Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone :)

I'm having an issue with a sound that I believe is coming from one or two of my wheels. I purchased the 2005 Mazda 3 's' about two months ago and after a week or so I noticed a very low frequency rumble-like noise coming from somewhere in the rear of the vehicle--most noticeable at constant speed on the highway. It was only slightly noticeable and very consistent so I thought maybe it was just a slightly louder vehicle. However, yesterday, I rotated the tires from back to front and the noise switched as well from the back to the front. So, I'm convinced that it has to do with the wheels/tires.
Upon visual inspection, the front tires have slightly more tread remaining than the rear tires, but I don't think that is the cause of the noise. The tread is not knobby by any means, so I don't think that is a probably cause. I do not notice any deformaties or irregularities in the shape or size of the wheels or tires. By the way, there is not really any vibration with this rumble noise--maybe slightly if any at all; I took the car on a 16-hour round trip 4 weeks ago, and the noise was there but it never did anything to concern me. This noise just took on a different meaning for me when it noticeably switched after I rotated the wheels.

Does anybody have experience with an issue like this or have any suggestions. What might be a good way to further investigate without having to pay someone else to do it for me?

Thank you much!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I was gonna say maybe a wheel bearing but since you rotated and the noise followed, thats out of the question... are they balanced?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
air pressure ok?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the tire pressure is checked and good. The previous owner gave me the collection of invoices of all the maintenance that he had done on the car in the three years that he owned it, and the invoice for the tires showed that they were balanced and aligned. So, I'm not sure what the problem may be. I read on a different forum that if tires aren't aligned properly then they can wear in a poor fashion that will cause noise for the rest of the tire's life. I don't know if that might be the issue.

Does anybody have any suggestions about a trustworthy and cost effective way to have it looked at, and not just get talked into buying all new tires if that is not necessary. I'll do so if it is necessary, but I don't want to be told that I need to replace tires if that's really not the problem.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Well I say jack the car up and take the tires off and see if you notice any uneven tread patterns. Also it is possible for the weight to fall off (not likely unless curbed or something, but possible), but I would recommend you take the tires off and look at them before you bring it anywhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gave them a brief look over when I rotated them earlier this week, but it wasn't all that in-depth. So, I think I'll take em off and look into it again this weekend. We'll see if I find anything.

Thank you for the suggestions and input.

Take care!

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
move one of the front tires to the rear. if it goes back to the rear, you've found the bad one.
if it doesn't, repeat with the other side.
sometimes tires can look fine but have a broken belt or bad inside but i would think you'd feel that in the steering wheel and not just hear it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts