Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
if you don't have any transponder keys then you'll need:
-new keys $18 ea. cut and shipped to your door from onlinemazdaparts.com (click the flip key thread in my sig)
-the dealer to plug into your computer and clear the previous keys out of the system before reprogramming it to accept the new keys

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
When you do get new keys cut and programmed, get 3. It sounds like you're prone to loosing keys, and if you have two keys left you can do the self-programming feature and not have to mess with the dealer. Once you get down to one key you can't self-program. Once you get down to no keys you can't drive home...

Andrew Beard

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was sad cuz I really don't know where the key went. I swear I buckled it down to my belt thingy and then bam im leaving and its gone and Im there looking for 3 hours. and just gave up and sat in the street lookin at the car cuz I was not going to leave it. Especially just putting the exhaust on =S. I hate to tow it again cuz it seriosly couldn't get on the lift without some 2x4 and even then my bumper was eating the floor, I just wanted to cry =(

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
no, you don't need the car to get new key.
Your dealership should be able to cut new keys for you, and have a device to program them with the original info.
Ensure you bring documentation that you own the car and some photo ID.

At least that is the way it works in Canada. My dealership doesn't need the car to program the keys.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=bossboy link=topic=67928.msg1171552#msg1171552 date=1169910059]
no, you don't need the car to get new key.
Your dealership should be able to cut new keys for you, and have a device to program them with the original info.
Ensure you bring documentation that you own the car and some photo ID.

At least that is the way it works in Canada. My dealership doesn't need the car to program the keys.
[/quote]

In the US this is absolutely false. If you don't have two keys to self-program with you need to bring the car to the dealer.

The problem is that the keys aren't programmed to work with the car. The car is programmed to accept they keys. To program the car to accept the keys, they need the car. 'nuff said.

Andrew Beard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts