Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey - so I've got a 2021 Mazda3 that I've been driving for 3 months (2.5K miles). Everything's been great with the car until Friday night when I, like an idiot, pulled too far into a curb when I was parking. Didn't realize it until Saturday that this appears to have damaged some sort of covering below my car that is below my front bumper. See the attached pics - I think this might be the engine splash shield but not 100% sure. As you can see in the pic, the part is dangling towards the ground, but doesn't actually touch it (car still drives perfectly fine with the part not scraping the ground). I would like to get this fixed - does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to fix something like this (I wouldn't be able to fix it myself)? I'm wondering if the part can even be patched back up even if not completely fixed?

Automotive tire Hood Tire Automotive lighting Tread
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
131 Posts
Difficult to say without actually looking at it. Either the piece that is hanging down is damaged or it could be the piece it attaches to is damaged. Worse case both pieces are busted.

On the older 3's, these are kind of crappy and come apart all the time, but I've found aftermarket replacements are cheap. Your car is new, so that is probably not the case. If you crawl under there you might see what the story is and go from there. If you can't do this I'm sure a shop will happily fix for you at the going rates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - very much appreciate the replies that were provided. I'll be taking the car to a body shop tomorrow morning. Just a bit more information - when looking at the car again earlier today I'm seeing that there are 3 coverings like that at the front of the car (though don't know enough to know if it's an engine splash shield cover of something else) - 1) one on the passenger side, 2) a larger one in the center, and one of the driver side that is exactly like the one on the passenger side. The damaged covering in the pictures is the one on the drivers side - the passenger and center coverings appear to be perfectly fine. Also if you look at the second picture, there's a plastic piece immediately to the left of the tire. At the bottom of that plastic piece are where there are screws that are supposed to be holding up that bottom covering - those screws are missing (have also attached another pic here where the missing screws are
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire
).

It is what it is at this point - I'll have to take the car into the shop tomorrow morning and see what they say. Mostly disappointed because I was planning on taking the car on a long drive this coming Labor Day weekend and this happened - hoping I can get the car back in time for that if I get it fixed. It's interesting because I have numerous times (rather foolishly I guess) similarly pulled all the way into curbs with previous cars I've owned (Honda Civic and Acura TL, as well as some rental cars) and have never had any sort of damage like this. In having looked more closely at the pieces down there I'm surprised actually at how cheaply made they seem (at least from my untrained eye). But it's a lesson learned at least.

Will see what the shop says and see if they'd even be willing to zip tie the broken part up as a possible option - not too stressed about it as the broken part is under the car (i.e., not really visible unless looking there) and the car drives perfectly fine (at least for now).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: took the car to a body shop I trust this morning. Despite the condition the covering was in, they were able to reattach and screw everything back in (fender liner and engine splash shield on the driver's side) for only $55!! Now it doesn't look 100% new due to the damage/scraping from the curb, but everything is all screwed in (with screws that appear stronger and sturdier than the OEM fasteners that were there), back in place where it was before, and looks damn good - especially for what I paid. They also fixed it pretty fast - went to the shop at 8:30 and was out by a little after 9. As soon as the head guy at the shop looked at the damage he was able to describe to a tee what exactly I'd done to cause the damage without me even having to tell him LOL.
Think he was empathetic towards my situation - especially with it being a new car - and explained to me similar damage he'd had with his own car due to parking too far in over a curb which I think is why he let me get away with a low price. But, in any case, it's a lesson learned for me - will definitely be extra careful about parking over curbs going forward...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts