Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just registered here because I'm looking at purchasing a Mazda 3 Sport and joining your community. I'm currently looking at a model which sounded like a really good deal...

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=426255&adid=7356303

That being said, I do have some questions.

1. To start the car, the shifter has to be moved to neutral and then started. Is this normal? My buddy who's a mechanic for Nissan says it shouldn't be like that, and no car should pass safety if that's the case. He reckons that it's a "Park Brake Safety Switch." Input?

2. When taking it for a test drive, I tried out the tiptronic mode (or whatever Mazda calls it), and when done with that, I tried to shift out of tiptronic mode, and it wouldn't do it. I couldn't even get it back to auto. It shifts fine in tiptronic, so I don't believe it's a problem with the transmission itself. So I left it with the dealer, and they said they'd call me back when the got it fixed so I could take it out again. Any idea what that might have been? Could it be serious?

3. Minor compared to the other two, but is there a hatch cover or parcel shelf that covers the trunk area? Because I couldn't find one in the car.

Aside from the above, I absolutely love this Mazda 3. So hopefully all goes well, and I'll become an active member soon enough.

Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thank you kindly!

JD

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=JDisturbed link=topic=134990.msg2904246#msg2904246 date=1233502564]
Hi all,

I just registered here because I'm looking at purchasing a Mazda 3 Sport and joining your community. I'm currently looking at a model which sounded like a really good deal...

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=426255&adid=7356303

That being said, I do have some questions.

1. To start the car, the shifter has to be moved to neutral and then started. Is this normal? My buddy who's a mechanic for Nissan says it shouldn't be like that, and no car should pass safety if that's the case. He reckons that it's a "Park Brake Safety Switch." Input?[/quote]

No this is not normal, at auto / tip should start in Park mode, like all other auto's

[quote author=JDisturbed link=topic=134990.msg2904246#msg2904246 date=1233502564]
2. When taking it for a test drive, I tried out the tiptronic mode (or whatever Mazda calls it), and when done with that, I tried to shift out of tiptronic mode, and it wouldn't do it. I couldn't even get it back to auto. It shifts fine in tiptronic, so I don't believe it's a problem with the transmission itself. So I left it with the dealer, and they said they'd call me back when the got it fixed so I could take it out again. Any idea what that might have been? Could it be serious?[/quote]

Also not good, should shift from auto to tip and back to auto at any time smooth, going back to auto mode will put it in the proper gear automatically.

3. Minor compared to the other two, but is there a hatch cover or parcel shelf that covers the trunk area? Because I couldn't find one in the car.
[/quote]

There should be a Hatch cover yes, comes in very handy when your shopping so your bags are hidden, also helps if you have a sound system and do not want others to know.
Being that it is used you might not get it, previous owner might have sold it.

I have one if you would like to buy it, we can talk.

Aside from the above, I absolutely love this Mazda 3. So hopefully all goes well, and I'll become an active member soon enough.

Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thank you kindly!

JD
[/quote]

Good questions, hopefully they get everything fixed, welcome to the neighborhood LOL!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the speedy response. I'll be sure to take those problems up with the dealer. Neither problem felt mechanical, so I imagine it's just a switch somewhere.

As for buying the hatch cover, I'll keep that in mind... but I have to have a car first... lol

Thanks again

JD

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
If there is a switch I dont know about it, hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Good luck with the car, hopefully they will work you a deal, 04 was the first year of that body style, with the miles on it, sohuld be pretty cheap.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Good luck with everything! and welcome to the boards... Tek pretty much said what I was going to say from you OP lol

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Walk away. If the transmission has problems like you describe the car is scrap. Find something that isn't beat to ratshit. Shouldn't be hard, there are lots of Mazda3s out there.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Dont buy to much money for an 04 and that Mileage wow. My it's an 05 i pay $14.000 with 32000Mileage on it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mileage is in Kilos, so its around 45k miles? I think. The trans is a simple switch problem. If it weren't the car would go through any gears. Sounds like a Neutral Saftey switch. Which may also control the "auto" mode as well. Everything is driven with computers and switches today. And they are all tied into eachother in one way or another.
Have the tranny switch fixed and enjoy.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
I agree that the ATX problem seems like a faulty micro switch in the gear selector itself. Beyond that I only have a few comments.

First I would make sure that they provide you with two working keys because if they only give you one key you'll have to pay the dealer to program a second one for you as a spare. If you have two keys then you can program in more (up to eight) yourself for free in about 15 seconds. Basically you want them to front the cost of programming a second key so that you can just buy a third key, program it yourself and never have to worry about having the dealer program the keys again.

Second I'm not sure what options come with what packages in Canada, however in the US all 5-doors have the "sport" package and include 17" wheels. The ones on that car are 16", though they could be standard there.

Third like Troy said there should be a cargo cover, though that seems to be an item that people pull off of their cars prior to selling for some reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts