Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, long story short we had some fresh snow, I found a new housing development with paved roads but no houses and decided to have some fun. On my third turn drifting around the corner (I used the handbrake to start the slide only) I heard a really loud (whistling/squealing) noise that came from the front left-ish of my car. "Ok" I said to myself, "Nothing big, just some water on the brakes, made it squeal." So I did a few more corners, wiped out once or twice, nothing big on the nice slick ice/snow. But a minute or two later I heard it again, this time I noticed I was really sideways, about 45-60 degrees from straight, and the noise occurred again(without braking).

Now, what I am wondering is if it was the tire rubbing, my power steering, my brakes (It did not sound like my usual brake squeal). I also just had my steering fluid changed (because it smelt faintly burnt), along with my ATF and coolant (48K service after all).

What do you people think?

Thanks,
Devon

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
still, even if you do irregular stuff, your car shouldnt act too funny i dont think

i was drifting around some snow too ^^ and i did ebrake, and i got pretty sideways, but i dont think i heard any whistling noise... hmm. i only got 8000 miles on my car.

you got mods?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, bone stock. Well, we'll see if it happens during normal driving. I did a check and there didn't appear to be any tire damage. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has happened twice, during normal driving. I am becoming afraid that it may be my tranny, I got it flushed and filled Saturday. Sunday night I took a drive back to Toronto from Kitchener, when the two noises occured again. The loudest one was just after a cold start (it was -8 celcius outside), it was also idling really rough in reverse after the cold start. I took a right turn when it shifted, it whistled, noise came from the same spot. I was a little freaked so I stopped and got some MotorMaster ATF and added about a quarter of the bottle to it. After it was warm it still read the same level... but it was idling a little smoother and there was no noise/roughness when it was in reverse. I stopped at a service station on the way and checked the level again (as well as to clean some snow that was stuck to the inside of my tires). When I started off again it happened on the on ramp during a shift, but it was barely audible this time.

I am trying to contact the shop I got it done at to see what type of fluid they used, but I am at work, in a different city :p When I get home from work I am going to check underneath, make sure there are no leaks and the drain plug is bolted tight and the ATF is still full.

Any more thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so a reply to my previous topic.

Well, still happens. Only when it is cold. The colder it is, the longer it happens for. Typically only happens once or twice. It still occurs during the 1-2 shift. It also occurs when I apply the brake but is more likely to happen if the ABS goes off. Brakes have been replaced. The lines were bled when I changed them to make sure no air was in them. Again this will only happen once or twice after sitting for long periods in the cold.

So...
Any ideas?

Devon

·
Registered
19 Posts
ABS will reduce pressure on the rotor which might put it in that "sweet spot" for that squealing that our mazda's are so famous for. Another potential problem is a wheel bearing, although with your miles i would hope not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts