Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some digging around about this and didn't come up with anything. This is kind of a re-occurring issue, it doesn't happen all the time, but it has happened more than once. Probably every 3rd or 4th time I'm in the car. It seems to be directly related to cold temperatures. Anyways, the issue at hand is when I put my key in the ignition and turn it to the on position before I even crank the motor, I hear a very loud bang come from the dashboard. I mean, it is loud. You can even feel it in the steering wheel. It seriously is like someone wearing army boots just mule kicked the inside of my dashboard. And as far as I know, I have no angry midgets living in my car, so we can rule that option out.

It kind of sounds like the blend door for the heater is messed up, because the noise seems to be coming from the defroster vents. I just find it odd because I always have my climate controls turned off when I park, but I guess that doesn't really matter.

I'm not terribly concerned about it because both my heater and defroster still work fine. I'm not really in the mood to tear my entire dashboard out of the car just to investigate the heating system. Nor do I really feel like taking my car to the dealer just to get the "functioning normally within operational specs" speech. I know something ain't right, because it's been cold before and never done this.

Anyone else run into something like this?

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
i had the same problem when it was -15F outside...
it was from the HEATING/COOLING FAN.... when u turn the fan off on 0 position.. noise goes away

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I think this problem actually is something to concern myself with now. I can smell antifreeze in the car now, and the passenger side floorboard seemed to be a bit damp this evening. Think I might have a pinprick hole in the heatercore.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah dude, no rats here. I live in the ghetto, we got monster sized cockroaches! Those little bastards beat up on my cat!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts