Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont post much but love reading them, but I have a problem. LAst night I was driving home from work and noticed a slight tick, I could not hear it with the windows up so I thought it was another car. However after getting closer to home the noise got louder, when I got home it was BAD, (I only drove about 10 miles after verifying the noise) I shut off the car and checked the oil (did not have a low pressure light so I didn't think it was oil) and found it 2 quarts low!!!! I have the stealer do all the service to it because so far they are good, and it just got the 30,000 a few months ago and as far as I know there has never been an issue with my oil level. The stupid thing is I used to check the oil but the car never lost any so I quit. Monday I will be calling the dealer and getting it towed. Has anyone else had this problem? I dont know where the oil went there is none under the car, and none in the radiator overflow so I'm lost. This should be covered under the warranty so I'm not really worried about that just puzzled about what happened.

Thanks for the great reading material and the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So today I took the car to the dealer (who also did the servicing), they pulled it in for 5 min and then came back out. I asked the tech who had looked at it and he said that they would be replacing the motor. I asked him about the oil and he said that it looked like it had gone out the exhaust because there was alot of soot/deposits in the tail pipe. Also in the 2-3 min the car ran after adding the 2 quarts of oil it lost almost 1 quart!!! He then said that sometimes it just happens. Oh well 2-3 weeks and a new motor, a Toyota Corrola for a rental till then, could be worse.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
ouchie, sorry to hear about your misfortune, at least they aren't giving you any crap about it (like some dealers have), and you're getting a new motor, just break it in properly and you should be good to go! Let us know how the whole process goes, and how well the service dept handles it, these types of forums help keep honest dealers in business and put dishonest dealers out of business!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Blown engines are common for those that really abuse the engine. Lots of autocrossing and road racing will make the engine more prone to the engine problems. Sleeping and CarbonFire both took their cars aggressively through some canyons and shortly after both of them had blown engines... hehe I guess in your case, if you arn't an agressive driver, then it was perhaps a defective part of the engine.

It's just sad that I hear so many stories like this and it sort of gets me nervous and afraid to push the car.

Glad to hear it's all under warranty though.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=72292.msg1277202#msg1277202 date=1174343731]
Blown engines are common for those that really abuse the engine. Lots of autocrossing and road racing will make the engine more prone to the engine problems.
[/quote]

not to go too far off topic, but autocross and road racing place very different demands on the engine, road racing being a LOT harder on it. I've autocrossed my car ever since I got it and had no problems, and neither have the other 2 3's who autocross regularly with me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer called me back today (the service gal has been on leave since last wednsday due to a death in the family) and she said that the car was done!!! 1 Week only, she also said that they had used a new lokg block too!!! I have had no problems with this dealer they are great, I get all my service through them just in case and they have always treated me good too!!! If anyone lives in the Bremerton Washinton area and needs a good dealer then go to Parr Ford Mazda near auto center way they are great. Also I dont really race the car but I sometimes push it hard so I hope it was just a fluke, I will break it in good and try to resist the earge to go fast.

ALso a note I dont know if there is one but a good topic may be good/professional dealers in your area so if people are having problems they can look through it and maybe find a better dealer, but there should be no trash talk just good ones.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
glad to hear it was all dealt with properly, congrats on the new engine, break it in properly!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I stated that lots of autoX make an engine more prone to engine problems due to the fact that the engine gets pushed to the limits in low gears in autoX.

Carbonfire autoxed his mazda3 and RIGHT after when he was leaving the parking lot at the event he started to hear a ticking.

I'm not saying AUTOX must cause damage, i'm just saying that there have been cases where it's probably done more harm than good.

If the courses aren't really fast and the driver knows how to control his or her rpms then I bet occasional AUTOXing should be fine.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=72292.msg1294052#msg1294052 date=1175009557]
I stated that lots of autoX make an engine more prone to engine problems due to the fact that the engine gets pushed to the limits in low gears in autoX.

Carbonfire autoxed his mazda3 and RIGHT after when he was leaving the parking lot at the event he started to hear a ticking.

I'm not saying AUTOX must cause damage, i'm just saying that there have been cases where it's probably done more harm than good.

If the courses aren't really fast and the driver knows how to control his or her rpms then I bet occasional AUTOXing should be fine.
[/quote]

its not so much RPM's that kill an engine as it is load, and autocross courses are actually pretty gentle on load, most of the time you are trying to carry speed, not constantly flooring it like drag racing or road racing. I'll grant that any form of racing isn't the best way of guaranteeing a long engine life (gentle driving is), but of the various forms of motorsport, autocross is probably the easiest of them all on your engine. It IS really hard on tires and brakes (although our brakes can take a BEATING), but its actually not that bad on the engine, thats my only point, I see where you're coming from though.

As another datapoint, I've got 2 full seasons of autocross on my engine and it still runs like a top. Tire wear is another story though :( just hit 50k miles, and its about time for me to buy my 4th new set of tires (RSA's, 16k, Dunlop FM901's 15k, sold with about 5k left of life, BFG G-force sports, 20k and counting, but just about dead)

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Autox can sometimes be hard on an engine though. Missed downshifts and down shifts to early can over rev the engine, bouncing off the limiter in gear and hard cornering (it can starve the motor of oil in some cases) can take a toll.

I have auto cross quite a bit and never killed a motor in any car I have done it in. I have also seen people kill cars auto crossing. Sometimes it isn't the auto crossing and it is just that cars time. However, auto crossing certainly puts more strain on a motor then almost any kind of daily driving.

Drag racing (due to punishing launches) and road racing I would agree put a significantly higher stress on a cars motor then auto crossing does.

I actually would say auto cross is pretty gentel on brakes compared to stop and go traffic. 40-75 seconds of hard driving under which you might be braking for a small fraction of it and rarely from speeds more then 40-60mph (and a lot of times less) isn't going to put enough heat into the brakes to do much and the wear level is fairly low as well. In stop and go traffic you could easily do 10-20 60 or even 70mph-0 (or near 0) stops in the course of a few minutes even if the braking is not as 'hard'.
-Matt

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=azazel1024 link=topic=72292.msg1294541#msg1294541 date=1175022962]
Missed downshifts and down shifts to early can over rev the engine,
[/quote]

with the 2.3, theres no need to ever take it out of second gear on most of the courses that our local clubs run here, and since my auto-x car is my daily driver, I refuse to bounce off rev limiters, even if it IS faster. Just as in street driving, if you are smart about it, you can make your car last longer

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=72292.msg1294556#msg1294556 date=1175023235]
[quote author=azazel1024 link=topic=72292.msg1294541#msg1294541 date=1175022962]
Missed downshifts and down shifts to early can over rev the engine,
[/quote]

with the 2.3, theres no need to ever take it out of second gear on most of the courses that our local clubs run here, and since my auto-x car is my daily driver, I refuse to bounce off rev limiters, even if it IS faster. Just as in street driving, if you are smart about it, you can make your car last longer
[/quote]

Agreed. I usually shift to 2nd either just before or just after the first turn and it stays there the entire rest of the run.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree as well. Especially when the car is low on oil or coolant. I think most people go to these event without checking the fluid levels assuming the the car is new so it should not burn any oil.
While 1/2 a quort low on oil won't do any damage during regular driving, it may starve the engine of oil during hard corners, and once that happens it won't be long before you start hearing clicking sounds coming from your engine.

I don't think that driving hard will significantly reduce the engine life, but it has to be done right. the harder you drive the more often you have to check fluids and change them. You can't just auto cross once a week and still change your oil every 7500 miles or even 5000 miles. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Autox can sometimes be hard on an engine though. .... hard cornering (it can starve the motor of oil in some cases) can take a toll.
[/quote]

my engine had been burning oil for whatever reason and i was unaware of it. when i took it in they said it was only about 1/2 quart low. all the hard cornering starved my engine of oil and i developed piston/rod knock. just make sure to check your fluids!

also, i now have a whine from the mtx in second gear only.... anyone know what the heck it is? maybe i should start a new thread.....

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I had the same exact thing with my p5. So many trips to the dealerships and none would even accept it as a problem, and kept bullshitting me, and my warranty was almost up. So I traded it in.

Glad to see you got it taken care of, and in a timely manner.

We should all send out emails to AWR and have them make a baffled oil pan like they had for the proteges. Mazda's oil pickups suck. Some ppl in the protege community actually changed the pickup shape to help out, forgot the details on that though.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
could you send me the contact info for them, because i think that would be a mod i would spend $$$ on first

1 - 17 of 17 Posts