Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I broke it by backing into something... the light housing for the rear licence plate lamp is hanging loosely on its wires, and the overhang over the license plate has a hole running the length of the plate. Clearly there's supposed to be some piece there that the lamp housing fits into. Could somebody with a hatch look under that overhang and tell me what kind of piece I'm missing there? Is it plastic or metal, for instance?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=ebhcr link=topic=71912.msg1265992#msg1265992 date=1173835930]
Uh, could you take a picture for comparison?
[/quote]

OK...

Damn, now I see that the mounting holes are torn out on the left side.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean there isn't any other piece that fills in the hole between the lamp positions?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
If you're talking about the large gap that runs the full length of the license plate where the bulb assembly clips onto...then no, nothing goes there. It's just a meaningless void. You'll see I think 4 more holes, 2 on the left and 2 on the right of the bulb assembly where you can actually place it to the left or the right. I've thought about buying the assembly and socket from mazda and splicing into the existing wires and having 2 assemblies like the hatch's have.

**I felt that I needed to help out a fellow "extour" at 10:14pm lol**

I hope this is what you are talking about! The pics provided show the void and the assembly in the center, and how you can move it left or right to the other holes

·
Registered
264 Posts
My '07 Hatch came with two license plate lamps.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Great pics Zodiac! I need to check to see if the hatch has the center two holes for the light assembly in addition to the 2 pairs on either side! And it looks like you have a WHP-LED or a 1W LED in there?

extour, sorry about the light. You might try to make some kind of bracket to hold the assembly back in place, or just duct tape it down somehow so the tape doesn't block the light?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I press-fitted the right hand light back in place, but I don't know how well it will stay, and the left one is missing the plastic cover over the bulb...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
[quote author=extour link=topic=71912.msg1269605#msg1269605 date=1173986276]
I press-fitted the right hand light back in place, but I don't know how well it will stay, and the left one is missing the plastic cover over the bulb...
[/quote]

Is the light output too bright or focused? If not, I don't think not getting another would be a big deal, I'd think only a splash to the rear can cause problems.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
[quote author=kendalf link=topic=71912.msg1268472#msg1268472 date=1173932190]
Great pics Zodiac! I need to check to see if the hatch has the center two holes for the light assembly in addition to the 2 pairs on either side! And it looks like you have a WHP-LED or a 1W LED in there?

extour, sorry about the light. You might try to make some kind of bracket to hold the assembly back in place, or just duct tape it down somehow so the tape doesn't block the light?
[/quote]

Yep 1w from autolumination.com

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
[quote author=Zodiac link=topic=71912.msg1268364#msg1268364 date=1173928684]
If you're talking about the large gap that runs the full length of the license plate where the bulb assembly clips onto...then no, nothing goes there. It's just a meaningless void. You'll see I think 4 more holes, 2 on the left and 2 on the right of the bulb assembly where you can actually place it to the left or the right. I've thought about buying the assembly and socket from mazda and splicing into the existing wires and having 2 assemblies like the hatch's have.

**I felt that I needed to help out a fellow "extour" at 10:14pm lol**

I hope this is what you are talking about! The pics provided show the void and the assembly in the center, and how you can move it left or right to the other holes

[/quote]

Nice picture, really interesting how they designed it. Now I'm wondering why they didn't provide two lights for the sedans.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Ill probably do that 2nd license plate assembly mod sometime next year....I've got a credit card and a turbo fund to collect. So little things will be set to the side unless a really good price comes around.

·
Registered
439 Posts
what gets my interest in those pics is that there are what appear to be four or six mounting holes for something, and that something may be something other than license plate lights. i wonder if the euro market has some other bezel or trim piece that fits in that void and mounts to some or all of those holes? maybe a euro license plate frame? can we get some of the euro mazda3 owners to chime in on this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
[quote author=extour link=topic=71912.msg1265962#msg1265962 date=1173835280]
I guess I broke it by backing into something... the light housing for the rear licence plate lamp is hanging loosely on its wires, and the overhang over the license plate has a hole running the length of the plate. Clearly there's supposed to be some piece there that the lamp housing fits into. Could somebody with a hatch look under that overhang and tell me what kind of piece I'm missing there? Is it plastic or metal, for instance?
[/quote]

Same thing just happened to my car. The liense plate ic dark, but the ground underneath the trunk is completely lit up :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts