the main difference inbetween the 2.
i was looking here:
http://corksport.com/store/category/6ak4/axe-suspension_misc.html

sort of looking for a 200 less handling mod.

and since i am gonna buy their Urethane Rear Engine Mount Insert Set i was looking for something else to combine shipping with.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Re: Lower tie bar vs sway bar!?

Lower tie bars tie both side of the car togeather which permits less flex around turns...
Sway bars permit the car to stay "flatter" thru turns (no leaning).

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

Tie bars are the last thing I would do. A sway bar would be much more helpful in gaining performance.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts

A sway bar is actually part of the suspension, a tie bar or strut bar is simply a reinforcement of the car's chasis making it stiffer. A tie bar or strut bar will reduce the flex of the chasis during flexing moments (hitting a bump, cornering hard, etc). A sway bar reduces the roll of the car when you corner and also changes the weight transfer between the axles.

A strut or tie bar is unlikely to aid much at all in smooth pavement cornering unless your chasis is very flexible to begin with...on bumpy roads it is likely to help...a lot if you have a flexible chasis. A sway bar can help anytime you turn...of course it will only help if it is properly matched to the rest of the suspension...just like any suspension upgrade.
-Matt

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

alright!

well i am gonna ask to lock this thread and start a new one!
thanks for the info!

:locked:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts