Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so Im a definite music head. Before I totaled my mitsubishi I had the whole 9 yards done. HU, speakers with amp, and the sub with another amp. Now I have the 3 and there's lots of things bugging me. i have the manual A/c unit so am I S.O.L. on the lcd screen? as in its completely gone forever not even glow orange? Also, I am planning on buying the new head unit from crutchfield as it comes with the free harness and replacement mount. Does anyone have the same one? how is it and how does it look? Lastly I was lookin to get comonent speakers but I realized I cant mount a new tweeter to the factory tweeter locations without modifying ( really not comfortable messing my car up if I screw up) so thats out the window. But I have some polks 6.5 laying around, can I use those?

·
Registered
171 Posts
For about $25 shipped, you can get a pair of blank sail panels that you can cut holes in to mount your tweets. Then you don't have to worry about screwing up the stock ones and can pop them back on if you ever need to.

Yes you can use your Polks. You'll just have to make/buy a adapter ring to mount them in the 6x8 hole.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Removing the door panels is super easy. There's two plastic flaps covering the only screws holding it in. Once those two screws are out, just give it a solid tug starting from the upper right corner and you'll be able to "pop" it off the 5 or so plastic poppers holding the edges in place.

There are a few wiring harnesses you need to reach in and unplug while the panel is loose before trying to set it down, so you don't stress any of the wires. Otherwise it's completely straightforward and should only take a minute.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay awesome guys...News update, So i go into my door panels today to find out my speakers have already been replaced by pioneers and I dont have 6 speakers =(..... The previous owner put the piece by the mirror to look like there was tweeters, but nothing behind door number 2... So, now change of plans, Im looking to get a couple of subs to match my 1200W directed amplifier and my capacitor. Also thinking about HOW to run the 4 GA wire from battery terminal to the trunk. Is everything in the car pretty much clips? All the help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay nobady answered this one>>> If I install an aftermarket HU to the car (I have manual A/C) do I lose it to the point it doesnt even glow orange? Can I possibly do anything to keep it at least on?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
well, usually if you are replacing the factory HU you will be physically removing it from the car. If you are installing a headunit in a place where you can leave the factory unit installed ( like where the ashtray is or even the glovebox), then yes it is possible to leave teh factory HU powered to it lights all up and looks like it's on. This is what I did in my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another suggestion. AutioControl makes a device that steps up the output voltage of the factory head unit and provides multiple pre-outs to connect amplifiers. You can also get them with remote a bass controller and USB port. A friend of mine just installed this set-up as follows: JL 75x4 amp, Audiocontrol ls7i, Jl 250/1 mono Amp, JL 5x7 components front and JL 5x7 coax rear, and MTX 10" sub box. The dealer that installed the system thinks that it is good enought to win comps for sound quality. There is no sound degradation from the factory head unit.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both of those sound like good ideas. i really like the the look of the stock HU. in reality what I really want is to connect a an amp and sub to my stock HU and maybe later an amp to my pioneer drivers. Ill look into the Audio control deal, as well as probably installing a new HU in the glove box. What all do I need to make the stock HU send signal to an amp, and does anyone have links or diagrams or just even info about what wires to move. I already got a 1200 amp but has no speaker level inputs so im guessing LOC?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts