Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I want to say that I LOVE my new MS3. And I think I love the seats too. But I've been plagued by a lower back pain for nearly two weeks now and I can't figure it out. Today, on the ride into work, I realized for the first time that my back really hurts when I exited the car.

I think the stock seats look fabulous and seem to offer a world of support. But perhaps the lower lumbar region is poorly shaped to provide good lower back arch support. Has anybody else noticed a persistent lower back ache since buying/driving the MS3?

So you know, I am not a frequent complainer. And I'm 6' tall weighing 180 lbs so I'm not out of shape. I exercise frequently.

I wouldn't be posting this question on a whim. I simply just realized that my aches seem to correlate well with how long I've owned this car. I would like to hear from any other "old geezers" driving a MS3 if you've noticed the same thing.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm 6'1" 225 and I don't have any problems.

Make sure you adjust the lumbar support (small lever on left side) so it supports your lower back to the desired degree.

Any car is tiresome for me on extended drives : parents live 650km from me so when I arrive where they live, I feel stamped in the seat.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
yeah i cant stay in the car too long.

You could always get those lumbar support things for your seats.

Oh yeah just for fun, im 6' and 130-135 pounds i think. haha! (But i workout like 3 times a week)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=Boost Addict link=topic=70533.msg1233991#msg1233991 date=1172520440]

the back pain is due to the zoom-zoom factor. When you stomp the pedal, it mashes your back against the seat... go easy on the throttle and your back will feel better.

[/quote]

I wish it was that simple. But, unfortunately, I got my MS3 after selling my '05 Subaru Legacy GT with nearly 400-wheel horsepower. So it went ZOOM-ZOOM pretty darn well indeed. And the seats felt great and zero back pain.

[quote author=P5_2_MS3 link=topic=70533.msg1234090#msg1234090 date=1172521500]

I can check myself in 3 weeks or so, but I was just wondering... Is the lumbar adjustable?

[/quote]

Yeah, it does have the lumbar adjustment lever on the left side of the seat. But like so many others that i've messed around with, they feel awful sloppy. Frankly, I'm not certain it retains the same position when you exit and re-enter the seat. It feels different every time. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=70533.msg1234283#msg1234283 date=1172525393]
[quote author=Boost Addict link=topic=70533.msg1233991#msg1233991 date=1172520440]

the back pain is due to the zoom-zoom factor. When you stomp the pedal, it mashes your back against the seat... go easy on the throttle and your back will feel better.

[/quote]

I wish it was that simple. But, unfortunately, I got my MS3 after selling my '05 Subaru Legacy GT with nearly 400-wheel horsepower. So it went ZOOM-ZOOM pretty darn well indeed. And the seats felt great and zero back pain.

I'm surprised....a lot of people complained about the seats in the legacy Gt. I didn't have any issues with them though.

[quote author=P5_2_MS3 link=topic=70533.msg1234090#msg1234090 date=1172521500]

I can check myself in 3 weeks or so, but I was just wondering... Is the lumbar adjustable?

[/quote]

Yeah, it does have the lumbar adjustment lever on the left side of the seat. But like so many others that i've messed around with, they feel awful sloppy. Frankly, I'm not certain it retains the same position when you exit and re-enter the seat. It feels different every time. Oh well.

[/quote]

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^^^^^

why did you quote my whole post with no comment? :sarc: :violinbash: :whistle:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I drove the car from Virginia to Florida and back. Both on my way there and coming back, half way through the trip I started feeling a pinch on my lower back and it got worse the more I drove. Between South Carolina and Tampa I had to stop at least four times to stretch myself because the pain was unbearable...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^^^

glad to know that I'm not crazy. I would appreciate if anybody else that feels the stock MS3 seats could be causing them lower back pain, that they post it up here.

I'm not looking for a class-action suit or any crap like that. Just trying to figure out if Mazda might have a legitimate issue to concern themselves about.

In the meantime, I do plan to stop by the auto parts store to see if they sell a foam pad or something that I can strap into the seat. I don't want it to look ghetto, but I don't think that I can tolerate the aches & pains much longer either. I mean I never had to deal with it before.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I didn't find the MS3 seat comfortable, but I am not comfortable in most car seats.  Too much lumbar support, even at the lowest setting.  I've already modified my driver's seat to fit better and to tighten the side bolsters, which I've done on my previous two cars as well.  It's a lot of trouble, though, to get a custom fit. However, I've driven over 12 hours straight (2 quick stops for gas) without discomfort.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Im 5'7" and 155pounds. The bottom part of my back doesnt contact the seat at all. Im not sure if anyones does.

I only get pains from an hour or more on the highway. Brisk acceleration is a big part of it. Ill have to grab one of those lumbar support pillows.

·
Registered
250 Posts
So far I have not had any back pains in this car. I really like the way these seats feel as I have been able to find a comfortable driving position. I am 5"7" and weigh 160 lbs for the record. Lets face it they can't design seats to fit every body style and medical history.

That being said I have yet to take this car on a long drive to find out if the fatigue factor sets in. In the past I have had a history of back problems on long drives in various cars where I need to keep stopping to stretch out.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stopped at Pep Boys last night and found what i think is a (nearly) perfect solution. Its a lower lumbar support cushion. I drove to work today with it and it felt much, much more supportive on my lower spine. I noticed it especially during the (obvious) clutching and shifting. The pivot points or center of movement must hinge on a lower section of my back than my Legacy GT did.

anyways, I just need to make a quick modification to this cushion to cut off the lateral supports (thick wings) on the sides and keep the central support. If it looks halfway decent once I'm finished with it, I'll snap a pic and post it up. Planning to use some velcro strips to secure it in place.

I know this sounds cabbie or ricey, but I'm telling you I have no doubt now that the lack of lower back support in the MS3 seats is the culprit. Just look again closely at the central portion of the seats. The gray fabric section is flat as a pancake. and the lumbar support feels like a paddle poking me in the back.

Don't equate me with a MS3 hater. I absolutely LOVE my new car. Heck I've spent over $1,000 bucks on mods already in the first month of ownership! And I have my eyes on about $2,000 more worth of goodies still. I just want to be as physically happy as I am mentally happy! :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
my back hurt when i got out of bed this morning, oh wait... this is for the mazdaspeed. i don't have one :(
i wish i could have mazdaspeed pain too... 8)

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=70533.msg1236017#msg1236017 date=1172592767]
Stopped at Pep Boys last night and found what i think is a (nearly) perfect solution. Its a lower lumbar support cushion. I drove to work today with it and it felt much, much more supportive on my lower spine. I noticed it especially during the (obvious) clutching and shifting. The pivot points or center of movement must hinge on a lower section of my back than my Legacy GT did.

anyways, I just need to make a quick modification to this cushion to cut off the lateral supports (thick wings) on the sides and keep the central support. If it looks halfway decent once I'm finished with it, I'll snap a pic and post it up. Planning to use some velcro strips to secure it in place.

I know this sounds cabbie or ricey, but I'm telling you I have no doubt now that the lack of lower back support in the MS3 seats is the culprit. Just look again closely at the central portion of the seats. The gray fabric section is flat as a pancake. and the lumbar support feels like a paddle poking me in the back.

Don't equate me with a MS3 hater. I absolutely LOVE my new car. Heck I've spent over $1,000 bucks on mods already in the first month of ownership! And I have my eyes on about $2,000 more worth of goodies still. I just want to be as physically happy as I am mentally happy! :lol:
[/quote]

you dont have to keep defending yourself... and fuck if people think its CABBIE or RICEY... who cares? How many people actually LOOK at your seat? You sit in it, and you drive the car. Nobody will give a shit. besides, its not really a MOD, or something you tweaked and is unfixable. Its a piece of support you put there when you drive... people should have the right to be comfortable, dont you think?

Just dont zoom-zoom too much, youll get pains again ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't really like the seats either. My back gets sore when driving the car too. I am 6' and 145 pounds. Like other people have said, the lumbar support is pretty crappy. I don't even use it because the lowest setting is too much. I think the seats need more micro adjustability. I feel a little cramped with my current seat position. If I move it back just one click, it's too far back. I have my steering wheel extended all the way out too. Same with the backrest, if I move it one click back it's too far. I wish there was an in between. The clicks are too far apart. I'm glad to see I'm not alone on being a little uncomfortable. I thought about getting a Recaro or Corbeau, but to hell with that.

·
Registered
335 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=70533.msg1236017#msg1236017 date=1172592767]
I'm telling you I have no doubt now that the lack of lower back support in the MS3 seats is the culprit.  Just look again closely at the central portion of the seats.  The gray fabric section is flat as a pancake.  and the lumbar support feels like a paddle poking me in the back. 

[/quote]

The mods to my seat include the addition of a foam wedge at the very bottom of the seatback, which may be doing the same thing.  Mine is under the seat cover, though, so you don't see it.  This wedge of foam is what contacts my lower back/butt and prevents my butt from moving backwards when braking and clutching, forcing my lumbar area to bend.  Less stress on the back and better control on the track.

Glad you found a solution.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cool. never thought about trying to put my solution under the stock seat cover. I'll look more closely at how that can be done. Is there an obvious seam or zipper or something that allows the seat cover to be lifted up? its probably obvious.....I've just never looked close enough to find out. 8)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts