Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Sirius radio and need to find a 5volt switched power supply for unit because I don't want to use the cigarette lighter adapter. Anyone know the closest and simplest place to tap???

T.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, I "cheated" with my XM Radio, because it seemed silly to me to fork over the money for a 12V -> 5V converter that was designed to be hard-wired in. Since there is tons of room under the center console (which is easy as crap to open up anyways), I bought a spare 12V adapter, spliced it into the power feed to the 12VDC cigarette adapter, secured it under the center console, and just used the car power adapter that came with my XM radio. I did use electrical tape to secure the plug to the power adapter to insure that the parts don't come apart. from there I just pulled the power wire behind the console to where I ended up installing my Inno. I did the exact same thing for the power adapter for my Garmin Nuvi.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, I'll have to give that a shot. It sounds like it would be a lot easier that running a while back from the fuse box through the firewall and into the dash.

Thanks for the Advise,

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
that's pretty much the only way to do it. The easiest way is to just get a female cig lighter socket with with wires attached, rather than trying to solder onto the unit itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts